Airbus Fleet

Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:18 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Airbus Fleet

Anyone heard if experience in operating the Airbus fleet has changed the company plan to get rid of them? In particular, the A321 neo is a sweet machine.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
They are currently all undergoing retrofits to make the interiors more uniform with the rest of the Alaska fleet, so they won't be going anywhere in the immediate future.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by deelmakur
Anyone heard if experience in operating the Airbus fleet has changed the company plan to get rid of them? In particular, the A321 neo is a sweet machine.
IIRC, Tilden specifically called out the 321neo as a separate discussion from the rest of the Airbus fleet. Leases aren't up for another 3-5 years for the most part, anyways.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by icelandman2
Tilden specifically called out the 321neo as a separate discussion from the rest of the Airbus fleet.
That is my understanding. The latest that I read is the A319/320 decision was delayed until later this year.

Since AS would have to order replacement planes, the MAX situation complicates things a bit. One article speculated that AS' timing may be fortuitous. Boeing may want to prime the order pump once the update is approved, so AS may be able to secure favorable pricing.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
This has been discussed somewhat in other threads, but AS went to an all Boeing fleet (particularly the 737 series) in order to streamline maintenance and crews. 737 pilots did not fly MD-90s, but a little challenge into scheduling when there were irrops. Last month I did a mid-con on a 737-7; all loaded up ready to go, then a maintenance issue. We sat there for almost an hour until the pilot said "folks, plane is broke, but they have another one across the terminal". Unloaded, went across the N-Terminal to a 737-9 and took off with the same crew. Nice to have that flexibility. I agree, the Airbus will be around for awhile, but I believe in the future, they will go back to a single platform.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
This has been discussed somewhat in other threads, but AS went to an all Boeing fleet (particularly the 737 series) in order to streamline maintenance and crews. 737 pilots did not fly MD-90s, but a little challenge into scheduling when there were irrops. Last month I did a mid-con on a 737-7; all loaded up ready to go, then a maintenance issue. We sat there for almost an hour until the pilot said "folks, plane is broke, but they have another one across the terminal". Unloaded, went across the N-Terminal to a 737-9 and took off with the same crew. Nice to have that flexibility. I agree, the Airbus will be around for awhile, but I believe in the future, they will go back to a single platform.
I think most likely is they simply let the Airbus leases expire, though that would be especially interesting if they choose to keep the 321neos.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by icelandman2
I think most likely is they simply let the Airbus leases expire, though that would be especially interesting if they choose to keep the 321neos.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them keep the 321neos, purely based on how efficient they are. However, not sure how effective they are currently when AS is scheduling them for LAX<>SFO turns with a final leg to SEA, as they did last week.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was talking to a maintenance supervisor who was sitting next to me on a flight, he said the long term plan is to get rid of the Airbii as the leases expire. Some are a ways out so are retrofitting those in the meantime.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by FluxTZ
I wouldn't be surprised to see them keep the 321neos, purely based on how efficient they are. However, not sure how effective they are currently when AS is scheduling them for LAX<>SFO turns with a final leg to SEA, as they did last week.
Havent the A321's been having engine issues? Not sure if it's still the case. Just boarded my first airbii this year. Wonder how 1F will fare...
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by beckoa
Havent the A321's been having engine issues? Not sure if it's still the case. Just boarded my first airbii this year. Wonder how 1F will fare...
All AS's neos have LEAPs, which have had some minor issues but nothing compared to the P&W GTF problems.
icelandman2 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Slightly off subject but now that "AIRBUS SERIES" represent 8 different variations, I'm hoping at least Aircraft types will be differentiated in our reservations. This action is way overdue.

Jiburi
bmvaughn likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jiburi
Slightly off subject but now that "AIRBUS SERIES" represent 8 different variations, I'm hoping at least Aircraft types will be differentiated in our reservations. This action is way overdue.

Jiburi
I've found expertflyer works well by looking at the seatmap. Too far out, a swap is probably likely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.