Wiki Posts
Search

[Rant] AS First Class Is a Bad Joke

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The question here is whether AS+VX combined numbers have gone up or down since the merger in SFO, LAX, and SAN. If they have gone down (ie, if they are losing customers) then it seems reasonable to assume that these promos (esp. the double transcon miles one which really is quite lucrative) are a desperate attempt to win back customers who they are losing, and it is also reasonable to assume that they would have been better off making different decisions to avoid losing those customers in the first place.
AS is 8.42% in May 2018, 9.52% in January 2018 in SAN. It's pretty obvious that the BTS stats aren't using a base of VX+AS for numbers before the merger was final in April 2018.

Oh, hey, look, it's a year later and we're still having the same circular arguments.

Also, no, it is not reasonable to assume what's in bold, because last I checked the combined airline is more than the pmVX customer base. It has to serve a lot more than that. You can't assume the pmAS customer base would be thrilled to lose the ability to upgrade for "free" and walk past some nice leather seats on their way to coach if by "different decisions" you mean "VX was the best airline ever and everything related to pmAS should have been buried in a landfill". You also can't assume there are a bunch of customers eager to buy F on white recliners on SIT-JNU, PDX-SAN or SEA-STL, enough of them such that AS would be profitably giving up some ability to sell coach fares on their 737s.

To put this another way: VX spent most of a decade trying to get market share, and was smaller than G4 when AS bought it. Yeah, THAT Allegiant, the one that flies beater MD80s out of Bismarck.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 24, 2019 at 6:40 pm
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So if they used SFO-think and told all the pmAS folks: "we're killing off Mileage Plan for Elevate, no more free upgrades, earning on flights is revenue-based, but cheer up, you're going to get to look at some nice white recliners when you walk back to coach under some cool mood lighting, sorry about the rope that keeps you from going to the F bathroom", do you think DL might have something to say about that in SEA? Might it hurt their competitive position against WN in SJC and SAN? Might it drive some PDX folks away?

You are asserting VX had the superior model for deriving revenue in F in the combined AS+VX markets, right? Just making sure. Because that was my point: the combined network is more than SFO. Replacing SEA-think with SFO-think doesn't help. The network is bigger than SFO or SEA.
Sure, it goes both ways. But standardizing is not always the answer.

(I tend to think there is probably a better case for a transcon subfleet than converting pmAS to pmVX F- though realistically you are ALSO talking about lie-flats and a Mint/UA/AA/DL competitor. White recliners are SO 2007. $$$$$ in capital investment and operational complexity here we come... and that is probably what scared AS off. Is having a transcon subfleet with lie-flats and everything else pmAS going to make sure everyone's angry since everyone stands to lose something that way? Who knows. But someone was going to lose something out of this deal.)
That might have worked. That operational complexity may have been worthwhile in retrospect.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying a solid upgrade rate on transcons, as well as an obscene amount of bonus miles.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, no, it is not reasonable to assume what's in bold, because last I checked the combined airline is more than the pmVX customer base.
Good point; I'm sure they lost some pmAS customers too. But, again, these promos are very aggressively trying to win customer loyalty in CA. This isn't like when WN sold a few flights to Hawaii for $49 because it's cheaper (and probably more effective) than paying for a huge media campaign; this is a promo that is good for 8 months and gets you about the cost of your flight back in miles value (if not more), which you can piggyback onto a shortcut to elite status. They are very clearly trying to increase the elite base here. This isn't about getting people to take a few extra flights; it's about getting CA residents to make AS their go-to airline for transcons.

Again, if their customer base has dropped here over the past couple of years, then I think it's pretty clear that they would have been better off not losing those customers in the first place, rather than driving them away and then fighting so hard to get them back (or replace them).

Also, this promo has not been particularly well advertised outside of people who already have AS accounts and got the email, so it seems to me that they are mostly targeting former customers, or occasional customers (rather than potentially new customers). I'll bet that even the FT community (who is very well informed compared to the general population) mostly don't know about it outside of this board.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point; I'm sure they lost some pmAS customers too. But, again, these promos are very aggressively trying to win customer loyalty in CA.
My impression from my last few transcons is that they're working on making up the loss of AA and DL partners at least as much as (or more than) losing pmVX pax. The planes are going out completely full and I haven't been seeing many people come off the upgrade list into F. People in F are either paying for it or getting upgraded before check-in. The group that's missing is group A - the repeat customers. They call the preboard groups and people board, they call the F group and people board, they call "A" and nobody moves. Then they call "B" and the MVP and PC seats board. They aren't having problems filling planes, but they seem to be trying to develop a loyal customer base out of CA that gets their status by flying AS, rather than mostly flying other carriers and booking their miles to AS because they it's a better FF program. I fly IAD-LAX tomorrow and the upgrade list is only 2 people, with about a dozen in BE waiting for seats, and 8 or 9 seats still selectable.
jinglish and williwaw like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
My impression from my last few transcons is that they're working on making up the loss of AA and DL partners at least as much as (or more than) losing pmVX pax. The planes are going out completely full and I haven't been seeing many people come off the upgrade list into F. People in F are either paying for it or getting upgraded before check-in. The group that's missing is group A - the repeat customers. They call the preboard groups and people board, they call the F group and people board, they call "A" and nobody moves. Then they call "B" and the MVP and PC seats board. They aren't having problems filling planes, but they seem to be trying to develop a loyal customer base out of CA that gets their status by flying AS, rather than mostly flying other carriers and booking their miles to AS because they it's a better FF program. I fly IAD-LAX tomorrow and the upgrade list is only 2 people, with about a dozen in BE waiting for seats, and 8 or 9 seats still selectable.
Interesting. The last 2 data points I've heard for SFO-BWI are planes that are maybe half-full with easy upgrades as MVP. I know that SFO-NYC tends to be full (and I've never been upgraded on that route -- I'm flying it in 2 weeks but I used GGUs both ways)

I was looking at getting in on an SFO-BWI trip but dates seem to have gone up a lot. My friend flew it 3 weeks ago, paid $250 rt and got upgraded both ways (he is just MVP and that has to be an R fare)
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Interesting. I've done fairly well on transcon upgrades as 75K. Our MVP friends are now 3 for 3 on transcon SFO-NYC upgrades to F. 2 of the 3 had open seats in F.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:47 am

Interesting. The last 2 data points I've heard for SFO-BWI are planes that are maybe half-full with easy upgrades as MVP. I know that SFO-NYC tends to be full (and I've never been upgraded on that route -- I'm flying it in 2 weeks but I used GGUs both ways)

I was looking at getting in on an SFO-BWI trip but dates seem to have gone up a lot. My friend flew it 3 weeks ago, paid $250 rt and got upgraded both ways (he is just MVP and that has to be an R fare)
Just looking at the next two weeks and not one flight is "half full" - there are several that are oversold, with many having a handful (meaning single digit numbers) of seats available. Not one flight comes close at all to being half full.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. The last 2 data points I've heard for SFO-BWI are planes that are maybe half-full with easy upgrades as MVP.
IAD-LAX is completely full. Looks like one F upgrade at the gate out of 4 on the list (two added this morning). Row 16 in PC without the recline got filled at the gate with people off the "awaiting seats" list, presumably BE.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Just looking at the next two weeks and not one flight is "half full" - there are several that are oversold, with many having a handful (meaning single digit numbers) of seats available. Not one flight comes close at all to being half full.
How can you tell if a flight is oversold?

Every single SFO-BWI flight for the rest of April is Y7. (There is 1/day except Saturday). 5/1 looks pretty full -- it's only Y2. Still, none of these are oversold. I don't know where you are getting this information from but it's wrong.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Apr 25, 2019 at 12:02 pm
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
How can you tell if a flight is oversold?

Every single SFO-BWI flight for the rest of April is Y7. (There is 1/day except Saturday). 5/1 looks pretty full -- it's only Y2. Still, none of these are oversold. I don't know where your are getting this information from but it's wrong.
I don’t know about oversold, but I looked at booking one for a mid year mileage run since there was talk of a high MVP upgrade rates. Everything I looked at was full, or close to full in F.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Today is an earnings call, might get some more data on how things are going.
eponymous_coward and Visconti like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX

I don’t know about oversold, but I looked at booking one for a mid year mileage run since there was talk of a high MVP upgrade rates. Everything I looked at was full, or close to full in F.
I was doing the exact same thing because my MVP friends are 3/3 on upgrades in the past month on this route.

I also don't know what happened to the fares. I'm not sure if they were bought during some sale or something but they got them for well under $150 each way for weekend trips in Main. Currently, the cheapest fare that I see on EF which books into main is $166 for R (and that's not an all in price -- it will price at $181 if your can find R space)

The cheapest saver fare expires in June, and the one that's filed with the same code (and August expiration) is $10 more. It looks like sources are steadily rising for this route. I'm not sure if that's seasonal or not. There are no cheaper fares filed for winter yet.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
How are you measuring full in F? Some of the Bay Area flights have had very light F loads, AS has been underselling F and overselling Y to compensate. It's not uncommon to see a flight with say 10 open F seats and being F4. Then, as departure gets closer, they start opening up the F inventory to higher numbers.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by channa
How are you measuring full in F? Some of the Bay Area flights have had very light F loads, AS has been underselling F and overselling Y to compensate. It's not uncommon to see a flight with say 10 open F seats and being F4. Then, as departure gets closer, they start opening up the F inventory to higher numbers.
I just use the simple, old fashioned way of looking at the seat map and seeing how many F seats are full.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw
Today is an earnings call, might get some more data on how things are going.
Generally, don't really pay attention to Airline CCs; but, after reading this thread, will definitely try to tune in. Looking forward to some of the insights from those here who will analyze the call & data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.