Wiki Posts
Search

[Rant] AS First Class Is a Bad Joke

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Can we just end the Alaska F is crap and I want a VX F or lie flat seats threads please? While we all whine about the lack of PDB's or a missed blanket there are literately tens of thousands of people who have never flown first class and thinks anyone who does much be rich or a celebrity. For most people, flying in first on any airline is a once in a lifetime treat. Lets all think back to the first time we got to sit in the big seats and how it made you feel! Just trying to keep things in perspective.
The perspective I have is we're on FlyerTalk, where it's all #FirstWorldProblems, all the time, and when a merger kills off (INSERT_AIRLINE_NAME) because (INSERT_SECOND_AIRLINE_NAME) ends up being the survivor, (INSERT_AIRLINE_NAME)'s fans will say (INSERT_SECOND_AIRLINE_NAME) is the WORST AIRLINE EVER, straight out of Simpsons Comic Book Guy, and (INSERT_SECOND_AIRLINE_NAME)'s fans will simply not get what all the hubub is about, (INSERT_SECOND_AIRLINE_NAME) is just fine.

Pretty sure someone has wonderful memories of Braniff or TWA out there...
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Now that you mention it, TWA had great coach seats and served hot meals on all flights in coach. I can't understand why AA changed it!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The perspective I have is we're on FlyerTalk, where it's all #FirstWorldProblems, all the time, and when a merger kills off (INSERT_AIRLINE_NAME) because (INSERT_SECOND_AIRLINE_NAME) ends up being the survivor, (INSERT_AIRLINE_NAME)'s fans will say (INSERT_SECOND_AIRLINE_NAME) is the WORST AIRLINE EVER, straight out of Simpsons Comic Book Guy, and (INSERT_SECOND_AIRLINE_NAME)'s fans will simply not get what all the hubub is about, (INSERT_SECOND_AIRLINE_NAME) is just fine.

Hey, I've got wonderful memories of AS, with three course meals between SFO/OAK <-> SEA/PDX (usually served on one tray) and splendid 3 course meals, along with a salad cart with "choose your own" toppings on SEA/ANC. This is not to mention the PDBs, and bubbles not reminiscent of DayPlane (the effervescent sibling of NightTrain, now served in F).

I do not have memories of Braniff, nor of TWA, except LAX T3, even long after TW was kaput, the TW decor and dust in the Bored Room lived on!
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The point is, if you pay for something, you should get it.
Not if there isn't enough market to sustain the product.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WrightHI
Not if there isn't enough market to sustain the product.
Then don't sell it.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by jjmadison
This is the most glaring problem, in my opinion (even more than the subpar interior maintenance). All it would take is improved training of FAs to improve service. There is no underlying cost to Alaska.

FAs sitting in the galley for three hours of a six-hour flight should not be SOP. Unfortunately, on the majority of transcons I've flown since the new training completed in Jan 2019, this is almost always the case. I've spoken with three FAs about this, two that came from VX and one from AS. All three said the newer training was less clear on proper etiquette in F cabin, with "if you have time" or "at your discretion" being common refrains from the trainer. The result: FAs feel they have wide latitude in how they offer First Class service which, in turn, is leading to frequent fliers and elites seeing wide disparities in service.

This is an entirely fixable problem by Alaska, but so far, there doesn't seem to be an interest in fixing it. Again, to those who will argue Alaska is trying to save pennies wherever possible, improving service minimum standards would not cost Alaska a dime.
Don't forget this is the airline which attempted cost cutting by proposing to remove Biscoff cookies. When employees resisted the 'cookiegate', management modified SOP for attendants to not offer the cookie but to show and ASK if the passenger wants a cookie and then restricting them to only 1!

All this training leniency is firmly with one eye on the costs with the logic being lazy FAs will save costs.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Would you have accepted a 2-3 hour delay to address the other issues? I've probably had a good 25 Airbus flights just this year and the electric F seats seem to be an issue every couple flights and at least one of them has to be manually placed in an upright position. I'm glad to see the new F cabins coming, though it sounds like it's going to be at a glacial pace that will take us into 2020. Maybe come back and give Alaska a try next year.
On my last flight on 320, F, the foot rest was broken.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Can we just end the Alaska F is crap and I want a VX F or lie flat seats threads please? While we all whine about the lack of PDB's or a missed blanket there are literately tens of thousands of people who have never flown first class and thinks anyone who does much be rich or a celebrity. For most people, flying in first on any airline is a once in a lifetime treat. Lets all think back to the first time we got to sit in the big seats and how it made you feel! Just trying to keep things in perspective.
Or... and I'm just spit balling here... but another option might be for you to simply not read/ignore threads you don't like or are not interested in, yes?

This thread is literally prefaced with "[Rant]" That was sort of your first clue. Don't you think that perhaps it's easier to modify your own personal behavior than modify the behavior of large numbers of anonymous people on the internet?

Furthermore, your observation regarding "flying in first on any airline is a once in a lifetime treat" is ludicrous relative to this former. FlyerTalk, in general, is not a place where "flying in first on any airline is a once in a lifetime treat" kind of people tend to hang out. Their needs can likely be met elsewhere on the internet (e.g. TripAdvisor)

Regards
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by scubadu
Or... and I'm just spit balling here... but another option might be for you to simply not read/ignore threads you don't like or are not interested in, yes?

This thread is literally prefaced with "[Rant]" That was sort of your first clue. Don't you think that perhaps it's easier to modify your own personal behavior than modify the behavior of large numbers of anonymous people on the internet?

Furthermore, your observation regarding "flying in first on any airline is a once in a lifetime treat" is ludicrous relative to this former. FlyerTalk, in general, is not a place where "flying in first on any airline is a once in a lifetime treat" kind of people tend to hang out. Their needs can likely be met elsewhere on the internet (e.g. TripAdvisor)

Regards
My comment was directed not only at this rant, but the other dozen or so ongoing threads all on the same topic and all just as pointless as VX doesn't exist and is no longer a comparison point. And thank you for pointing out that I am free not to read specific threads, I had no idea. Lastly, my point about a "once in a lifetime" was to focus on this really is a first world problem and wouldn't it be nice to remember that on occasion?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:03 am

My comment was directed not only at this rant, but the other dozen or so ongoing threads all on the same topic and all just as pointless as VX doesn't exist and is no longer a comparison point.
Well, clearly people are participating in these discussions, which means they desire to do so. If that is the case, why exactly, should you care if they choose to do so and why, specifically, should they heed your command to not do so?

And thank you for pointing out that I am free not to read specific threads, I had no idea.
You say you know that... and yet...here you are actively participating on a thread you don't believe should exist. Recognize the irony?.

Lastly, my point about a "once in a lifetime" was to focus on this really is a first world problem and wouldn't it be nice to remember that on occasion?
And as another poster pointed out, pretty much everything discussed on FT falls into the "first world problem" category. If you don't want to discuss first world problems why exactly are you here again? I mean, we are not exactly curing cancer here on FT...

Furthermore, you conveniently neglected to answer my main question, which is simply, whose behavior do you think it's easier to control, your own or all the rest of us? Given that, according to you, there are "dozens" of the same ongoing threads and this thread is currently at ~100 posts, the answer to that question should be abundantly obvious...

Enjoy your coach seat.

Regards

Last edited by scubadu; Apr 24, 2019 at 11:12 am
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:53 am

I do have wonderful memories of Braniff. It was the very first plane I ever flew on, with my parents, as a young child! ^

Regards
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Given that, according to you, there are "dozens" of the same ongoing threads and this thread is currently at ~100 posts, the answer to that question should be abundantly obvious...
The CA tcon double points promo is an indication that the AS product, in its current state, isn't competitive in the lucrative tcon markets, where there are multiple options, such as out of SFO/LAX in particular, especially the LAX market, which is downright brutal. Before this promo, even on coach, I was essentially indifferent on whom to choose on my tcons; between paying the AS elite tax or DL/AA. The former I get more points, but the later I have an arrival lounge to shower/freshen up before meetings. With the promo, fine, I'll pay the tax & spray on extra cologne on landing (assume PP will be refused at lounge and will not pay F fare).

In my view, absent another 08 type recession/depression, the SFO/LAX/NYC markets will have an ample supply of premium flyers, both business and leisure, to sustain some level of constant & stable demand.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I do not have memories of Braniff, nor of TWA, except LAX T3, even long after TW was kaput, the TW decor and dust in the Bored Room lived on!
I have mixed opinions about TWA.

Positive memories: my first TATL on a fairly new L-10-11 Tristar in the 70's. A very generous FFP in the 80's-90's, with enough promotions and bonuses to keep my mileage balance flush even when I was redeeming lots of awards. My awards were both long-haul premium cabin and last-minute short-haul Y, where 15,000 miles would often get me a "last seat on the plane" type of one-way award, easy 3-4 cents per mile in some cases. Towards their end of life, the promotions got even better (I was earning R/T flight certificates good for F travel, even though I was using them for cheap Y trips) and they started comping 6-month Ambassador club memberships to mid- and high-tier elites.

Negative memories: really just one category: in the final couple years, all kinds of operational problems. I usually had an STL/MCI segment in my itin, and that was delayed or canceled more than it flew. I had multiple occasions where I just gave up on TWA and either walked over to Southwest or got in a rental car. And that final merger with AA led to such an incredibly toxic customer service environment that I didn't want to fly them at all any more.

Only Braniff memory I can recall is that they operated the Concorde. Not a codeshare - they actually registered the airplane at IAD, slapped a Braniff registration on the side, took the keys, and operated it domestically with their own pilots and crews. I never got to ride it myself, but I always thought that arrangement was intriguing. I'm sure they lost a boatload of cash but probably just thought of it as a marketing expense. With 727's flying close to Mach .9, it wasn't like the Concorde was really much faster.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Originally Posted by Progrowth
Well, I and most Virgin America customers weren't too thrilled when Alaska purchased VX, and I'm afraid it's worse than we ever anticipated. On a recent trip from Puerto Vallarta to Los Angeles where they fly the old VX Airbus with 2 rows of white seats, the flight was delayed almost an hour for 'lots of maintenance'. Only the maintenance to get us airborne was performed. First class seats were stuck in the upright position. No entertainment system. The food was inedible, and to top it off the First Class FA invited a parade of main cabin passengers to use the FC toilet, resulting in a foul smell as there are only 2 rows. In addition, there is no maintenance being performed on these once sparkling aircraft, paint peeling off partitions, carpets were filthy, this was once honored with best domestic airline every single year when operated by VX. When I protested to Alaska on my return that this was not the first class experience we paid for at $1000, they gave us '3000' award miles, yes you read that right, not enough to get you anywhere, not even in main cabin ... so goodbye AS, I gave you the benefit of proving you would uphold the standards of VX and you failed miserably.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Visconti
The CA tcon double points promo is an indication that the AS product, in its current state, isn't competitive in the lucrative tcon markets, where there are multiple options, such as out of SFO/LAX in particular, especially the LAX market, which is downright brutal.
The entity that had completely transparent insight into VX's books because they own them has deliberately gone "nah" when given the option to bury the AS F product for the VX product fleetwide, or run a transcon subfleet.

That seems to be a good indication that VX's product wasn't actually competitive either in "lucrative tcon markets". That and how nobody, I mean NOBODY, is bothering to copy VX F like DL SkyPesos™ and NK/FR's ancillary revenue fees get copied.
jinglish and Flying for Fun like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.