Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Favorite seat on Q400, with just a briefcase?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite

i’ve got a few flights on a Q400 this spring. I’ve never flown one before (at least not in recent memory since I began flying for work). I’m always happy for extra legroom in the bulkhead row when I fly WN. Would 1B be a good choice for a Q400?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
If you don't care about a window, 1B is by far the best way to go. My favorite part of becoming an MVP was being able to select row 1 on the Q400s!
twitch76 and NoLaGent like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Here is a picture of 1B and the bulkhead in D, I'm 6'2 and the bulkhead here probably provides about or an inch or two more than WN bulkhead. As you can see 1B is essentially infinity legroom.

twitch76 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:13 pm

As you can see in this photo, 1B allows you to stretch into the galley due to the small bulkhead wall only blocking 1A. The other bulkhead seats have less room to stretch out than normal seats in my opinion. The briefcase will of course have to go up top.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
I agree with all the 1B comments, always my fave except in the winter when coming off a warm weather destination flight in SEA to then freeze your ... off sitting in 1B waiting for the plane to load to your final destination.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:18 pm

If row 1 isn't available, row 20 is the way to go. Back door is normally open so you can be on/off quickly
twitch76, NoLaGent and tusphotog like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I'm a window person, so I actually prefer 1D, but 1B is technically the best seat in the house.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CZBB
If row 1 isn't available, row 20 is the way to go. Back door is normally open so you can be on/off quickly
Or 19D/E. Sometimes would get served first with enough time for a second round on the shorter hops.

1B is my favorite, but there are couple of downsides:
- get bumped from people boarding
- no under seat storage and sometimes the folks in 2A/B will push their bags forward particularly if you board late
- in seat tray table doesn't rise very far above your lap if you're a big guy
- infinite leg room is shared with the forward FA seated facing you. Hopefully they brought a book instead of staring!
tusphotog likes this.

Last edited by rustykettel; Apr 18, 2019 at 12:00 pm
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I'm a window person, so I actually prefer 1D, but 1B is technically the best seat in the house.
On the Q400, is there a 1D? I think the bulkhead row on the right side of the aircraft is 2C/D as there is a storage bin across from row 1. I like 1B however I am OK in 2C/D as there is enough room to get by your seatmate should you have too.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
On the Q400, is there a 1D? I think the bulkhead row on the right side of the aircraft is 2C/D as there is a storage bin across from row 1. I like 1B however I am OK in 2C/D as there is enough room to get by your seatmate should you have too.
That is correct, no 1C/1D. 2C/2D are the bulkhead seats on the right.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by rustykettel
- infinite leg room is shared with the forward FA seated facing you. Hopefully they brought a book instead of staring!
You do get to play footsies with the FA in that seat.

I prefer 20A or B or 19C or D myself. Off first and I find I sleep better back there. Although to be fair, I think the Q400 has some sort of sleeping gas come out of the vents because I'm asleep the minute they light the engines.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:19 am

And in 2F you don't really have a window; just the small one in the exit and you have to lean forward to see out. I'm usually 3D if I want to be on the right side of the plane and have a window view. 1A for left side.

Last edited by ucdtim17; Apr 18, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Just a heads up: On the Q400 seat maps the seat letters are A, B, D and E. No C or F.
RAD_PDX likes this.

Last edited by Westcoaster; Apr 18, 2019 at 12:00 pm Reason: forgot about F.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Just a heads up: On the Q400 seat maps the seat letters are A, B, D and E. No C or F.
From your lips to the Eskimo's ears. Was looking at the fleet info page because I couldn't remember the right side lettering. Oops.

https://resource.alaskaair.net/-/med..._Q400.ashx?v=1
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
That's pretty funny. If you go to book a flight the seat maps for Q400s on the SEA-PDX flights I checked show A, B, D and E. No F. Fruit basket upset.

I tried to copy said seat map over here and failed miserably. Perhaps someone with better C and P skills can help?

And I should add that when I've flown on Q400s in the past they always announced that 1B and 2DE were exit row seats so I believe that A, B, D and E letters are actually on the plane.

Last edited by Westcoaster; Apr 18, 2019 at 12:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.