Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Favorite seat on Q400, with just a briefcase?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite seat on Q400, with just a briefcase?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I enjoy looking out the window, but always want the freedom to get up to use the lav without disturbing my fellow passenger(s) so that means I typically choose an aisle with the exception of this plane....1A is my go-to seat if available because you have a great view...ok legroom (not nearly as much as 1B), but best of all, you can get up without disturbing the person in 1B. If I'm with my kids (who can't yet sit in the exit row), my go-to row is 3. They haven't always been using the back door but they always use the front door so you're first on and off for sure in row 1....back in row 20 you just need to hope they don't decide to only use door 1. I heard one of the flight attendants (I think) say that if they are parked next to a jet, they can't use the rear door.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
1A is my go-to seat if available because you have a great view...ok legroom (not nearly as much as 1B), but best of all, you can get up without disturbing the person in 1B. If I'm with my kids (who can't yet sit in the exit row),
Here's another piece of trivia. Seat 1A is not considered an exit row.

No idea what would happen if you tried to put a kid there.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

Originally Posted by tusphotog

I got the following dialogue when I just selected 1A:
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by tusphotog

The website still thinks it is and will give the exit row warnings during purchase and OLCI. Not sure either if it will blog a kid based on the age.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by rustykettel

From your lips to the Eskimo's ears. Was looking at the fleet info page because I couldn't remember the right side lettering. Oops.

https://resource.alaskaair.net/-/med..._Q400.ashx?v=1

Is the window 2E? Whatever the Letter is, I like the 2nd row (which is really the 1st row) on the right side, window...

Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Is the window 2E? Whatever the Letter is, I like the 2nd row (which is really the 1st row) on the right side, window...

Technically yes, however it is a tiny window built into the emergency exit door.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Technically yes, however it is a tiny window built into the emergency exit door.
That is correct, but I like it better than 1A as it has more legroom and you don't get knocked by other pax like you do in 1B or 2D
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
That has got to be one of the worst window seats on the plane....legroom is ok in row 2 (right side), but the window is perfectly positioned in 1A.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
That has got to be one of the worst window seats on the plane....legroom is ok in row 2 (right side), but the window is perfectly positioned in 1A.
I would second this. I grabbed 2E at check-in once, before I was an MVP and could select it at booking, and it was pretty terrible. I should have realized there was a reason the elites hadn't selected it yet. Hopefully 1A is not as bad (although it was just claimed to have less leg room than 2E, so we shall see).
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:27 pm

I would second this. I grabbed 2E at check-in once, before I was an MVP and could select it at booking, and it was pretty terrible. I should have realized there was a reason the elites hadn't selected it yet. Hopefully 1A is not as bad (although it was just claimed to have less leg room than 2E, so we shall see).
It does, considerably so. I'm 6'2, so I value legroom more than anything. I find 1A to be painful after more than 45 minutes.

And I blame it all on that mini-bulkhead.

Last edited by NoLaGent; Apr 18, 2019 at 5:36 pm Reason: added pic
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:07 pm

I'm a fan of the back row aisle seats. Skip past all the old folks and college kids who are terrible at boarding, make a good first impression with the flight attendant, and I get moved to my own row if there's one available more often than not.

Also for larger folks, the aisle seatbelts are marginally more slack than the window ones.
williwaw likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by VarianceHammer
I'm a fan of the back row aisle seats. Skip past all the old folks and college kids who are terrible at boarding, make a good first impression with the flight attendant, and I get moved to my own row if there's one available more often than not.

Also for larger folks, the aisle seatbelts are marginally more slack than the window ones.
I agree on this - back of the bus is better on the Q400's. Though sometimes they can't unload from the back and then you have to wait awhile. But it's only happened once for me.
BW Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Just a heads up: On the Q400 seat maps the seat letters are A, B, D and E. No C or F.
Any idea why Horizon letters Q400 seats this way? The E75s are A, B, C, D which is, uh, how the alphabet works.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:12 am

Dates back to the Q200s, maybe before, when the last row had 5 seats, v this ABCDE and the C seat had the most legroom on the plane!
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by johnp012001
Dates back to the Q200s, maybe before, when the last row had 5 seats, v this ABCDE and the C seat had the most legroom on the plane!
Wow this brings back old memories! I think the last Q200 I took was a flight from OTH to PDX In 2006(?), which AS/QX doesn't serve anymore, They only had one FA on those Q200s. Thanks for mentioning QX used to fly Q200's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.