Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

7+ full-fare Y 75K on 17 person F waitlist ?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

7+ full-fare Y 75K on 17 person F waitlist ?!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhurwitz
Also [nit] for PC it's not midnight Pacific time, but rather midnight in the time zone of the departure city of the flight.
Hmmm... I didn't realize it was premium cabin only.

As for time zone of the flight... are you sure? I'm sure that I've selected premium seats "early" when leaving from Hawaii before.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: AS 75k, SEA-BOS expert level 2000
I also fly sea-bos monthly and I'm at about 70 percent on upgrades. 75k. Mostly cheaper fare classes.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
As for time zone of the flight... are you sure? I'm sure that I've selected premium seats "early" when leaving from Hawaii before.
I'm not sure about that direction, but I am about the other.

I fly BOS/NYC/WAS-SFO often, and I'm always able to pick a PC seat at midnight ET, which is 3 hours earlier than midnight PT.

It's possible that the actual algorithm is something like earliest(PT, time zone of departure) which would explain the ex-Hawaii case as well.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Spiffieman
I also fly sea-bos monthly and I'm at about 70 percent on upgrades. 75k. Mostly cheaper fare classes.
This depends a lot on day of week... I also fly this route pretty frequently, and I'm 3/8 so far this year.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Chuckle. Im doing this flight tomorrow, but the redeye airbus @ 9pm. FC has been sold out for 5 weeks. Only time I ever actually pay for FC. 736 still has about 5 seats open. Going home Ive already cleared.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:38 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by SEA737
I booked right before the 75K upgrade window opened, so about 5 days before flight.

Thanks for sharing those! I did consider posting this there, but I figured a separate discussion thread might make sense given how rare this is. I do fly SEA<->BOS very often (1+ times a month) and as a 75K I've been upgraded every time, so seeing this really surprised me, making me even think it might be an AS bug, so I wanted to get input from the community. Could ask there instead if that makes more sense.
Any 75K who bought an immediately upgradeable fare (Y,S,B,M,H) before you did would be on the list ahead of you.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Hmm... I need to buy more H fares to get me farther up the list and beat out Y fares purchased AFTER me.... esp. on my 60+ long waitlist flights!
#ASWaitlistWarfare

For reference:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/membership-benefits/complimentary-upgrades#class

Under: How do complimentary upgrades work?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rune87
Chuckle. Im doing this flight tomorrow, but the redeye airbus @ 9pm. FC has been sold out for 5 weeks. Only time I ever actually pay for FC. 736 still has about 5 seats open. Going home Ive already cleared.
The Airbus hasn't been good for upgrades on that flight for sure. Haven't flown it to BOS for that reason.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmodemd
Hmm... I need to buy more H fares to get me farther up the list and beat out Y fares purchased AFTER me.... esp. on my 60+ long waitlist flights!
#ASWaitlistWarfare

For reference:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/membership-benefits/complimentary-upgrades#class

Under: How do complimentary upgrades work?
It's instant upgrade... on H you might get upgraded before someone after you even buys their tickets.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SEA737
The Airbus hasn't been good for upgrades on that flight for sure. Haven't flown it to BOS for that reason.
Its more that I can actually recline those seats and sleep on the trip. But yes, if I didnt have a time issue Id be on the 335pm flight. Much better upgrade rates.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
It's instant upgrade... on H you might get upgraded before someone after you even buys their tickets.
My previous thinking has been why pay for an instant upgrade fare when no upgrades are available, and the holdback on U on my flights is very strong. I didn't think about the breakpoint at H on the advantage on the waitlist during the clearing window. On those huge waitlist flights, generally only instant upgrade fare classes have a chance at clearing. Of course the cost difference between H and my typical R is probably pretty high....
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmodemd
My previous thinking has been why pay for an instant upgrade fare when no upgrades are available, and the holdback on U on my flights is very strong. I didn't think about the breakpoint at H on the advantage on the waitlist during the clearing window. On those huge waitlist flights, generally only instant upgrade fare classes have a chance at clearing. Of course the cost difference between H and my typical R is probably pretty high....
If you buy an instant upgrade list, you are put on the queue immediately. Everyone else is added to the queue when their upgrade window opens (note that there is a different queue for 75k so if you are not 75k, all the 75k's are always ahead of you no matter what)

H is an expensive fare class.

I just did a quick fare search for SFO-JFK on EF. The cheapest R that actually books into R (not X) is $134 (not including taxes) and has a 21-day advance purchase requirement.
The cheapest H is $410 and has a 7-day advance purchase requirement.
The cheapest fare that books into the first class cabin is an I fare (surprisingly, not an economy cabin underlying fare code -- you can book this even if economy is sold out, so long as there is I space) at $484

If there are R space, and you are 21+ days out, I don't see much value in paying $410 for the H fare unless there is U space. Once you are paying that much you might as well pay the extra $74+tax and guarantee yourself a first class seat.

If you are closer in and/or there are only more expensive economy buckets available, the value proposition might change. Eg, at 7 days out, with only Q or more expensive fares available, the cheapest Q might be $362, the cheapest H might be $410, and the cheapest fare that books into the first class cabin might be $664 (if I space is still available) or $714 (if it's not). You might be able to justify the extra $50 to get H instead of Q and jump ahead of all the 75Ks already on Q fares, or who buy after you (although I probably still wouldn't).

The problem is that if you do this when you book early, it's really expensive to get H compared to other options, and if you do it close-in, it loses a lot of value (since it becomes more likely that there are people ahead of you who bought full Y for the refundability). And of course you can't actually see how many people are ahead of you on the list so it's hard to make an informed decision.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:07 am

If there are R space, and you are 21+ days out, I don't see much value in paying $410 for the H fare unless there is U space. Once you are paying that much you might as well pay the extra $74+tax and guarantee yourself a first class seat.
Ok, AS is smart enough to elevate the price any way into F class. I guess that's why I never bothered to pay more attention towards the right column .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.