Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Packing 5 fresh lobsters for 3hrs nonstop fly LAX-SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Packing 5 fresh lobsters for 3hrs nonstop fly LAX-SEA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by garykung
I would suggest against this... AFAIK, lobsters can't stay alive without water.
The places at Boston Logan that sell live lobsters packed to travel long distances and arrive alive might disagree. There are safe and reliable methods to do this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
The Logan Lobster run...always a fun trip to make. And with 3 daily flights between Seattle and Boston you can show up in the morning, enjoy the day, and bring fresh lobster home to the family. All thanks to Alaska Airlines.
SpicyMorale likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If we're talking about 'Maine' lobsters - Homarus americanus - you don't know far enough.

If the OP gets reasonably fresh lobster, a little moisture - salt-water-soaked newspaper - and cool from a gel pack/blue block should have lobsters fine for 24 hours from packing to consumption.
This.

You need to keep them cold (gel pack). You need to provide a small amount of moisture (damp paper towels or newspaper). They will keep for a day under these conditions, maybe two. If they die before you are ready to cook them, don’t eat them.

I can’t speak authoritatively about the clawless imitation that west coasters refer to as lobster.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by williwaw
In the running for best thread of 2019
or saddest thread of 2019, depending on one's perspective.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by williwaw
In the running for best thread of 2019
Originally Posted by DCAFly
At least 5 of them, no doubt.

Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whatever they are, they are not "fresh" if OP is picking them up in Los Angeles, schlepping them to LAX, checking them in, picking them up and schlepping them to a pot of boiling water. The question to OP is, how long have those lobsters been out of a tank of sea water at the time you obtain them and how many more hours is it to the pot of water in which they boil?

As others note, the one certain thing is that if they are dead when unpacked, toss them.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If we're talking about 'Maine' lobsters - Homarus americanus - you don't know far enough.
While this may be true, but I have a pretty good idea that the OP's lobsters would not be 'Maine' lobsters because OP will travel from LAX instead of the East Coast.

Originally Posted by BearX220
The places at Boston Logan that sell live lobsters packed to travel long distances and arrive alive might disagree. There are safe and reliable methods to do this.
I am not saying there is no reliable way to do this. The problem is if OP can pack the lobsters well enough to preserve it.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Until recently, lobsters could be transported as emotional support animals but no longer on AS, DL, UA, AA, WN and a number of other airlines. It would be abusive to the policy to claim they are emotional support animals even though people could say "if my lobster is out of my sight, I get anxiety", "where's my lobster dinner?"
Wah.... wait... until recently... are you serious?!

Lobsters..... how did we let it get that bad....
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: BAEC
Some people are plain cruel.
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by u01sss3
Some people are plain cruel.
Yes, especially when a lot of people are likely eating their emotional support lobster right after deplaning!
jjmadison and Mauibaby2008 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, especially when a lot of people are likely eating their emotional support lobster right after deplaning!
Eating certainly improves my emotional state
jjmadison, wrp96, DCAFly and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I want to know where the OP is getting these lobsters in LA - a restaurant? A fish store? He certainly is not getting them fresh out of traps so they have already had a transcontinental journey.

And everyone just fluffed over my caveats about how to cook them - Five 3-lb. lobsters is a LOT of lobster, and I truly hope he is not surprising whoever it is in Seattle with this gift! I know I don't have pots big enough!

And I also hope he heeds the warnings of NOT cooking/eating them if they are DOA.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Sound like this is a bad idea to bring to SEA. We will just eat them at home before the trip. Thank you everyone for your comments!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hondaman82
Sound like this is a bad idea to bring to SEA. We will just eat them at home before the trip. Thank you everyone for your comments!
That's a lot of lobster. If you're looking for dinner guests...
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
SpicyMorale likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.