Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Routes Do You Want Alaska Airlines to Fly? (2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Routes Do You Want Alaska Airlines to Fly? (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
My requests...

either codeshare AA SMF-LAX (honestly more desirable given the frequencies), or fly it on own metal once or twice a day, early morning out, later evening back, in order to enable connections to LIR/LTO/ZIH/etc so that I can stop flying on separate tickets to keep the costs reasonable. whenever I try to ticket AA/AS on the same ticket w/ these flights the costs become astronomical.

also, it would be nice if SMF-SJD nonstop would go from 1x a week to 2x or 3x a week. or, if they would change the 1x a week to be a different day than WN operates their nonstop...currently both airlines fly it on Saturdays only. I enjoy SJD but I don't need a week down there and I hate connecting to get there and back.

2x a day (morning/afternoon departures from each end) on SMF-BOI would be nice as well, but I'm not sure they're filling the 1x a day on the Q400 anymore now that WN is offering 737s on the route.

none of these is likely to happen anytime soon, so I guess I will probably not be putting foot on an AS plane yet again this year.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
My requests...

either codeshare AA SMF-LAX (honestly more desirable given the frequencies).
Isn’t LAX one of the airports AA and AS are prohibited from code sharing out of as part of the ASVX merger agreement with the DOT?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
PDX-STL

If anyone is proficient in looking through the BTS stats, I'd be curious to know what the loads are on this route. It would be nice to get an idea of how likely this revival is.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by ashill

Isn’t LAX one of the airports AA and AS are prohibited from code sharing out of as part of the ASVX merger agreement with the DOT?
no idea but wouldn’t be surprised.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

no idea but wouldn’t be surprised.
They are allowed to codeshare on routes they don’t compete on.
ashill likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by MAH4546

Except for hub-hub routes from LAX, which still wouldn't apply to SMF.

https://www.justice.gov/atr/case-doc...15971/download
ashill likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Except for hub-hub routes from LAX, which still wouldn't apply to SMF.

https://www.justice.gov/atr/case-doc...15971/download
Thanks. I hadn’t realized that the DOJ decision somehow considers LAX neither a key Alaska airport nor a key American airport (while all three of MDW, DAL, and FLL are key American airports!).
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Out of “non-key” airports like LAX. They aren’t allowed to codeshare out of key airports, which was the source of my confusion; I hadn’t realized that LAX isn’t, for purposes of the merger approval document, a key airport for either airline.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
PDX-STL

If anyone is proficient in looking through the BTS stats, I'd be curious to know what the loads are on this route. It would be nice to get an idea of how likely this revival is.
Agree, would be nice to see this route back, but I don't know whether STL can handle a third AS route currently. I believe they only have one gate at STL (C15). The former STL-PDX flight used to depart around the same time the STL-SAN currently departs, flanked by a morning and evening STL-SEA flight.

Also, I suspect many AS passengers out of STL are connecting onward, so AS would have to wonder whether they really need another feeder route. Loads on the existing flights seem fairly good, especially now for the summer, so maybe it could be supported, but I suspect there are potential logistics challenges.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: UA1K
anything out of SNA
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
PDX-IAH
PDX-JFK (as a non-redeye)
PDX-YYC (I feel like this used to be an option)
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Pick the top business destinations from SFO/SJC and stick with them

As to what routes what I love Alaska airlines to fly, how about do a simple exercise of picking the top business destinations from SFO/SJC and sticking with them? If they really want to make Bay Area a true hub of loyal customers who can be very high yielding, they have to serve top business destinations. Right now there are several like ATL and HOU that are completely missing, and others like DAL where Alaska can't get it scheduled straight. When an opportunity came for me to start traveling frequently to DAL earlier this year, there were 7 flights a day from both SFO and SJC, nicely spread throughout Now there are only 5, and the last flight from DAL leaves at 4 PM, which is way too early for a business traveler. And I keep having to go back to dreaded AA when I would love to start traveling exclusively with Alaska.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
As to what routes what I love Alaska airlines to fly, how about do a simple exercise of picking the top business destinations from SFO/SJC and sticking with them? If they really want to make Bay Area a true hub of loyal customers who can be very high yielding, they have to serve top business destinations. Right now there are several like ATL and HOU that are completely missing, and others like DAL where Alaska can't get it scheduled straight. When an opportunity came for me to start traveling frequently to DAL earlier this year, there were 7 flights a day from both SFO and SJC, nicely spread throughout Now there are only 5, and the last flight from DAL leaves at 4 PM, which is way too early for a business traveler. And I keep having to go back to dreaded AA when I would love to start traveling exclusively with Alaska.
Like DEN.....
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
And I love how they made it seem like they were downsizing DAL when they cut all east-bound flights from there, but then when the city proposed Delta share the gates with Alaska they suddenly decided to add more flights just to block the proposal... can they please just make up their mind about DAL?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by metallo
Agree, would be nice to see this route back, but I don't know whether STL can handle a third AS route currently. I believe they only have one gate at STL (C15). The former STL-PDX flight used to depart around the same time the STL-SAN currently departs, flanked by a morning and evening STL-SEA flight.
Also, I suspect many AS passengers out of STL are connecting onward, so AS would have to wonder whether they really need another feeder route. Loads on the existing flights seem fairly good, especially now for the summer, so maybe it could be supported, but I suspect there are potential logistics challenges.
I would suspect that gate space is not much of a problem at STL. It's a ghost town compared to the days of TWA. 2 concourses are closed. One concourse is not used that much.

In the C concourse, C27 is vacant and usable. C9, next to C15, might be usable and is vacant.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Jun 13, 2019 at 12:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.