Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Routes Do You Want Alaska Airlines to Fly? (2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Routes Do You Want Alaska Airlines to Fly? (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Returning to reality, AS mainline has been shrinking for several months now and they aren't likely to grow in 2019, so while proposing a new route it might also be useful to suggest which routes to cut to be able to fly the new one
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:55 am

SLC to PHX flight?

Moving from Portland to Phoenix, where Salt Lake City is my frequent destination. Did some research on flight route and find that most non-stop flight between these two cities are with AA, Delta or Southwest. Alaska operated flight only goes from PHX to SEA (or PDX) then to SLC. There is no way to use it as it is much more expensive and time consuming.

Alaska did have partnership with AA so you can book AA non-stop flight on Alaska website, however, AA flight doesn't provide ANY elite benefit to AS elite right now.

I like my Alaska elite program but am thinking to switch to Delta. I would like to suggest Alaska to operate a non-stop flight between PHX and SLC, or at least connected via Las Vegas. Both city are big metropolitan area with more than million population. The distance is short so guaranteed profitable. This also help Alaska to provide a much better coverage away from Northwest.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by gongbo
I would like to suggest Alaska to operate a non-stop flight between PHX and SLC, or at least connected via Las Vegas. Both city are big metropolitan area with more than million population. The distance is short so guaranteed profitable.
There's no way they would battle on a route that goes from a DL to a AA hub that is extremely insular, where they would get absolutely killed on frequency, a pricing war and easily poke AA in the side that they have no business of doing. Not to mention they would have zero brand exposure there, and even if they could turn any type of profit, they'd be better served using the aircraft in a better market.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moving from Portland to Phoenix, where Salt Lake City is my frequent destination. Did some research on flight route and find that most non-stop flight between these two cities are with AA, Delta or Southwest. Alaska operated flight only goes from PHX to SEA (or PDX) then to SLC. There is no way to use it as it is much more expensive and time consuming.

Alaska did have partnership with AA so you can book AA non-stop flight on Alaska website, however, AA flight doesn't provide ANY elite benefit to AS elite right now.

I like my Alaska elite program but am thinking to switch to Delta. I would like to suggest Alaska to operate a non-stop flight between PHX and SLC, or at least connected via Las Vegas. Both city are big metropolitan area with more than million population. The distance is short so guaranteed profitable. This also help Alaska to provide a much better coverage away from Northwest.
Who is going to fly this route on AS? They don't have a large elite base in either city. They can't compete with an airline that does. They don't even fly PHX-SFO outside of a few months a year, and they do have elites in SFO.

Honestly, PHX is not well-served by AS. They have a small part of a small terminal there. Your idea to switch airlines is probably a good one if you are moving there.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Who is going to fly this route on AS? They don't have a large elite base in either city. They can't compete with an airline that does. They don't even fly PHX-SFO outside of a few months a year, and they do have elites in SFO.

Honestly, PHX is not well-served by AS. They have a small part of a small terminal there. Your idea to switch airlines is probably a good one if you are moving there.
As they have already broken up with almost all other US based airlines, I just feel they can move faster for growth. Partnership with AA is so limited that one airline elite can hard find values of using the other's domestic flights.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

Status match to AA and be done with it. No way on earth is AS starting PHX-SLC, a route that has not one but two hubs for two major airlines on either end. Not to mention WN.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chugach

Status match to AA and be done with it. No way on earth is AS starting PHX-SLC, a route that has not one but two hubs for two major airlines on either end. Not to mention WN.
AA doesn't status match. You can pay a fee to do a challenge (it doesn't matter if you have any status anywhere else)

If DL flies this route I'd definitely choose them over AA though. DL is currently the best domestic airline; AA is among the worst apart from their premium routes.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:03 pm

AA doesn't status match.
No but they might randomly give you status! I was given 6 months of platinum and a shortcut to status in January and I've never flown on a paid AA ticket.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
SLE to SEA

SLE to SEA

At least, a group of local businesses are working on it, so perhaps it could happen....
See:
https://www.flysle.com/
https://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...nt/3382959002/
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:20 pm

AA doesn't status match. You can pay a fee to do a challenge (it doesn't matter if you have any status anywhere else)

If DL flies this route I'd definitely choose them over AA though. DL is currently the best domestic airline; AA is among the worst apart from their premium routes.
Agree on DL’s superiority to AA, but AA has a vastly superior network ex-PHX (where the poster is now based) than DL. WN too, for that matter.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for bringing back 3x daily on YEG-SEA starting in Sept!

YEG-PDX and YYC-PDX could work. AC does YYC already. Also think YYZ-SEA could work with Alaska’s better service over AC.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Thanks for bringing back 3x daily on YEG-SEA starting in Sept!

YEG-PDX and YYC-PDX could work. AC does YYC already. Also think YYZ-SEA could work with Alaska’s better service over AC.
We can probably Delta for dumping SEA-YEG for the AS increase.

I don’t see YYC-PDX on AS happening with AC and WS both on it already.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
SLE to SEA

At least, a group of local businesses are working on it, so perhaps it could happen....
See:
https://www.flysle.com/
https://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...nt/3382959002/
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away Horizon flew Metro IIIs to SLE.....unfortunately I never got to take that *short* flight before they ended.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away Horizon flew Metro IIIs to SLE.....unfortunately I never got to take that *short* flight before they ended.
SeaPort tried it too.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

AS serves PHX, SEA, ANC & SFO seasonally during spring training. AS, UA & the rest of the airlines out of T2 will be moving to the newly expanded T3. T2 is slated for demolition next year. As it stands now, T2 is quick and convenient, has close proximity to parking and the cell phone lot and is the closest to I10 and the rental car centre. Check-in counters are steps inside the terminal and security is always a breeze.

James in Somerset West

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.