Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Routes Do You Want Alaska Airlines to Fly? (2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Routes Do You Want Alaska Airlines to Fly? (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
It’s already a double hub, and it wouldn’t add much of anything to AS’s network in terms of connectivity.
It would be more about connecting the LAX and SFO hubs, as well as the SAN focus city, with PHX. To be relevant in those markets, PHX is a must-have for the long term. Making all the PHX-area elites happy would just be a plus.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by creditcardmarauder
Agreed. I've mostly been living near LAX/SFO/SEA these past few years, and it's heartbreaking to see how limited AS service is out of PHX. I think AS has a huge opportunity in PHX as a potential future hub, as lots of folks who live down here in the desert (retirees, etc) came here from cloudy Seattle. I imagine that traffic from SFO and LAX to PHX would be substantial, too.

AS runs SFO-PHX during spring training. On my last flight, there was 7 open F seats and a smattering in Main. I doubt it would be viable! AS codeshares with AA on PHX-SJC & PHX-SAN. Competing on LAX-PHX would be a bloodbath.

James
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
It’s already a double hub, and it wouldn’t add much of anything to AS’s network in terms of connectivity. So while I agree that significantly more O&D oriented AS service from PHX to the west coast and maybe even ANC would be great and plausible, PHX as an AS hub in the sense of building the flow for connections seems very, very unlikely. STL seems more plausible, and that’s highly unlikely.
AS already flies non-stop PHX-ANC. Destination cities from PHX are PDX, SEA, PAE & ANC.

James
ashill likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Snowdevil
It would be more about connecting the LAX and SFO hubs, as well as the SAN focus city, with PHX. To be relevant in those markets, PHX is a must-have for the long term. Making all the PHX-area elites happy would just be a plus.
Sure. I was responding to the suggestion that AS should establish a hub in PHX. I meant they wouldn’t add beyond-PHX connectivity; hard to imagine that making any sense.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Asked for EWR-BUR previously in this thread, and appreciate the recent BUR frequency adds to SEA and PDX. Either way, more BUR!
chrisl137 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: DM, AA, UA,HH,Priority, Amtrak, Starwwod, BA, Marriott
Absolutely. Any routes from PHX to the east coast (WAS/PHL/NYC/BOS) would be fantastic. I'd switch in a minute.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by ETManning
Absolutely. Any routes from PHX to the east coast (WAS/PHL/NYC/BOS) would be fantastic. I'd switch in a minute.
I wonder how AA and WN would respond to PHX-JFK.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by ETManning
Since WN doesn't fly there and AA has a dubious commitment to domestic JFK service I wonder how AA and WN would respond to PHX-JFK.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
eug-mfr/rdm/lmt
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
AS runs SFO-PHX during spring training. On my last flight, there was 7 open F seats and a smattering in Main. I doubt it would be viable! AS codeshares with AA on PHX-SJC & PHX-SAN. Competing on LAX-PHX would be a bloodbath.

James
UA has 4 daily SFO-PHX flights. Southwest has 5, and another 6 from OAK, as well as some one-stop direct flights through socal.

I wish that AS would fly one of these routes as well but they would get crushed.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
AUS-LAX
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
UA has 4 daily SFO-PHX flights. Southwest has 5, and another 6 from OAK, as well as some one-stop direct flights through socal.

I wish that AS would fly one of these routes as well but they would get crushed.
JetSuiteX will also have 3 from OAK starting in October so the route is getting even more crowded from the Bay Area.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
SLC-IAH
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I'd love to see more routes out of secondary airports in California. Top of my wishlist is:

* OAK - NYC
* OAK - BUR
* BUR - NYC
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
AS runs SFO-PHX during spring training. On my last flight, there was 7 open F seats and a smattering in Main. I doubt it would be viable!
Competing on LAX-PHX would be a bloodbath.
Pretty much, but this is the wishful thinking thread. Nothing is unreasonable if you're a FlyerTalk Airlines Vice President of Network Planning.

Now if AA decided to ramp down PHX severely, I could see AS trying something in PHX like they did in SJC/SAN (though NK/F9/G4 would jump too, probably DL as well). But I don't see AA dehubbing PHX anytime soon.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.