Wiki Posts
Search

Award Australia-US

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
What I disagree with is the Poster telling the OP that a cash ticket is necessary!
Read the post again. Emphasis added.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
That may mean BNE/SYD/MEL to LAX/SFO/DFW and then a separate cash paid ticket to Florida.
I stated a reason why it may be necessary. It is quite possibly more reasonable to just bite the bullet and pay cash than take roundabout routings that might include an overnight (the timings on the SFO flight almost certainly mean you would have a forced overnight + possible hotel stay somewhere, at which point skipping the AS award availability/backtracking to an AS hub dance for just buying a separate ticket may be better).
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 8, 2019 at 6:13 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: airponts
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Last week Dec / first week Jan is a peak time for Aust NZ travel. Local airlines will sell almost every seat for good money. If they do not someone made a mistake.

Unusual to get an award as a codeshare. Usually its the native flight. LA fly SCL-AKL-SYD, and do sell AKL-SYD & SYD-AKL. There are other non Au/NZ airlines that sell trans Tasman flights. Often cheaper than the local airlines
Actually there are often deals around this time, most Australians and Kiwis move around on the 19-21 Dec when kids break up for school then they dont go anywhere until Jan 6 back to work day. Flights often have reward availability at this time over the holidays. Qantas often do a J class sale too.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
There is tons of availability.

If you want a stopover, there are worse places than Fiji! But if you are just doing a connection it seems like you are trading away a lot of product quality and convenience for that availability.
Ton of availability for an inferior hard J cabin product. LOL
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportbiz
I have found that inferior J products I can actually book with miles are much superior to wonderful hard product J unicorns that I can't actually book with miles (it might look nice on some blogger's web page but if my butt isn't going to be sitting in it, it's not much good to me), or being forced into Y because that's all that's available. 2 J on QF for Australia-USA isn't strictly impossible but it's not easy- premium class on those routes is the single most sought after redemption in the FFP world. CX might be easier at times but it's a significant detour.

It's easy to get all here on FT when somebody isn't getting a hot Krug shower and double flat bed in some blinged out suite for their redemption, but frankly millions of people fly these 14-16 hour routes in fairly uncomfortable coach seats every year. Fly in a recliner instead and not feel like Torquemada had a go at me? OK.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 9, 2019 at 12:28 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes but you also get to stop in Fiji.

Like I said, if you have no desire to go to Fiji, it's probably not great. But I consider 55k miles a good deal to fly to Fiji, stay for as long as I want, and then fly to Australia, even if the hard product is not the best.

I'm actually considering doing this instead of ticketing my held QF F award because I've never been to Fiji.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Read the post again. Emphasis added.

I stated a reason why it may be necessary. It is quite possibly more reasonable to just bite the bullet and pay cash than take roundabout routings that might include an overnight (the timings on the SFO flight almost certainly mean you would have a forced overnight + possible hotel stay somewhere, at which point skipping the AS award availability/backtracking to an AS hub dance for just buying a separate ticket may be better).
Wow! How a single word can change context. I did miss that. Thank you for the clarification. I happily conceed and apologize to the poster.

I will hold out on expounding for the benefit of the newbie OP to make an informed decision.

James in Kagali. Tomorrow is Flyday!
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I have found that inferior J products I can actually book with miles are much superior to wonderful hard product J unicorns that I can't actually book with miles (it might look nice on some blogger's web page but if my butt isn't going to be sitting in it, it's not much good to me), or being forced into Y because that's all that's available. 2 J on QF for Australia-USA isn't strictly impossible but it's not easy- premium class on those routes is the single most sought after redemption in the FFP world. CX might be easier at times but it's a significant detour.

It's easy to get all here on FT when somebody isn't getting a hot Krug shower and double flat bed in some blinged out suite for their redemption, but frankly millions of people fly these 14-16 hour routes in fairly uncomfortable coach seats every year. Fly in a recliner instead and not feel like Torquemada had a go at me? OK.
Ugh, rolleyes...indeed. Added emphasis is mine. Yes, it is impossible, and that is my point. Airlines promoting programs with benefits that don't exist.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ugh, rolleyes...indeed. Added emphasis is mine. Yes, it is impossible, and that is my point. Airlines promoting programs with benefits that don't exist.
Impossible for you, apparently. Seen plenty of folks on the AS forums book QF F/J. I've gone through a million+ miles of AS miles (CX, AA, BA, JL, AY that I can recall off the top of my head). If I had 700k of AS miles and I'd been here for a decade without figuring how to use them, I'd wonder what I was doing wrong (or just use a booking service and pay the cash to burn them if answering the question wasn't worth my time, and cheerfully walk away from the program).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.