Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Partners to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Alaska Partners to Europe

Any opinions/recommendations as to the best option among the Alaska partner airlines for a premium economy class seat to Europe? My company won’t pay for business class. Alternatively, anyone have any insights as to ease and reasonable cost of an upgrade to business/first? I’ve successfully bidded for an upgrade on Iceland air before - not sure if there’s options like that on some of the other partners.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by osubeavers01
Any opinions/recommendations as to the best option among the Alaska partner airlines for a premium economy class seat to Europe?
From where to where? BA's non-stops YVR/SEA/SFO/SJC/LAX/SAN-LHR are obvious choices if you need to go to London.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
From where to where? BA's non-stops YVR/SEA/SFO/SJC/LAX/SAN-LHR are obvious choices if you need to go to London.
Between PDX and Amsterdam and PDX and Milan
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Whatever you do, you'll have to make a stopover (Unless you flew the nonstop PDX-AMS with Delta). You could always fly to JFK on AS and connect to AA or BA for LON and AA for Milan.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Whatever you do, you'll have to make a stopover (Unless you flew the nonstop PDX-AMS with Delta). You could always fly to JFK on AS and connect to AA or BA for LON and AA for Milan.
I’m totally fine with a stopover and multiple different airlines (very used to it with PDX as a home base). Mostly, I’m just trying to figure out which airline would be the most comfortable for the transatlantic leg and also net me some Alaska miles. I’ve been using United for the last several years for all my Europe trips, but would rather focus on keeping most of my miles in one program, so considering using an Alaska partner instead
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
As well as PHX.

James in Kigali
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
SEA to DUB or ORD to DUB via Aer Lingus than DUB to Amsterdam or Milan.

Get AS miles. Can bid for business. If going as a pair/couple then consider the sides of plane as opposed to center these are two seats and relatively well spaced
osubeavers01 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Xrayman
SEA to DUB or ORD to DUB via Aer Lingus than DUB to Amsterdam or Milan.

Get AS miles. Can bid for business. If going as a pair/couple then consider the sides of plane as opposed to center these are two seats and relatively well spaced
but they don’t have Premium Economy, I think?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't Saga (FI) now marketed as premium economy?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
I've had very good experiences with Condor. The mileage earning on AS is good. And if you can find a reasonable differential between PE and Business you can call in to upfare. I don't think they have a bidding system but they will sell upgrades at the gate. The service is much better than BA (IME) and while the Business seats aren't fully flat they are certainly more comfortable than on FI.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
PDX - FRA - AMS on DE? The buy up to "business" is relatively inexpensive.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
The issue I’d worry about with DE for work trips is the lack of backup options if there is anything wrong along the way. Most of the flights out of the PNW are once a day I think.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by williwaw
The issue I’d worry about with DE for work trips is the lack of backup options if there is anything wrong along the way. Most of the flights out of the PNW are once a day I think.
Also Thomas Cook has engaged banks to sell off Condor so if the flight is far in the future, there is no guarantee they will be an AS partner--especially if LH takes them back.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Well, I may have been too optimistic about my travel options. We book our travel through Concur and with whatever settings my company has, neither Condor nor Icelandair show up as an option. It looks like I can go with either AA or BA. From the earnings chart for Alaska, it looks like they’re fairly evenly matched for points accrual in premium economy. Anyone have any experience/preferences between the two? I’m most interested about the hard product. Sleep is far more important to me than whatever food or drinks they might serve on the plane
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by osubeavers01
Well, I may have been too optimistic about my travel options. We book our travel through Concur and with whatever settings my company has, neither Condor nor Icelandair show up as an option. It looks like I can go with either AA or BA. From the earnings chart for Alaska, it looks like they’re fairly evenly matched for points accrual in premium economy. Anyone have any experience/preferences between the two? I’m most interested about the hard product. Sleep is far more important to me than whatever food or drinks they might serve on the plane
Do you have a preference for the length of your domestic leg (PDX-SEA-XXX vs. PDX-JFK-XXX)? BA flies nonstop from SEA-LON so that could be an easy choice. The equipment is going to be roughly the same for each: 777s w/ possible 747 on BA. If you are willing to do PDX-ORD-LON, you can do the AA 787 ORD-LON. Everything, including sleep, is more enjoyable on a Dreamliner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.