Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Can we buy tickets with AS mileage for all family members?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: ANA

hi. I am very new here.

1)I wanted to apply Alaska airline credit card. Can we buy tickets by using mileage for my kids? I mean different name from mileage is OK to buy ticket?

2)what is the best way not let it expired and maintain our kids' Alaska mileage?

thank you guys.

Last edited by osatowa; Apr 5, 2019 at 1:23 am
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG
The simple answer is yes. We do it all the time.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your kids are flying on mileage award tickets, they won't earn any miles on their flights and there will be no miles to worry about expiring.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
As other's have mentioned - Yes you can use your miles to buy tickets for other people - even friends who are of no relation.
I've used my miles to help out friends and get them a ticket plenty of times since I rarely use the miles on myself (always chasing status).

And as LBJ mentioned, if you're kids are flying on a redemption ticket - they will not earn miles for those flights. If they already have earned some miles and you want to ensure they don't expire - you need to ensure they have some mileage activity at least once every 24 months. The easiest way to do that would be to try to make sure you take them on a revenue (not redeemed) flight at least once every 2 years if possible.

If you're coming up on 2 years of inactivity - you might be able to talk to customer service and let them know they're minors and see if they can grant an extension - not guaranteed but the customer service is generally pretty nice with Alaska.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nearlysober

[...]

If you're coming up on 2 years of inactivity - you might be able to talk to customer service and let them know they're minors and see if they can grant an extension - not guaranteed but the customer service is generally pretty nice with Alaska.
Alternatively, you could make a purchase through the AS Shopping portal, donate some miles from their account or sometimes take a survey.

James in Kigali
williwaw likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much everyone.
all you guys comments are useful.
I asked because i am planning to book flights but one possibility is AS. so that why I wanted make sure everything works for us before buy it.
THank you again guys!
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

One more question for experts.
Can we combine the kids' mileage to use?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by osatowa
One more question for experts.
Can we combine the kids' mileage to use?
Yes, but not for free.
You can "gift" miles from one account to another, but I believe there is a fee of some sort for doing that.
Others may know better.

Another thing you MIGHT consider (it may be a good value to you, it may not, but I thought I would mention it) is buying miles.
Alaska periodically runs special deals for buying miles; one special just ended a couple weeks ago, but they were offering a 40% bonus if you bought a certain minimum number of miles.
I typically don't think that this is a very good value for money, but SOMETIMES it can be.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Alaska will typically add 1 mile to children’s accounts (if asked to do so) in order to prevent mileage earned from expiring. The onus is on the account guardian to make the request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.