FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Boeing 737/738/739 Reconfiguations (New Cabin Mods) - 2018 and Later) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1963405-boeing-737-738-739-reconfiguations-new-cabin-mods-2018-later.html)

NoLaGent Mar 31, 2019 5:39 pm

Boeing 737/738/739 Reconfiguations (New Cabin Mods) - 2018 and Later)

In light of the other thread regarding Airbii and given dayone's comments, I searched for a thread concerning these, and couldn't find it.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a master thread somewhere addressing this? Or an external source that I'm not aware of?

I have a fair amount of travel coming up on the 8s and 9s in Q2, and was curious.

Many thanks and Mods, if this can be redirected, I appreciate that as well.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8c9374afe6.png

CalanMan Apr 1, 2019 1:48 am

I think you just created the master thread! There’s one about the -700’s, but I think that they’re all done now. I’m sure, for now at least, it’ll have less traffic than the Airbus thread, just because reconfiguring the 800/900’s is a bigger task, with less customer impact, that hasn’t really started yet. But it’ll be good to have a thread for chatter about these reconfigs.

As for an outside resource, the best one I know of is https://alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com/ AFAIK, whoever is maintaining it is anonymous, but is very well informed.

NoLaGent Apr 1, 2019 9:43 am

Originally Posted by CalanMan (Post 30951432)
I think you just created the master thread! There’s one about the -700’s, but I think that they’re all done now. I’m sure, for now at least, it’ll have less traffic than the Airbus thread, just because reconfiguring the 800/900’s is a bigger task, with less customer impact, that hasn’t really started yet. But it’ll be good to have a thread for chatter about these reconfigs.

As for an outside resource, the best one I know of is https://alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com/ AFAIK, whoever is maintaining it is anonymous, but is very well informed.

Wow, that site is fantastic!

I just assumed that the Boeings were being reconfigured at the same time as the Airbii, but are they being done after? 2021 and beyond?

Putzy Apr 1, 2019 10:27 am

There aren't any cabin updates/retrofits scheduled. N570AS will go in for paint pretty soon, then nothing until Sept.
The 2Ku satellite installs are about to start accelerating. For those that like to track flights, watch for MLB Orlando Melbourne International Airport.

rcarovano Apr 5, 2019 12:16 pm

No First Class seats for sale for LAX <-> DCA

My wife and I are booked on a round-trip itinerary between LAX and DCA in May. It's on two different Airbus series aircraft and when I booked them on Alaskaair.com, it returned N/A for the First Class Cabin for both flights. My assumption is that they are not selling First Class because the aircraft may be scheduled for the interior cabin updates. Does that make sense?

CalanMan Apr 5, 2019 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by rcarovano (Post 30968878)
My wife and I are booked on a round-trip itinerary between LAX and DCA in May. It's on two different Airbus series aircraft and when I booked them on Alaskaair.com, it returned N/A for the First Class Cabin for both flights. My assumption is that they are not selling First Class because the aircraft may be scheduled for the interior cabin updates. Does that make sense?

That's interesting, I just looked and can confirm that I'm seeing the same thing. AS1006 on 5/9 is showing 0F available, but expert flyer seat map shows 8 First seats, all empty. I'd say this is likely an inventory filing issue, rather than related to cabin updates. Regardless of what aircraft they're flying, it'll have at least 8F. (Q400s can't make that hop, even if AS were silly/stupid enough to want to provide the turboprop experience on such a long, prestigious route.) So it would be safe for them to sell those 8 First seats. Something else is going on here. Most flights on the route that week have 3-6ish F inventory. So something is up, and I'd bet it's just a mistake.

brettsir Apr 7, 2019 3:13 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent (Post 30950464)
In light of the other thread regarding Airbii and given dayone's comments, I searched for a thread concerning these, and couldn't find it.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a master thread somewhere addressing this? Or an external source that I'm not aware of?

I have a fair amount of travel coming up on the 8s and 9s in Q2, and was curious.

Many thanks and Mods, if this can be redirected, I appreciate that as well.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8c9374afe6.png

From everything I have heard, there are no plans to reconfigure the current fleet of 800’s and 900’s with the new interior. The Airbii and the 700’s were the only ones not aligned with the current brand (VX interior and/or no dedicated PC section) so they are getting the refresh, which was originally supposed to launch with the MAX9. If the 800’s and 900’s do end up getting a retrofit, I would bet my bottom dollar it wouldn’t begin until the end of 2020 at the very least.

fly18725 Apr 7, 2019 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by brettsir (Post 30973868)

From everything I have heard, there are no plans to reconfigure the current fleet of 800’s and 900’s with the new interior. The Airbii and the 700’s were the only ones not aligned with the current brand (VX interior and/or no dedicated PC section) so they are getting the refresh, which was originally supposed to launch with the MAX9. If the 800’s and 900’s do end up getting a retrofit, I would bet my bottom dollar it wouldn’t begin until the end of 2020 at the very least.

There had been discussion about reconfiguring 800s as MAXs arrive, removing one lav in the back and placing the aircraft on shorter, non-ETOPS north-south routes.

UAPremierExec Apr 7, 2019 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725 (Post 30975994)
There had been discussion about reconfiguring 800s as MAXs arrive, removing one lav in the back and placing the aircraft on shorter, non-ETOPS north-south routes.

I really wish Alaska would have went for the mid-cabin lav.... that seems to be the ONLY positive benefit to flying on a United 737-900....

bbinchi Apr 7, 2019 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by brettsir (Post 30973868)

I could have sworn that Alaska Airlines had stated they would reconfigure the First Class cabins on 737-800 and -900 aircraft to the same standard (new seats including foot rests) as on the Airbus and 737-700 aircraft. Did I dream that?

UAPremierExec Apr 7, 2019 8:48 pm

... they will be reconfigured around the time the SFO Lounge is complete...

bbinchi Apr 7, 2019 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec (Post 30976594)
... they will be reconfigured around the time the SFO Lounge is complete...

About the same time as complete climate reversal in the underworld, eh?

brettsir Apr 7, 2019 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by bbinchi (Post 30976487)
I could have sworn that Alaska Airlines had stated they would reconfigure the First Class cabins on 737-800 and -900 aircraft to the same standard (new seats including foot rests) as on the Airbus and 737-700 aircraft. Did I dream that?

I vaguely remember that, but winds change and minds do as well. There are no plans to retrofit the 800"s with the sky interior (other than the 3-4 delivered with it), much less a full cabin retrofit. If anything happens, I'd expect a new bulkhead and class divider but nothing more.

SNAnghbr Apr 11, 2019 10:09 am

The weebly site now has a section for Gogo2KU internet installs. Looks like as mentioned up tread a couple of 900ERs are at KMLB for KU install. Also by accident found a twitter account that has general fleet status information on all of Alaska's fleets.

https://twitter.com/alaskafleet

ASA_1 Apr 11, 2019 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by brettsir (Post 30976873)
I vaguely remember that, but winds change and minds do as well. There are no plans to retrofit the 800"s with the sky interior (other than the 3-4 delivered with it), much less a full cabin retrofit. If anything happens, I'd expect a new bulkhead and class divider but nothing more.

i do think the eventual intent is to update the -800s with a similar level of effort that the -700s received. New seats, new bulkhead coverings and class divider, new carpet, and blue LED lighting. I’m not sure about the old -900s. I believe the -900ERs will eventually get the facelift as well, but given they already have mood lighting, likely just the carpet, seats, and bulkhead/ class divider.

It it makes sense they’re prioritizing the airbus fleet given the revenue /profit impacts of having additional premium/First class seating available. The 737 updates will be purely cosmetic.

My wondering mind is still wondering if they plan to add blue lighting to the E175s. The Alaska magazine Circa November 2018 said that was the plan, but radio silence since then.