Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Boeing 737/738/739 Reconfiguations (New Cabin Mods) - 2018 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missamo80
The best known source for fleet status is https://alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com/.
Print Wikipost

Boeing 737/738/739 Reconfiguations (New Cabin Mods) - 2018 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by brettsir
I vaguely remember that, but winds change and minds do as well. There are no plans to retrofit the 800"s with the sky interior (other than the 3-4 delivered with it), much less a full cabin retrofit. If anything happens, I'd expect a new bulkhead and class divider but nothing more.
Feedback from the -700 retrofit seem positive, so here’s hoping the -800s get the facelift too!
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I really wish Alaska would have went for the mid-cabin lav.... that seems to be the ONLY positive benefit to flying on a United 737-900....
Alaska has been fully against mid cabin lavs, as they limit future cabin reconfigurations.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by ASA_1

i do think the eventual intent is to update the -800s with a similar level of effort that the -700s received. New seats, new bulkhead coverings and class divider, new carpet, and blue LED lighting. I’m not sure about the old -900s. I believe the -900ERs will eventually get the facelift as well, but given they already have mood lighting, likely just the carpet, seats, and bulkhead/ class divider.

It it makes sense they’re prioritizing the airbus fleet given the revenue /profit impacts of having additional premium/First class seating available. The 737 updates will be purely cosmetic.

My wondering mind is still wondering if they plan to add blue lighting to the E175s. The Alaska magazine Circa November 2018 said that was the plan, but radio silence since then.

Feedback from the -700 retrofit seem positive, so here’s hoping the -800s get the facelift too!
Retrofitting planes that are less than 5 years old is expensive. This is the company that moved old 800 seats onto dying 400s and some 700s to avoid buying new seats. This may happen a few years down the line since the new airbus interiors have 17inch wide seats (737 standard) instead of the ~18inch seats the airbus can accommodate. But for now, the current Boeing fleet probably won’t receive anything more than new lights and bulkhead/class dividers.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:24 pm

Retrofitting planes that are less than 5 years old is expensive. This is the company that moved old 800 seats onto dying 400s and some 700s to avoid buying new seats. This may happen a few years down the line since the new airbus interiors have 17inch wide seats (737 standard) instead of the ~18inch seats the airbus can accommodate. But for now, the current Boeing fleet probably won’t receive anything more than new lights and bulkhead/class dividers.
Precisely for this reason, I was surprised they would bother with replacing the seats on several nearly brand new A321neos. They could have just reconfigured the F cabin with the new Recaro seats at 40” pitch (seat back screens are an option on the seat they chose), and then retained the nearly brand new Y seats.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd

Precisely for this reason, I was surprised they would bother with replacing the seats on several nearly brand new A321neos. They could have just reconfigured the F cabin with the new Recaro seats at 40” pitch (seat back screens are an option on the seat they chose), and then retained the nearly brand new Y seats.
I mentioned in another thread the 321s have the most to gain pax wise in the reconfiguration process, that’s probably why the 321’s are getting sped through reconfigurations given the upcoming summer travel season. N928VA, the newest Airbus in the fleet was the first to have its (less than a year old) cabin replaced. As far as the Airbus is concerned, no expense will be spared to eliminate the remnants of VX and bring the cabin experience in line with the AS brand. The Boeing’s however, that’s already Alaska, so not much will change. (Look at the progress of repainting the karate kicking k livery that was replaced in 2014)
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:45 pm

All of the -800s are 7+ years old, so I’m not sure what you’re getting at.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:58 am

The Disney Cars plane heads to paint today. SEA-OAK-SEA-VCV.

steve64 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Putzy
The Disney Cars plane heads to paint today. SEA-OAK-SEA-VCV.
Any idea if it's getting a new Disney look, or will it be fading into the crowd?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Looks like N570AS's paint spa getaway was cancelled at the last minute. I'm guessing that tomorrow's AS 9410 will be it going in instead?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Why does she need repainting? shes beautiful!!!
steve64 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by bbinchi
About the same time as complete climate reversal in the underworld, eh?
Will you PUHLEEZE stop being so optimistic.AS contracts out all of their retrofits and remodels to the Washington state D.O.T., where a one year project takes a minimum of 5 years.....
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'm mostly wondering when N607AS will get repainted.
jrl767 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
N568AS (Employee Powered livery) was repainted and is no longer listed among the commemorative aircraft. Horizon version N452QX is also gone and shows repainted.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:40 am

All of the -800s are 7+ years old, so I’m not sure what you’re getting at.
That was referring to the 900ER fleet. Yes the 800's are a bit long in the tooth, but they were retrofitted with premium class not too long ago and their interiors match the 900ER's. My thoughts are once the A320's start to leave the fleet, their seats will be used to retrofit the 800's. In Alaska's eyes, the 800's already fit with the brand, so there is no reason to retrofit them with anything other than possibly lights and finishes like the bulkhead cover. Even putting in the sky interior and bigger overhead bins has been shot down for the time being.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:44 pm

I recently flew on a 737-800 and was quickly reminded why I avoid them. Gosh, they feel super old. I was in first class and my window literally was missing the window shade (the FA was taken aback), the power outlets weren’t working. The old 737-800s and non-sky interior -900s are REALLY starting to show their age. I hope AS either retires them in line with future MAX deliveries, or at the very least gives them 737-700 facelift.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.