Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Chase Ultimate Rewards AS Ticket and MVPG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya

Last October I booked a roundtrip PDX-JFK flight using Chase UR points. I ended up needing to return sooner so I purchased a cash return flight and cancelled the UR travel ticket. I decided to try and book a new ticket today using that remaining UR value. I was hoping the MVPG status would make this easier but UR is unable to verify status and say they need to charge the change fee and suggest I follow up with AS for a refund. I was going to try, but the trip I wanted to use the remaining ticket value on is a month after I booked the original JFK-PDX ticket and UR will only use the value within 12 months of the original purchase date.

Just a FYI on the experience using UR and AS.

--Update--

Quick chat with AS reservations and they confirm the change fee waiver won't apply on the bulk fare via UR. Lesson learned.

Last edited by williwaw; Mar 29, 2019 at 1:00 pm
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I don't understand why you didn't just change the itinerary through Alaska. From Alaska's end it's equivalent to a cash fare, it doesn't matter that you booked via the UR portal.
SF1K, jinglish and icelandman2 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
I don't understand why you didn't just change the itinerary through Alaska. From Alaska's end it's equivalent to a cash fare, it doesn't matter that you booked via the UR portal.
I tried numerous times to do it via AS. They could not make changes to the ticket because it was a bulk fare. When UR switched over to Expedia the ticketing changed. Before Expedia you could call AS and make the changes. It was the way to move points to cash to make a companion fare work. Now with Expedia the ticketing has changed so we don't have that option.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by williwaw
I tried numerous times to do it via AS. They could not make changes to the ticket because it was a bulk fare. When UR switched over to Expedia the ticketing changed. Before Expedia you could call AS and make the changes. It was the way to move points to cash to make a companion fare work. Now with Expedia the ticketing has changed so we don't have that option.
I see, I didn't realize that was an issue with the new Expedia backend. No luck on just canceling the ticket to My Wallet funds and rebooking using the funds?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
I see, I didn't realize that was an issue with the new Expedia backend. No luck on just canceling the ticket to My Wallet funds and rebooking using the funds?
With the bulk fares AS can't even cancel or make changes. They kick you back to the travel agency.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:01 pm

Did you book via your Sapphire Reserve card or regular Sapphire? Reason I ask is that the Reserve portal didn't switch over to Expedia until end-Oct (Sapphire switched at the beginning of the month), so if via the Reserve portal this would have been an air ticket booked via Connexions, the previous partner, who was notorious for breaking bulk fares into individual tickets and selling them to customers via portals like Chase. Expedia doesn't do that.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zs58
Did you book via your Sapphire Reserve card or regular Sapphire? Reason I ask is that the Reserve portal didn't switch over to Expedia until end-Oct (Sapphire switched at the beginning of the month), so if via the Reserve portal this would have been an air ticket booked via Connexions, the previous partner, who was notorious for breaking bulk fares into individual tickets and selling them to customers via portals like Chase. Expedia doesn't do that.
It was a Reserve card, and it looks based on the conf code from UR its under the Expedia system, I might have just missed the cut off. I expected that UR would have little value for AS trips after the change, this just confirms it. (And that's before considering the opportunity cost on UR redemption math....)
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
It was a Reserve card, and it looks based on the conf code from UR its under the Expedia system, I might have just missed the cut off. I expected that UR would have little value for AS trips after the change, this just confirms it. (And that's before considering the opportunity cost on UR redemption math....)
A little off topic, but for someone who was interested in the Reserve card, I was ignorant of this and it definitely makes me reconsider. I didn't realize how valuable the flexibility of award spending with the Venture card actually is...
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
A little off topic, but for someone who was interested in the Reserve card, I was ignorant of this and it definitely makes me reconsider. I didn't realize how valuable the flexibility of award spending with the Venture card actually is...
The earn rate is great for me on CSR and transfers to other programs are more the sweet spot. But yes, the UR travel agency option is less attractive now.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that the main advantage of the 1.5c redemption is convenience (book any flight or hotel you want) but there is definitely better value to be found.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

My usual scenario where I use UR is a sort of cheater's FC upgrade. Will pay cash for the base coach fare but pay the difference to P using UR points since you can mix and match points and cash. Get the 175% EQM and sometimes its only 15k points.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Last October I booked a roundtrip PDX-JFK flight using Chase UR points. I ended up needing to return sooner so I purchased a cash return flight and cancelled the UR travel ticket. I decided to try and book a new ticket today using that remaining UR value. I was hoping the MVPG status would make this easier but UR is unable to verify status and say they need to charge the change fee and suggest I follow up with AS for a refund. I was going to try, but the trip I wanted to use the remaining ticket value on is a month after I booked the original JFK-PDX ticket and UR will only use the value within 12 months of the original purchase date.

Just a FYI on the experience using UR and AS.

--Update--

Quick chat with AS reservations and they confirm the change fee waiver won't apply on the bulk fare via UR. Lesson learned.
Yep..Now that Chas echanged to Expedia for UR bookings, you need to make sure you are 100% committed to the flight and time. AS can't make any changes to thsoe tickets now, nor can they be cancelled back into your wallet. It definitely made UR way less value to me after that change.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My usual scenario where I use UR is a sort of cheater's FC upgrade. Will pay cash for the base coach fare but pay the difference to P using UR points since you can mix and match points and cash. Get the 175% EQM and sometimes its only 15k points.
But that's still just 1.5c per point (as compared to using cash for the P fare), right?

I'm not sure I see what the advantage to mixing and matching is.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
But that's still just 1.5c per point (as compared to using cash for the P fare), right?

I'm not sure I see what the advantage to mixing and matching is.
Its true - purely psychological - paying out of points sometimes feels less like an expense...
PlowJockey likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think that the main advantage of the 1.5c redemption is convenience (book any flight or hotel you want) but there is definitely better value to be found.
I’m sure you personally, and many other FT posters, can get more than 1.5c per point via transfers, but for the average person it’s almost impossible to consistently do that. Airfares are too low these days. Maybe a typical person could get it by booking holiday tickets in Y 330 days in advance...I don’t what award availability looks like at that point.

Also consider that even TPG, whose business model literally depends on convincing consumers that credit card points are extremely valuable, still only values flexible rewards points at 1.7 to 2.0 cents per point.
williwaw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.