Service Troubles Ahead?

Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ucdtim17

WN is a good airline and there are some benefits to having their level of service at OAK but the alternative of two airlines competing for the market is certainly more attractive.
More attractive to whom? Certainly not any airlines. Any airline would prefer to dominate an airport and have a smattering of minor competitors. OAK used to be dominated by UA before WN came in. UA even had flights from SFO to OAK. Shuttle by United was not profitable and UA folded and handed over the place to WN. It used to be the "low cost" alternative airport in the Bay Area. B6 started flights to the Bay Area through OAK as have others. Then airlines figured out that SFO was the place to be to stay competitive. Barring the collapse of WN, AS is just not going to have anything other than a token presence at OAK. It is just not all that important. People that are brand loyal will make the trek to another Bay Area airport. Those that aren't are probably not profitable for them anyway, so no great loss. Each airline has limited resources. No sense in throwing money down the drain by trying to outdo the dominant carrier at an airport when you have a substantial operation at two other airports which are not that far away.
jinglish likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
More attractive to whom? Certainly not any airlines. Any airline would prefer to dominate an airport and have a smattering of minor competitors.
More attractive to consumers.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

"People that are brand loyal will make the trek to another Bay Area airport."

So you're saying there is no point in an airline keeping flights at OAK because brand loyal East Bay customers will fly them anyway and are willing to deal with the traffic at the Bay Bridge toll plaza, I-80 through downtown San Francisco and then 101 South to SFO. Or drive down the 880 corridor to San Jose. Uh, I don't think many people living in the East Bay would agree with that. Personally, with dependable service I think AS could add flights profitably in Oakland since they have already invested in the base infrastructure to support their multiple daily Oakland to Hawaii flights (plus Seattle and - if they're in the mood that day - Portland). If WN flying to Hawaii from Oakland changes AS's perception I would prefer to see them leave OAK completely vs. offering hit or miss dependability. I wouldn't make the drive to SFO or SJC from the East Bay even though I've been Gold 75K or Gold for many years in a row. But perhaps AS's departure would create a window for another airline to expand in OAK - one that has the confidence to compete by offering a superior, dependable product (are you listening Delta?).
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bofc
But perhaps AS's departure would create a window for another airline to expand in OAK - one that has the confidence to compete by offering a superior, dependable product (are you listening Delta?).
I don't think AS is departing anytime soon (they are actually, believe it or not, #3 at OAK behind WN and NK, and if they're willing to have operations at DFW/DAL, EWR/JFK, LAX/BUR/ONT/SNA I don't think they are spooked at having to serve SFO/SJC/OAK). But I doubt DL's higher cost structure is going to work better in the larger Bay Area market than AS's if they decided for whatever reason OAK was their next city in their quest to take over the world, given that realistically it's a multi-way competition between UA, WN, AS and everyone else. OAK is more of a "fortress hub" for WN than EWR is for UA (slightly higher market share for WN).

Oh, and there's this airport DL is fighting for about 650 miles north you might have heard of that DOESN'T have WN and UA... I strongly suspect they are still heavily trying to make SEA work.

Funny, though, innit, that DL doesn't serve SEA-OAK? With all the rah-rah OAK fans in this forum telling us about AS neglects you unfairly, you'd think they would be making a mint running that route. But instead they serve SJC/SFO/SMF from SEA but not OAK. RDM but not OAK. JNU but not OAK. SNA but not OAK. BZN but not OAK.

Huh, go figure.
jinglish likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:36 am

They definitely aren't going to leave OAK entirely - if nothing else they need the employees there to accommodate the regularly diverted SFO flights. I doubt they have the capacity at SJC to absorb it all.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:42 am

FWIW United says they are "absolutely planning" to return to OAK https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...y-13729013.php

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.