Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Service Troubles Ahead?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
They seem pretty happy with SJC and SFO. I don’t think they will ever be #1 at SFO when UA has so much international service.

Personally I think the best case scenario would be AS expands to the point that they treat OAK like WN treats SFO (plugging in some connectivity to “hubs” to capture market share on the other side, so you would see SAN/LAX service, maybe frequency upgrades on SEA/PDX) but that is a ways away. I think they would do some things from PDX/SJC/SAN first. I don’t see them doing an assault or expansion of P2P from OAK any more than WN deciding to launch SFO-SEA/PDX/SLC anytime soon. AS has picked their horses (SFO and SJC) just like WN has (SJC and OAK). Unfortunately for you it’s not the one you would like.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by IStream
I don't disagree but I also don't think AS has done what it takes to make money at OAK. As a savvy business adviser once told me, if you ignore your potential customers, they'll be sure to ignore you. I think AS could claw back share from WN at OAK but I don't think they have the stomach for it. This is especially true after the one-two punch of the financial burden of the VS acquisition and the fact that it got them a big presence at SFO which, ironically, they don't seem to be fully capitalizing on. IMHO, AS is in the slow motion process of screwing up their Bay Area business.
OAK has seen carriers come and go for a very long time now. In AS's case, they may well make more money by not serving it at all and move those assets to other airports that are more profitable. So it may be best to just accept that limited service is better than none at all. The only carrier that is steady at OAK is WN. Even a carrier like Norwegian has moved to SFO which they feel--despite the higher costs and potential delays--would be more profitable. Don't forget, AS does like to divert planes over to OAK every once in a while which is an added bonus for those in the East Bay. Unfortunately, you can never guess in advance which flights those will be
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:46 am

With WN's entrance into Hawaii, we may see some action forced upon AS soon at OAK. Given how they've treated OAK in recent years, perhaps the most likely outcome is abandoning OAK-Hawaii and retrenching to just the bare bones PDX/SEA service but it's possible they could finally be ready to actually try to do something positive. It just seems unlikely that they'd undertake a sustained multi-year multi-front war on WN in California but forever give WN free reign at the #4/5 largest airport in the state, in the center of the #2 metro area, where they're spending a lot of money on marketing. That's been the case to date though.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
What about OP moving some spend to WN?

Does AS really keep spare planes at PDX for anything? I thought 90 percent of the time airlines rob Peter to pay Paul when a new airplane is trotted out to replace a plane with mechanical issues.

WN has around 7 flights a day on the PDX to OAK route (and WN is great about providing drink service on short routes - even when it is a little bumpy - whereas AS sometimes stiffs its customers - conveniently claiming lack of time or its "too bumpy" to provide beverage service). While I prefer AS over WN for long-haul flights and AS generally offers great service, if the OP's main set of travels is PDX to OAK, the OP should consider moving some spend to WN.... free drink coupons too after several roundtrip flights

I used to fly LBB to DFW on AA all the time, but AA and its regional carriers love to send broken-down and super late planes to LBB constantly. Despite the relative frequency at LBB, AA is TOTALLY unreliable. I even dread AS codeshare flights, because if the AA flight is late and I miss my AS connection, AA puts me on AA metal in a middle seat in the back. Their Aadvantage program downgrade and their unreliability caused me to leave them. We should not reward airlines for poor service.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
Their Aadvantage program downgrade and their unreliability caused me to leave them. We should not reward airlines for poor service.
I should confess that even though I left AA, for whatever their reasons on their own initiative, AA recently gave me free Platinum Pro status challenge for 6 months. But, I've only flown them a couple of times and I won't meet the necessary minimum flights/spend by May 15 for their crummy status (they are almost always priced higher than AS or WN with less service/benefits, even with my Platinum Pro status).
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
Does AS really keep spare planes at PDX for anything? I thought 90 percent of the time airlines rob Peter to pay Paul when a new airplane is trotted out to replace a plane with mechanical issues.

WN has around 7 flights a day on the PDX to OAK route (and WN is great about providing drink service on short routes - even when it is a little bumpy - whereas AS sometimes stiffs its customers - conveniently claiming lack of time or its "too bumpy" to provide beverage service). While I prefer AS over WN for long-haul flights and AS generally offers great service, if the OP's main set of travels is PDX to OAK, the OP should consider moving some spend to WN.... free drink coupons too after several roundtrip flights .
AS keeps spare planes at SEA, ANC, and maybe LAX, usually not PDX. QX however, does keep spares at PDX and it looks like QX is the operating the flights with the issues. It would not be unusual for them to switch from a 76 seat E175 to a 76 seat Q400 if needed. And yes, when in the Q sometimes they don't do drink service because of predicted turbulence. I was also on a DL flight this weekend on an E75 and they did the same thing so it isnt just QX. As i rule I get pretty superior service on Q400 routes.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
It just seems unlikely that they'd undertake a sustained multi-year multi-front war on WN in California but forever give WN free reign at the #4/5 largest airport in the state, in the center of the #2 metro area, where they're spending a lot of money on marketing. That's been the case to date though.
They're already committing to that multi-front war SJC and SAN, and with the intra-CA routes, to some extent at BUR, LAX and SFO because WN share in those markets to some extent derives from being able to connect people intra-CA (though AS is probably not into doing suicide runs on markets like OAK/SFO/SJC/SAN/LAX-DEN/PHX where being one of too many carriers is just asking for a license to douse bills in Jet-A and set them on fire).

TBH it's a lot more coherent strategy for being "California's Airline" than VX had- claw what market share you can get in CA in a lot of markets (I never understood why VX ignored SAN and treated SJC as an afterthought while they were screwing around with DAL or YYZ). Yeah it sucks that you're not getting lie-flats in F, but WN's market share in California indicates to me lie-flats aren't the end-all, be-all for market share.

So in that sense you can squint and say 'yeah, I could see OAK-LAX/SAN maybe once they have enough E75s". But that would be adding options on the LAX/SAN side. OAK is #10 for WN at SAN and it's a market WN owns by its lonesome. LAX is the #1 market for OAK (though there is competition). But running some E75s SAN/SJC-OAK-PDX/SEA... you get my drift?

(FWIW I wonder if AS would like to try and knock DL off of SJC-LAS someday with an E75 or two, which is an oddball route for DL.)

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 1, 2019 at 12:59 pm
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
(FWIW I wonder if AS would like to try and knock DL off of SJC-LAS someday with an E75 or two, which is an oddball route for DL.)
I would love to see AS knock DL off of SAN-LAS.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
I would love to see AS knock DL off of SAN-LAS.
Huh, that one too, I guess. They'll have to build up the E75 fleet some though.
wolfpacktrojan likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:34 pm

So in that sense you can squint and say 'yeah, I could see OAK-LAX/SAN maybe once they have enough E75s". But that would be adding options on the LAX/SAN side. OAK is #10 for WN at SAN and it's a market WN owns by its lonesome. LAX is the #1 market for OAK (though there is competition). But running some E75s SAN/SJC-OAK-PDX/SEA... you get my drift?
That's another reason it's strange to continue to avoid OAK - it's one thing to forgo OAK-based business but it's a relatively big destination for places where AS ostensibly does actually want to fight for traffic - SAN, LAX, PDX, SEA; perhaps also BUR, SNA. They have to write off a large portion of their marketing in the Bay Area plus a similar share of their efforts in the other markets to grow their business to still come to the conclusion that the market can be ignored. They keep reaching the same conclusion though.

SEA/PDX are big hubs for AS but WN dominates to SEA/PDX-OAK; you could imagine an alternate universe where AS competes and dominates those routes despite OAK being a WN focus city but that's not the world we live in.

So yeah, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Last edited by ucdtim17; Apr 1, 2019 at 2:43 pm
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

SEA/PDX are big hubs for AS but WN dominates to SEA/PDX-OAK; you could imagine an alternate universe where AS competes and dominates those routes despite OAK being a WN focus city but that's not the world we live in.

So yeah, I'm not going to hold my breath.
WN has 73% of the Oakland market, AS has 6%. There is zero way AS is going to attempt to come in and dominate anything.
jinglish likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus

WN has 73% of the Oakland market, AS has 6%. There is zero way AS is going to attempt to come in and dominate anything.
There are two airports on any given route. AS has 42% share at SEA, WN has 7, but WN still dominates the route. PDX 27/18. WN is more dominant at OAK, so maybe that’s the difference.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are two airports on any given route. AS has 42% share at SEA, WN has 7, but WN still dominates the route. PDX 27/18. WN is more dominant at OAK, so maybe that’s the difference.
It’s 100% the difference as to why they picked SJC and SAN and not OAK. And frankly they won’t have the critical mass of E75s for things like SAN/LAX-OAK for a while. But that is about all you could hope for, plus maybe some SEA/PDX frequencies.

That being said, tell me, would you expect DL to launch a lot of P2P routes out of EWR? UA to start flying out of OAK or MDW? AA to fly out of DAL or MDW? Somehow much bigger airlines duck WN too...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 1, 2019 at 8:19 pm
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:11 pm

It’s 100% the difference as to why they picked SJC and SAN and not OAK. And frankly they won’t have the critical mass of E75s for things like SAN/LAX-OAK for a while. But that is about all you could hope for, plus maybe some SEA/PDX frequencies.
Which again makes me wonder about an alternate universe, where WN builds up SJC larger than OAK in the 2000s. Is SJC the WN fortress hub there while WN and AS fight over OAK instead?

WN is a good airline and there are some benefits to having their level of service at OAK but the alternative of two airlines competing for the market is certainly more attractive.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I am sure it isn't related to this (as it is Alaska and not Horizon), but this is the thread I thought of when my flight from Hawaii to Seattle later this week was randomly canceled yesterday. More than anything, I am annoyed that I had to find out by checking my app and that I did not receive an email or phone call (still waiting to see if they do something). Unfortunately, I lost my exit row and now arrive at an awkward time, but I am glad they had some space on the evening flight - looks to be completely full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.