Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Flight missing from options if MVP box is checked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite

I was looking at FAT-SAN for this Sunday (Apr 14). If I have the MVP upgrade box checked (I’m using the app), the 720p flight doesn’t show up. Is there a reason for this, or is it a blip?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by twitch76
I was looking at FAT-SAN for this Sunday (Apr 14). If I have the MVP upgrade box checked (I’m using the app), the 720p flight doesn’t show up. Is there a reason for this, or is it a blip?
Seems to be a glitch. Looking online, they are not offering the option to purchase a main cabin ticket, even though preferred seating and premium are available.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:15 pm

Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: AS
Noticed that also. Only F being offered on that flight. Seat map shows a good amount of seats in Y and preferred. Both under No Preference and MVP selections, only F showing available.
Wonder if it is worth a call?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:31 pm

Not sure why you folks think the seat map means it isn't sold out. The open seats are all ones you need to have status or pay extra to choose, plus people buy saver fares that don't come with seat assignments. Main cabin is clearly sold out. It seems possible they will upgrade someone to first and something in the back would open up, but there's no guarantee.
Unionruler, jinglish and steve64 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by sergent
Not sure why you folks think the seat map means it isn't sold out. The open seats are all ones you need to have status or pay extra to choose, plus people buy saver fares that don't come with seat assignments. Main cabin is clearly sold out. It seems possible they will upgrade someone to first and something in the back would open up, but there's no guarantee.
I was logged in as an MVP, so I should have access to the preferred seats. If they are sold, who will be sitting there? Saver pax?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AS 3466 for Sun, Apr 14 is currently Y2. H is the cheapest bucket with 2 available; Q, L, V all have 1.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:37 pm

Classic Alaska IT... It's back.

Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's entirely possible that two people cancelled or changed their flights.

It's also possible that AS zeroed out the space for some reason, and then put it back. I've definitely seen that before (though, usually, same-day)
jinglish and jjmadison like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I was logged in as an MVP, so I should have access to the preferred seats. If they are sold, who will be sitting there? Saver pax?
Someone who bought a ticket will be sitting there. Premium seats are part of the economy cabin; there is not separate inventory for them. If the cabin sells out and there are not enough elite passengers or people willing to pay, then someone else will get assigned a premium seat for free. However, they will not be able to select a premium seat, so that seat will be available on the seat map until it's assigned. This is why there might be no inventory even though there are 10 available seats on the seat map.
jinglish and steve64 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:54 pm

The flight was showing U2 a few hours ago. Most likely they upgraded two people to first.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
3466 is overbooked in Y.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
3466 is overbooked in Y.
How can you tell that?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
How can you tell that?
They're only willing (at the time of the last screen shot) to sell 2 more seats in Coach, and only at the highest fare classes. Most flights are authorized to sell more than just 2 seats beyond capacity. So seeing auth down to 2 and lower fares "sold out" is a good indication that the cabin is oversold.
Also coming into play is the fact that First still has available seats. While they would obviously rather have all remaining sales as First Class fares, it would also be silly to turn away a high Coach fare when there is still "oversale protection" available in First. Where do you draw the line ?? The truth is that the line can be redrawn at anytime, authorized booking levels at each fare class is highly dynamic. My guess is that they consider the flight full in Coach, but watching interest in the flight along with availability in First ... and releasing authorization to Coach one or two seats at a time. Seeing coach seats reappear for the flight is not a result of poor AS IT, it is IT constantly rethinking the strategy in an effort to maximize the revenue on the flight.

Seat maps are NEVER a good indication of booking levels. Use them to get a feel, but the only definitive thing they show are seats available for assignment, not booking. Two different things.
jinglish, thegingninj and twitch76 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
How can you tell that?
Friends who work at AS with access to loads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.