FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Baggage Meltdown at SEA Today Leads to Many Missing Bags (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1962367-baggage-meltdown-sea-today-leads-many-missing-bags.html)

CMK10 Mar 24, 2019 3:02 pm

Baggage Meltdown at SEA Today Leads to Many Missing Bags

There was a complete baggage meltdown at SEA this morning. People were told by the agents at the bag drop counters to leave their bags in literal piles in front of the counters and were sent on their way. Baggage accumulated and was apparently not sent onward. I actually handed mine to an agent who put it on the conveyor at 6:55 AM for the 8 AM SEA-RDU and my bag was left behind. There were at least 20 people on my flight waiting behind me at RDU baggage services.

Because there’s only one flight a day to RDU I’m short my suit coat, dress shoes and shaving kit and I have to go out of town for work tomorrow before the bag will be back. The agent also claims they won’t reimburse for items if it’s under 24 hours.

All this because I wanted to support a local distillery in Washington and I bought a bottle of gin

Toshbaf Mar 24, 2019 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 30924783)
There was a complete baggage meltdown at SEA this morning. People were told by the agents at the bag drop counters to leave their bags in literal piles in front of the counters and were sent on their way. Baggage accumulated and was apparently not sent onward. I actually handed mine to an agent who put it on the conveyor at 6:55 AM for the 8 AM SEA-RDU and my bag was left behind. There were at least 20 people on my flight waiting behind me at RDU baggage services.

Because there’s only one flight a day to RDU I’m short my suit coat, dress shoes and shaving kit and I have to go out of town for work tomorrow before the bag will be back. The agent also claims they won’t reimburse for items if it’s under 24 hours.

All this because I wanted to support a local distillery in Washington and I bought a bottle of gin

Live and learn.

A better strategy might have been to check in the gin but not some of the important clothes. You might then receive a $75 certificate and the bag delivered the next day.

CMK10 Mar 24, 2019 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 30924873)
Live and learn.

A better strategy might have been to check in the gin but not some of the important clothes. You might then receive a $75 certificate and the bag delivered the next day.

Ah the old Flyertalk standby of blame the victim. I took a two day weekend trip with a weekend bag and a laptop bag. Should I always bring extra baggage in case the airline loses my bag?

Toshbaf Mar 24, 2019 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 30924914)

Ah the old Flyertalk standby of blame the victim. I took a two day weekend trip with a weekend bag and a laptop bag. Should I always bring extra baggage in case the airline loses my bag?

False accusation! Read the post again. It suggests an alternate strategy, not blame.

Look at CMK10 who took a mere two day weekend trip and had to check in the weekend bag. Of course, he may have been carrying snow shoes, chain saw, yogurt maker, and vacuum erection device and, of course, the gin with him so the bag was big.

BenA Mar 24, 2019 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 30924783)

Look at the plus side - you can at least claim the 2500 mile bags on time guarantee!

(Sorry this happened. Having taken a tour of the SEA baggage system, it's fairly archaic, but also fairly manual. I'm surprised that they weren't just manually bringing carts of bags behind the scenes and bypassing whatever conveyor was broken... I wonder what the fault was, and whether it impacted other airlines, too?)

beckoa Mar 25, 2019 3:16 am

Hope the gin makes it :o