Honolulu Sakura/Admirals Lounge

Old Mar 23, 19, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, DL PM, New Sagaya
Honolulu Sakura/Admirals Lounge

One of my favorite Alaska Lounge benefits is access to the JAL Sakura Lounge in Honolulu. Remodels have been underway and itís much cleaner and bright. They are now working on finishing the last part of the lounge. Still crowded as the food area has moved to a congested area. But I canít say no to beef curry and chicken karaage as lunch before flying back to the Mainland.

Old Mar 23, 19, 5:21 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, DL Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by williwaw View Post
One of my favorite Alaska Lounge benefits is access to the JAL Sakura Lounge in Honolulu. Remodels have been underway and itís much cleaner and bright. They are now working on finishing the last part of the lounge. Still crowded as the food area has moved to a congested area. But I canít say no to beef curry and chicken karaage as lunch before flying back to the Mainland.

Good to hear they have done a remodel. I was there in December and it was pretty disgusting. The lounge closed an hour sooner than what was shown on line. What few morsels of food that were left were inedible. They were shutting off the lights as we sat down for a drink.

James at PHX.
Old Mar 23, 19, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Good to hear they have done a remodel. I was there in December and it was pretty disgusting. The lounge closed an hour sooner than what was shown on line. What few morsels of food that were left were inedible. They were shutting off the lights as we sat down for a drink.

James at PHX.
Really? The HNL AA / JAL Sakura lounge is my favorite US domestic non-Flagship Admirals club. Even before the remodel the combination of hospitality and food was/is a delight.
Sorry for your experience. But the lounge remains a favorite.
Old Mar 23, 19, 11:46 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I visited in early February and the remodel was about half-done. Moving the food station to a more compact, private area of the lounge will allow the work and restful areas to be quieter and less disruptive. I like the lighter palette, but I worry about the long-term whiteness of those chairs.

I was told that the remodel was scheduled for completion in early April. No plans for a shower.

I have never seen the lounge as full as the image posted. With the addition of the Sakura Lounge Hale, I would think crowding would be less of a issue.
Old Mar 23, 19, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone View Post
I have never seen the lounge as full as the image posted. With the addition of the Sakura Lounge Hale, I would think crowding would be less of a issue.
There are two JAL departures between 1:00 and 2:00 when I was there. That seemed to pack the place. A handful of us on the AS HNL-PDX flight that was delayed also hanging out.
Old Mar 24, 19, 5:02 am

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold
Will lounge passes work to get into the lounge?
Old Mar 24, 19, 10:56 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Oh my gosh that's busy!
Old Mar 24, 19, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by bosca418 View Post
Will lounge passes work to get into the lounge?
AS ones won't.

AA ones should.

Thanks for the report- yet to be in that one. Have visited CO, NW, and DL lounges (when they were partners)- but avoid HNL overall these days. Like the direct routes to other islands.
spamman808 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 19, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

It was busy, but I didn't have any problems getting a quiet corner to sit in and a chance to eat lunch. With my work travel through HNL this has become a nice option before flying back to the mainland. One other word of warning to new visitors - the signage to find it is not very clear. The other lounges are more prominently signed. Just head to the base of the triangle that accesses the E gates and look for stairs that go up. There are two set of stairs at the end of each walkway coming from the E gates. There is a Starbucks at one entry point.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Mar 24, 19, 4:13 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by williwaw View Post
One other word of warning to new visitors - the signage to find it is not very clear. The other lounges are more prominently signed. Just head to the base of the triangle that accesses the E gates and look for stairs that go up. There are two set of stairs at the end of each walkway coming from the E gates. There is a Starbucks at one entry point.
The elevator is in the hallway near The Local @HNL restaurant.
williwaw likes this.
Old Mar 24, 19, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS G75K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
This is my favorite AA Admirals Club lounge as well. I am glad to see the remodel (I was there in January and saw part of the lounge blocked off for construction), because it looked dated. The late morning time frame (11 am to 1 pm) is always busy there because of the JAL departures, I had been to days that were even more packed than the OP's photo shown. The food selection there was good, but not as diverse as the DL Sky Club at HNL. But the Admiral's Club has a nicer setting than the Sky Club because the Sky Club is windowless. Also the AA lounge booze bar is self serve, but the Sky Club booze is served by their attendants.

i will be back to HNL again in May, and look forward to visiting the "refreshed" Admiral Club/Sakura Lounge.
Old Mar 25, 19, 3:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by BW Flyer View Post
This is my favorite AA Admirals Club lounge as well. I am glad to see the remodel (I was there in January and saw part of the lounge blocked off for construction), because it looked dated. The late morning time frame (11 am to 1 pm) is always busy there because of the JAL departures, I had been to days that were even more packed than the OP's photo shown. The food selection there was good, but not as diverse as the DL Sky Club at HNL. But the Admiral's Club has a nicer setting than the Sky Club because the Sky Club is windowless. Also the AA lounge booze bar is self serve, but the Sky Club booze is served by their attendants.

i will be back to HNL again in May, and look forward to visiting the "refreshed" Admiral Club/Sakura Lounge.
Sad to hear DL switched to attendant served. Fond memories of self-powered Guava and Rum... or was that Rum and Guava?

Sounds like AA did an Admiral job
Old Mar 25, 19, 4:34 pm

Programs: Many, but currently grounded.
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Sad to hear DL switched to attendant served. Fond memories of self-powered Guava and Rum... or was that Rum and Guava?

For what it is worth I remember the old SC (lower level) had strange alcohol rules, e.g. I could not get a drink for my wife. The new HNL SC makes one of the best Mai Thais in Hawaii fwiw.

I'll +1 votes for this being one of the best domestic ACs, but miss the showers and bathrooms back when the AC was co-located with Qantas.
Old Mar 25, 19, 5:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
We must have been in there at the same time. Food was great today! The large groups and people and screaming kids, not so much.
Old Mar 25, 19, 7:14 pm

Programs: AS G75K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post

Well when I was in the HNL Sky Club two weeks ago I poured myself a glass of guava juice, and asked the attendant splashed a shot of rum in it!!��

Search this Thread
Search Engine: