Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"I" Class Fares Live? (Yes)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by williwaw
My experience has been that the tickets on a single reservation go into the lowest bucket that fits them all, so it does not mix and match. It would jump over the I in this case if you had too many travelers. Happens with award tickets too, will jump to the higher redemption rate unless you break up the travelers.

I played with some fares way out and even though there was I space it wanted to sell me P tickets. But maybe there are implementation things still being sorted out.
This is the way it works on all airlines. In order to be on same PNR, all tickets must be the same fare. So if there is only one seat left in a bucket (doesn't matter which type of fare), and you are trying to book seats for two pax on the same PNR, it will force both pax in the next higher fare class where there are at least 2 seats.

With dual inventory check, there must be both I space open and something in Q/L/V/K buckets in order for one of the I fares to be bookable. Did you check those coach buckets as well? If there is nothing in those buckets, it will book in the cheapest S/B/M/H fare basis FC fares for which there is bucket availability and these book into the P booking class.
rustykettel and williwaw like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 3, 2019 at 1:37 pm
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by LBJ
With dual inventory check, there must be both I space open and something in Q/L/V/K buckets in order for one of the I fares to be bookable. Did you check those coach buckets as well?
Thats what I did wrong - thanks! Didn't include those checking those coach ones.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
According to Experflyer. AS I class is dicounted Business Class. It also shows C & J as business class. Is AS moving more to a Oneworld semantic? AA calls their domest front of plane recliners First Class and their same planes flying international as Business.

James @ DOH enroute to KGL
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
This is the way it works on all airlines. In order to be on same PNR, all tickets must be the same fare. So if there is only one seat left in a bucket (doesn't matter which type of fare), and you are trying to book seats for two pax on the same PNR, it will force both pax in the next higher fare class where there are at least 2 seats.

With dual inventory check, there must be both I space open and something in Q/L/V/K buckets in order for one of the I fares to be bookable. Did you check those coach buckets as well? If there is nothing in those buckets, it will book in the cheapest S/B/M/H fare basis FC fares for which there is bucket availability and these book into the P booking class.
Couldn't you just make the bookings separately, so you get one ticket at the lower price ?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by LBJ

Originally Posted by Aidan
Couldn't you just make the bookings separately, so you get one ticket at the lower price ?
It's worth noting that AS does seem to cache the I inventory for an unknown (brief?) period of time:

I needed 2 I seats on a connecting itinerary via SEA that has a 737 option with a 2.5 hour layover, or a 320 option with a 1 hour layover.

The 737 has been I4 for weeks and the 320 option has been I1 for the same amount of time.

Taking advice I believe I read on another thread, I booked the 320 as 1 pax and on another computer had the same availability pulled up. I finished record #1 , switched computers, and was able to snag the 2nd seat I needed within 3-5 minutes.

After finishing the 2nd booking, I pulled up availability again and it had almost doubled in price from the I fare to the P fare, which was the only one available now.

Just a data point.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know enough about how the internals work, but is this AS caching availability or Sabre?

I'm shocked that this works. I'd think that Sabre would have something built in to prevent overselling of inventory (this has to be a fairly common race condition, with different airlines being able to write tickets on their own stock and many people booking through travel agents as well as airlines)

Clearly I'm confused about how all these systems work together.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
While I know this is the Alaska Mileage Plan forum, does anyone know the implication of the new I fare codes when crediting Alaska flights to partner programs? I’ve got an upcoming SJD-LAX on Alaska and the flight details state: “First (I)”. There is no mention of I on the Alaska earning charts for Avios or AsiaMiles, so I gather I cannot credit to partner programs, which is not very helpful to me.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by OneWorldSapphire
While I know this is the Alaska Mileage Plan forum, does anyone know the implication of the new I fare codes when crediting Alaska flights to partner programs? I’ve got an upcoming SJD-LAX on Alaska and the flight details state: “First (I)”. There is no mention of I on the Alaska earning charts for Avios or AsiaMiles, so I gather I cannot credit to partner programs, which is not very helpful to me.
You would have to check with the other carriers to see if they will credit. Some airlines lag in updating their charts, Alaska included. Additionally, you may want to check in the appropriate Formus for the other carrier's Frequent Flyer Program.

James
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:35 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You would have to check with the other carriers to see if they will credit. Some airlines lag in updating their charts, Alaska included. Additionally, you may want to check in the appropriate Formus for the other carrier's Frequent Flyer Program.

James
same here.

BA’s earning chart does not show I Class and I just booked a flight in I but put in my BA number in the AS Rez.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by 355F1
same here.

BA’s earning chart does not show I Class and I just booked a flight in I but put in my BA number in the AS Rez.
I did the same on my LAX-SJD and I earned 0 Avios. I pushed it with BA and sent in my receipt showing it was a paid First fare but no luck; they claim they have no knowledge whatsoever of an AS I fare so awarded
me nothing. I complained to Alaska and I got a generic apology reply.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I did the same on my LAX-SJD and I earned 0 Avios. I pushed it with BA and sent in my receipt showing it was a paid First fare but no luck; they claim they have no knowledge whatsoever of an AS I fare so awarded
Not surprising. They were telling you the truth: BA agents won’t know about it until Mileage Plan and BAEC come to an agreement on earnings for the new fare class, and update their documentation. Always a good idea to check the charts before purchase. Sorry you didn’t get credit, though.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:19 am

Interestingly, looking at the earning in BAEC for AS flights, U class is listed with all fare classes below M which earns 25% Avios.

That makes sense because upgrades usually credit on the underlying fare class. However, if you are an AS Elite and purchase an eligible fare for your status and receive a complimentary upgrade you wouldn't want to credit the flight to BAEC. An MVP who bought a full Y fare and was upgraded to U class would only earn 25% Avios even though the underlying full Y fare would have credited 100% making your F seat a penalty box.

James
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:10 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Thank you!

I will try to see if there is somewhere else i can credit.

Maybe SQ?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1
Thank you!

I will try to see if there is somewhere else i can credit.

Maybe SQ?
Based on my experience I would say: believe the published award charts. If you don’t see “I” listed, it’s likely going to credit as “0”. I hope they sort this out soon, or I will be avoiding AS, as I only fly in paid F and credit to BA.
355F1 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:23 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Based on my experience I would say: believe the published award charts. If you don’t see “I” listed, it’s likely going to credit as “0”. I hope they sort this out soon, or I will be avoiding AS, as I only fly in paid F and credit to BA.
I never fly AS but a family member had a $250 voucher that was going to expire and they gave it to me so I bought a one-way F ticket PHX-PDX for Christmas.

I f they don't sort this out I guess I wont get any miles....lol...which doesn't really matter, I guess, as I didn't pay any money for the ticket! lol

I can credit to SQ or BA but it doesn't look like either of their respective charts list the new I Fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.