Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"I" Class Fares Live? (Yes)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Minor data point: P does still exist for those who haven't spotted one lately. I have a P fare (discount First) coming back from SAN to SEA in April that I purchased directly earlier this year. Shows as "Class: P (First)" on the email receipt.
"I" appears to be one bucket below "P" (IAD-LAX it's $539 vs $619) ... as rustykettel pointed out, it apparently still gets the 75% COS bonus; I'll confirm after my May trip
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This sounds like AS is making a serious attempt to monetize their first class cabin. If successful, that bodes well for the quality of the product; not so well for upgrades.
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This sounds like AS is making a serious attempt to monetize their first class cabin. If successful, that bodes well for the quality of the product; not so well for upgrades.
How is that going to bode well for the quality of the product which you routinely refer to as crap? Serious question.

James in Phoenix
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
How is that going to bode well for the quality of the product which you routinely refer to as crap? Serious question.

James in Phoenix
I think that in any business where a product is given away for free, it will constantly be the target for budget cuts. On the other hand, if it makes money, it tends to be safer from such cuts. This is true in any industry, and I've certainly seen it at companies that I've worked for.

So, if they start selling more first class seats, that brings in revenue for the first class product, and a higher budget can be justified.

The incremental revenue from even one more person buying a first class seat instead of an economy seat on a flight is more than enough to pay for PDBs for everyone on that flight. Obviously hard product doesn't change quickly, but the soft product can definitely change quickly. If they would just start following stated policy, that would be a huge improvement.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:09 pm

James in Phoenix
My guess would be that increasing the revenue from their first cabin would translate to continued investment and improvement in the product.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
The incremental revenue from even one more person buying a first class seat instead of an economy seat on a flight is more than enough to pay for PDBs for everyone on that flight.
From the 1Q19 report, AS expects to see ~$550/flight incremental revenue from the Airbus seat mods. Selling one or two F seats would easily match or exceed those gains and spread over the entire fleet.
williwaw likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I think that in any business where a product is given away for free, it will constantly be the target for budget cuts. On the other hand, if it makes money, it tends to be safer from such cuts. This is true in any industry, and I've certainly seen it at companies that I've worked for.

So, if they start selling more first class seats, that brings in revenue for the first class product, and a higher budget can be justified.

The incremental revenue from even one more person buying a first class seat instead of an economy seat on a flight is more than enough to pay for PDBs for everyone on that flight. Obviously hard product doesn't change quickly, but the soft product can definitely change quickly. If they would just start following stated policy, that would be a huge improvement.
So in summary, an Alcoholic pre-departure beverage (which you have made blatantly obvious is of great importance to you) makes a crappy F hard-product (in your words) a good product overall? Hilarious! Would that sway you from a UA lie-flat to/from Hawaii? Likely not! But good try in masking your hypocrisy.

James in Kelowna.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So in summary, an Alcoholic pre-departure beverage (which you have made blatantly obvious is of great importance to you) makes a crappy F hard-product (in your words) a good product overall? Hilarious! Would that sway you from a UA lie-flat to/from Hawaii? Likely not! But good try in masking your hypocrisy.

James in Kelowna.
Well, I'm not saying that they are going to move to a premium hard product for longer routes. As I said, hard product cannot change quickly.

But, yes, improvements to the soft product count as an improvement to the product. Well I use them when a superior hard product is available with a different carrier? No, of course not. But for most domestic routes that isn't an option. An improved F product might get me to pay for it on shorter flights where I will fly AS anyway. I don't think that's hypocrisy.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Here you go, I fare to Hawaii

Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I paid that for a P fare last year.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I paid that for a P fare last year.
There were no new fares introduced with the introduction of the I booking class. They simply split the fares as follows -- Q/L/V/K fare basis FC fares go into I booking class and S/B/M/H fare basis FC fares go into P booking class as I mentioned upthread. The fares all existed before, they simply all booked into P booking class previously. Once again, the fare basis code first letter is not the same as the booking class for these restricted FC fares (and Saver fares as well). They use coach class fare codes as the first letter. The fact that they are actually FC or Saver fares is indicated by the second to last letter in the fare basis code.

So KH2OASFN and MH0OAVFN are two examples of restricted FC fares. But the KH2OASFN fare now books into I booking class instead of P.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 30, 2019 at 9:29 pm
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder what the purpose is here, then? Move to lower earnings for lower level first class fares? Maybe 150% for I?

I was hoping that they would use this to introduce some cheaper first class fares to monetize the first class cabin. Right now I get the idea that most of the cabin is upgrades. I think that they tried to do that by holding out on U space last year but I don't think it was effective. Right now it seems like the first class buy-up is just too high, with the exception of a few routes.

There is no way that that relabeling some of their P fares to I is their only goal here.. there has to be a next step. It does give them more fine-grained inventory control, but all they can accomplish by that is raising the price of first class, which is probably not too useful if it's already not selling well.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
I wonder what the purpose is here, then?
Maybe playing nicely with partners? Especially those of the OW variety that may even have some Y fares for sale on the AS website? Just guessing.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by CDKing

$200 usd more you get lie flats on HA, which also includes a inflight entertainment screen and pre-take off Mai Tai.
Wonder if this is low enough to swing buyers, for me it’s not..
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by CDKing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.