Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Lounge Member Access to AA Admirals Club

Alaska Lounge Member Access to AA Admirals Club

Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
That's weird that the LHR regular Admiral's club claimed the OP did not have authorization to enter. I recently used my Alaska lounge card at the Admiral's club for an outbound AA flight at LHR in January. I had no issues getting in.

I always carry my Alaska lounge card with me. It's just easier when dealing with Admiral's Club lounges rather than trying to show them a phone app. Then, if there are any issues (like in London), you can show them your card and the listings on the Alaska website. If you are still denied, email Alaska and ask for lots and lots of miles as compensation (I did that when I used to had AA platinum status and was denied entry to the Finn Air lounge). I also carry my Alaska MVP card if traveling through Iceland so I can gain access to the very nice Saga lounge (most incredible food selection I've ever seen in a lounge). I can see though why entry would be denied to the AA arrivals lounge at LHR. Nevertheless, it is not clear on the Alaska website. I would email Alaska and ask for miles for denial of entry to the AA arrivals lounge and see what happens. The worst they can do is say no.

Last edited by MJMLBBtoCPH; Mar 20, 2019 at 9:32 am Reason: clarification
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
I would email Alaska and ask for miles for denial of entry to the AA arrivals lounge and see what happens.
Really? Where is access to AA operated lounges not branded as Admirals Clubs mentioned?
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
That's weird that the LHR regular Admiral's club claimed the OP did not have authorization to enter. I recently used my Alaska lounge card at the Admiral's club for an outbound AA flight at LHR in January. I had no issues getting in.

I always carry my Alaska lounge card with me. It's just easier when dealing with Admiral's Club lounges rather than trying to show them a phone app. Then, if there are any issues (like in London), you can show them your card and the listings on the Alaska website. If you are still denied, email Alaska and ask for lots and lots of miles as compensation (I did that when I used to had AA platinum status and was denied entry to the Finn Air lounge). I also carry my Alaska MVP card if traveling through Iceland so I can gain access to the very nice Saga lounge (most incredible food selection I've ever seen in a lounge). I can see though why entry would be denied to the AA arrivals lounge at LHR. Nevertheless, it is not clear on the Alaska website. I would email Alaska and ask for miles for denial of entry to the AA arrivals lounge and see what happens. The worst they can do is say no.
I gave them my physical card. The lady at the departure lounge insisted that I didn't have the "status" to enter. I'm not that concerned about the arrivals lounge denial, as even though it's unclear on the Alaska site, it's pretty clear on the AA site that it's only for the fancy folks.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Freckles68
I'm not that concerned about the arrivals lounge denial, as even though it's unclear on the Alaska site, it's pretty clear on the AA site that it's only for the fancy folks.
But there is nothing unclear on the AS site. Access is granted to Admirals Clubs on arrival or departure. Inability for any arriving passengers to access the Admirals Club does not in any way imply access to the arrivals lounge. Further, "Premium" lounges are specifically excluded--the AA arrivals lounge at LHR is for first/business ("Premium") passengers and select AA elites. I just don't see how one can read any ambiguity into the arrangement...

jinglish and wylek like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
But there is nothing unclear on the AS site. Access is granted to Admirals Clubs on arrival or departure...
However, as already noted in this thread, the LHR Arrivals Lounge is NOT an Admirals Club.
Just like for departing flights at very few selected airports, AA offers Flagship Lounges to it's top guests, LHR offers an Arrivals Lounge. Maybe what's causing confusion is the fact that "arrivals lounge" is not a description, it is the actual name of a different type of lounge offered by AA. Ref: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...false&from=Nav

Just like an Admiral's membership, an Alaska Lounge membership only grants access to Admiral Clubs, the only exception I know of is SFO.
Freckles68 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by steve64
Maybe what's causing confusion is the fact that "arrivals lounge" is not a description, it is the actual name of a different type of lounge offered by AA. Ref: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...false&from=Nav

Just like an Admiral's membership, an Alaska Lounge membership only grants access to Admiral Clubs, the only exception I know of is SFO.
I think you're agreeing with me that there should be no confusion...the arrivals lounge, by whatever proper name and whether a "premium lounge" or not, is NOT an Admirals Club, so there should be no expectation of entry with an AS lounge membership.
steve64 and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
Really? Where is access to AA operated lounges not branded as Admirals Clubs mentioned?
Um. Ok. You are not understanding my post. What I was really responding to primarily was the denial of access to an AS lounge member to the departing Admiral's Club at LHR. That's a clear violation by Alaska of the contractual sales agreement they promote when they sell you a membership. Alaska can't say (oh, it's not our fault, we don't control the Admiral's club). They can't sell a third-party service that's later denied by the third party and claim it's not their fault.

As for the AA arrivals lounge (where you selectively quoted me), I never suggested that somehow one has a contractual right as an AS lounge member to enter the AA arrivals club in in LHR. You know, big corporations love to play these little games with little exceptions that are buried somewhere on some page. Even though the customer misunderstands her benefits and is misinformed, it doesn't hurt to simply ask for airline miles as a customer service request. Most normal people who don't read all the ins and outs of these things on flyer talk are not aware of these technical differences. AS certainly can say no to a request for miles for a customer's misunderstanding of the scope of benefits to an AS lounge membership. That's all I was implying in my post. So, you don't need to "correct" me, but I am sorry if my previous post was not sufficiently clear about what I was recommending with regard to the arrivals lounge denial. The worst AS can do is say "no, see the AS lounge agreement and see the AA arrivals lounge classification."

Last edited by MJMLBBtoCPH; Mar 22, 2019 at 11:54 am Reason: clarification
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:05 am

AS certainly can say no to a request for miles for a customer's misunderstanding of the scope of benefits to an AS lounge membership. That's all I was implying in my post. So, you don't need to "correct" me, but I am sorry if my previous post was not sufficiently clear about what I was recommending with regard to the arrivals lounge denial. The worst AS can do is say "no, see the AS lounge agreement and see the AA arrivals lounge classification."
Your post was clear. I think we just disagree. Refused entry into a premium class arrivals lounge is not customer service issue warranting compensation, and IMHO, the fact that AS is free to say no does not make the request an appropriate one.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Mar 23, 2019 at 6:27 am
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:02 pm

Refused entry into a premium class arrivals lounge is not customer service issue warranting compensation, and IMHO, the fact that AS is free to say no does not make the request an appropriate one.
What's inappropriate is an American Airlines employee at the admiral's club departure lounge at LHR telling the OP that they cannot enter with an AS Lounge membership and pretending that they are being super nice by letting the OP in. That's inappropriate and something AS should raise with AA since London is listed on AS's website as a place where members can attend admiral's clubs.

At any rate, I've been in the AA "premium" arrivals lounge in LHR last December 25th, 2018, and if it's any consolation to the OP, the small windowless facility with a few croissants and an employee who had no idea whether the Heathrow Express was running between terminals was not really worth the small trek. I'd never bother going back even if I had the opportunity. The BA arrival's lounge, which I went to a few years ago, is much better. Luckily the Express was running on Christmas day between terminals (even though the rest of the line and the rest of London public transit was shut down), and we were able to get to the Heathrow Hilton, which really has a nicer lounge than the AA "premium" arrivals lounge.
Freckles68 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:19 pm

What's inappropriate is an American Airlines employee at the admiral's club departure lounge at LHR telling the OP that they cannot enter with an AS Lounge membership and pretending that they are being super nice by letting the OP in. That's inappropriate and something AS should raise with AA since London is listed on AS's website as a place where members can attend admiral's clubs.
Agree, 100%.

At any rate, I've been in the AA "premium" arrivals lounge in LHR last December 25th, 2018, and if it's any consolation to the OP, the small windowless facility with a few croissants and an employee who had no idea whether the Heathrow Express was running between terminals was not really worth the small trek. I'd never bother going back even if I had the opportunity.
Been a while since I've flown AA business into LHR, but as I recall, there is little value in the facility unless you need a shower/change before heading straight to a meeting.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Is the hot breakfast buffet section gone then? I haven't been in there in a couple years, as I left AA EXP behind, but do recall having breakfast there in the morning with eggs and sausage, as well as using the showers, a number of times over the years. I can see them not having a full offering on Christmas morning if they're operating with minimum staff, but surely there are still breakfast options there beyond a croissant?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Is the hot breakfast buffet section gone then? I haven't been in there in a couple years, as I left AA EXP behind, but do recall having breakfast there in the morning with eggs and sausage, as well as using the showers, a number of times over the years. I can see them not having a full offering on Christmas morning if they're operating with minimum staff, but surely there are still breakfast options there beyond a croissant?
I was there in the afternoon about 40 minutes before it closed on Christmas Day, so maybe they had picked up the hot breakfast. In fairness to AA, I exaggerated a bit in that I think there were a few other things like Danishes and a few other snacks in addition to the croissants. But, I didn't see anything substantial - certainly nothing like the food offerings at the LAX flagship lounge and nothing so interesting that the OP should feel they were missing out on something by not being allowed in.

I've only ever gone to London for leisure, so the idea of spending time in a ho-hum lounge when I could be out exploring seems counterproductive. But, if you are there on business and need a shower or you get there very early in the morning well before you can check in to your hotel, I can see value in going there for a bit to freshen up, but I wouldn't choose it over the BA arrivals lounge.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
I said early on in the thread that I wasn't that concerned about the arrivals lounge part of the trip, because I accepted that I may have misunderstood my access privileges based on the AS site saying I could access arrival and departure lounges, and listed LHR among those. But everyone seems to be focusing on that part anyway.

It was the departure from LHR that I really had the issue with. And even upon leaving JFK, the Admirals Club employee wasn't aware that AS members had access. He had to look it up.

My question was really for people who had more experience with the AS/AA lounge relationship than I do, and wondering if and how they have to prove their access privileges. I just don't want to go through all this every time.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
I said early on in the thread that I wasn't that concerned about the arrivals lounge part of the trip, because I accepted that I may have misunderstood my access privileges based on the AS site saying I could access arrival and departure lounges, and listed LHR among those. But everyone seems to be focusing on that part anyway.

It was the departure from LHR that I really had the issue with. And even upon leaving JFK, the Admirals Club employee wasn't aware that AS members had access. He had to look it up.

My question was really for people who had more experience with the AS/AA lounge relationship than I do, and wondering if and how they have to prove their access privileges. I just don't want to go through all this every time.
I've never have had any issues getting into an Admirals Club using my Alaska Lounge membership ... with an AA or AS boarding pass. However; my data points are all domestic lounges.
I was a little worried about getting in at HNL. That lounge, while marketed as an Admirals Club is more like a JAL lounge (the decor and food/beverage offerings are nothing like an AA lounge). I had no problem. The check-in agent even mentioned that they get a lot of "you people" at that lounge.
Freckles68 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:01 pm

I said early on in the thread that I wasn't that concerned about the arrivals lounge...But everyone seems to be focusing on that part anyway.
Thread did take on a life of its own...

...even upon leaving JFK, the Admirals Club employee wasn't aware that AS members had access. He had to look it up.... I just don't want to go through all this every time.
Rest assured, whatever interrogation and/or strip search you're subjected to, it will pale in comparison with indignity of attempting to access the AS club using a Priority Pass card.
Freckles68 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.