Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Mea culpa: I just paid full F fare for JFK-SFO on Alaska

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mea culpa: I just paid full F fare for JFK-SFO on Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by miklcct
This looks exactly the same as business class in European regional carrier!
This is a standard US domestic first class product. Actually more comparable to an International Premium Economy product.
jinglish and pbelmore like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by miklcct
This looks exactly the same as business class in European regional carrier!
Originally Posted by LWkitty
This is a standard US domestic first class product. Actually more comparable to an International Premium Economy product.
That would be my experience too. The only intra-European flights I've flown in business (mainly on LH) feature the same configuration as economy but with the middle seat blocked and a little removable table sitting across the middle seat.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by davie355

but it is not a standard domestic flight. First, it’s transcontinental. Second, it’s between 2 very wealthy cities. That spurs demand for expensive lieflat seats. AS is playing along with expensive but not lieflat. That’s the beef
The OP paid $650 and considered it "full fare". That's an incredibly cheap fare for a lie flat seat. Yes, because of B6, it's currently the going rate in some cases for lie-flat seats on some flights. I personally think that $650 is a reasonable fare for a standard domestic F product (what would be called premium economy on an east coast to Europe flight which is only slightly longer and typically goes for a $500 premium over lowest coach, in my BA experience) on a somewhat-restricted fare with advance purchase requirements, but very cheap for lie flat F/J. As I and others have said, AS is in a bit of a bind because lie flat seats are currently selling for so cheap. In that situation, I wouldn't expect anyone to pay for AS F. But that doesn't make $650 an unreasonable fare for a domestic F product on a transcon flight, accepting that there are customers on this route who are willing to pay more than $650 for a product that AS doesn't offer.
AS Flyer, bmvaughn and pbelmore like this.

Last edited by ashill; Mar 14, 2019 at 12:24 pm
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
No, no, I paid what I usually pay for J on other transcons, about $650 -- that's what I mean by 'full fare.' I generally book quite far in advance so I get the lowest published J fare.
So what you mean by "full fare" is "not full fare". Got it.

That's a pretty good fare for what you got IMO, I paid $699 for SEA-MCI last week one-way in coach.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:46 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

To re-iterate:

$650 or so is currently a regularly available fare for flat bed seating between SFO/LAX-NYC, especially if purchased well in advance. It is not relevant that you paid more for a Y fare between other cities where there is less competition; as everyone on this site must know by now, air fares don't reflect cost or distance.

And I paid that price on AS because the flight left around when I wanted to leave, from my preferred NYC airport, and I assumed that it would be competitive with everyone else. That last item was a mistake on my part, for which I alone am to blame.

I started the thread to remind folks that just because I was stupid this time, no one else need be.

Now I'll stop posting. You may resume your normal superfan AS support without further interruption..
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
~$574, about a week in advance DL, SEA-JFK-DCA, Sun night redeye, 757 with 24 lie-flats on the TCON leg

full disclosure: I’m generally booking coach thru Concur, and having the corporate rep contact DL to handle the upfare and add-collect (typically ~$220-275) on my personal credit card ... yes that particular one was likely a unicorn, but any time I can get generic F — on flights that I’m willing to take — for that, and SDC when/if my schedule permits, I’ll deal with the multiple phone calls

I’m presently at JFK, about to board another 75S for the return trip, having SDCd off BWI-SLC-SEA at T-24
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
So looking at a random day in mid-May on SFO-EWR I see UA with departures each hour, 15 a day. they are all lie flats and five of those flights are wide bodies. The one way fares run between $1,800-$3,700. That same day AS has seven departures (3 to EWR, 4 to JFK) and the fare runs $699-$1400. AS doesn't have lie flats but they are much cheaper than UA, I just don't see the issue?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
So looking at a random day in mid-May on SFO-EWR I see UA with departures each hour, 15 a day. they are all lie flats and five of those flights are wide bodies. The one way fares run between $1,800-$3,700. That same day AS has seven departures (3 to EWR, 4 to JFK) and the fare runs $699-$1400. AS doesn't have lie flats but they are much cheaper than UA, I just don't see the issue?
The OP expected more for their money than the market will bear.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:22 pm

I have bought advanced purchase discount F SFO-ORD a couple times in recent months on AS for about $450 one-way. I thought it was totally worth it, especially since I got the 55” old VX seats which were still totally functional. Now that AS is actually reconfiguring the Airbus fleet to higher density configurations, that is the end of my willingness to pay for F, but it was sure nice while it lasted.

For transcons, I will fly B6 Mint instead, but on a midcon, the former VX seat was actually the best product in that market, since UA and AA are nearly all narrowbody.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
I have bought advanced purchase discount F SFO-ORD a couple times in recent months on AS for about $450 one-way. I thought it was totally worth it, especially since I got the 55” old VX seats which were still totally functional. Now that AS is actually reconfiguring the Airbus fleet to higher density configurations, that is the end of my willingness to pay for F, but it was sure nice while it lasted.

For transcons, I will fly B6 Mint instead, but on a midcon, the former VX seat was actually the best product in that market, since UA and AA are nearly all narrowbody.
But again, for like the 26 millionth time, you can't compare to VX (or TWA or Pan Am) because they don't exist anymore.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:07 pm

But again, for like the 26 millionth time, you can't compare to VX (or TWA or Pan Am) because they don't exist anymore.
I’m only talking about the VX F seating, which is still in place on about 95% of legacy Airbus fleet AS acquired. My point was more that paid F on a former VX bird was a much better value than on an AS 737, because AS did not appear to charge a price premium for F on 320 over 737. Thus, the OP would have been better off booking on an Airbus for the transcon. But that argument will be less compelling as more and more planes get reconfigured.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
To re-iterate:

And I paid that price on AS because the flight left around when I wanted to leave, from my preferred NYC airport, and I assumed that it would be competitive with everyone else. That last item was a mistake on my part, for which I alone am to blame.
Allow me to rephrase what OP is saying:
At the desired departure time and desired departure airport AS is the cheapest so I chose them.

You can't expect the same product if someone is selling them for $1500 and AS is selling them for $650. If they are then you scored a steal. Also it's kinda unreasonable to compare prices from different departure time.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To re-iterate:

$650 or so is currently a regularly available fare for flat bed seating between SFO/LAX-NYC, especially if purchased well in advance. It is not relevant that you paid more for a Y fare between other cities where there is less competition; as everyone on this site must know by now, air fares don't reflect cost or distance.

I started the thread to remind folks that just because I was stupid this time, no one else need be.

Now I'll stop posting. You may resume your normal superfan AS support without further interruption..
Most likely this "regularly available" flat bed fare was not available at the time when you booked and you ended up on AS that was cheaper. You did not check why it was cheaper and what product your were buying and now this is all somehow AS fault and we are all AS superfans. Very few here even defend AS - it is a good carrier but we are well aware of limitations. But most likely you did save $ over flat bed options and you didn't have to go to EWR so it's not all that bad after all...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:53 pm

And honestly it like a 5:30 flight. Other than a red eye does a lie flat even make a major difference? How much sleep do you really get between take off and landing? In the day time I am likely not going to be sleeping anyway.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Other than a red eye does a lie flat even make a major difference?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.