Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Mea culpa: I just paid full F fare for JFK-SFO on Alaska

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mea culpa: I just paid full F fare for JFK-SFO on Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by cmd320
That isn’t the comparison here. It’s 41” pitch domestic F vs. either 1-1 or 2-2 full flat beds on AA/B6/DL/UA. Domestic F with 41” pitch is great if you’re flying from PDX-SAN. It’s crap if you’re flying JFK-SFO.
Much more of AS's flying is PDX-SAN stage length than JFK-SFO stage length (even now that they are flying out of California, where NYC is a more important market for LAX/SFO). This is presumably why they optimized their F cabins for that rather than refit the entire fleet for pmVX F standards or fly a premium transcon subfleet. That might be the wrong optimization, but arguing and complaining about this for the 465474635th time in the AS forum is getting rather old.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Isn't full fare $2000?

And, see, this is the problem. It's not that they don't have real F. It's that they charge the same for fake F as the competition does for real F. If the tickets were $400 this wouldn't be an issue.

The sad part is that, if they sold the tickets for $400, the product would probably get better, because people would buy them, and the cabin would be full of people who paid $400 instead of full of elites who got comp upgrades on $127 fares or applied GGUs to $250 fares. Maybe then they could use some of that extra revenue to buy pillows and pdbs.
They have entire revenue management teams that make these decisions and factor that in (including demand, what has been sold, and what they project to sell). Additionally, I am just a mere Alaska gold this year, but anecdotally, I usually find Alaska the cheapest option in first on transcons flights out of SFO/LAX and from my observation, its generally not close. This isn't necessarily true out of Seattle, but I am not sure how much lie flat transcon (other than Jet Blue and occasionally Delta?) there is out of Seattle. As others have mentioned Alaska competes very well with the other legacy's standard domestic first class product.

If I didn't have the loyalty program or care about price, I would not chose Alaska for transcon flying in first. With just 2 minutes of research (just searching your route on google flights will tell you who has a lie flat product), its pretty obvious their product is inferior. As previously mentioned, from what I have seen, its usually reflected in the price.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lake_Hood
If I didn't have the loyalty program or care about price, I would not chose Alaska for transcon flying in first. With just 2 minutes of research (just searching your route on google flights will tell you who has a lie flat product), its pretty obvious their product is inferior. As previously mentioned, from what I have seen, its usually reflected in the price.
Upgradeable transcon fares (with blue U and everything) are actually a thing out of SFO/LAX that I've seen. Presumably once the pmVX airplanes get additional F seats there will be more of them.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Much more of AS's flying is PDX-SAN stage length than JFK-SFO stage length (even now that they are flying out of California, where NYC is a more important market for LAX/SFO). This is presumably why they optimized their F cabins for that rather than refit the entire fleet for pmVX F standards or fly a premium transcon subfleet. That might be the wrong optimization, but arguing and complaining about this for the 465474635th time in the AS forum is getting rather old.
Yes, however it isn’t relevant. OP’s complaint is about the product offered on JFK-SFO, and what is offered by the competition on this route is the benchmark. AS is years behind what is offerd by every single other airline flying this route.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, however it isn’t relevant. OP’s complaint is about the product offered on JFK-SFO, and what is offered by the competition on this route is the benchmark. AS is years behind what is offerd by every single other airline flying this route.
Right. Which the airline is perfectly fine with, having announced that decision some time ago (thought it appears that long time members of FT either are unaware of this like the OP, or want to relitigate this as the typical FlyerTalk Executive Vice Presidents of Revenue Management and In Flight Product).
bmvaughn, jinglish and pbelmore like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
If you restrict comments only to this route this is absolutely true. This is UA PS route ( SFO_EWR and LAX -EWR , I assume you include all NYC hubs) and you can't really compare products. It is apples and oranges, or should I say cider and champagne.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:00 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Colin
you paid $1600 one-way for Alaska F?
No, no, I paid what I usually pay for J on other transcons, about $650 -- that's what I mean by 'full fare.' I generally book quite far in advance so I get the lowest published J fare.

Originally Posted by azepine00
So why did you book AS and not flat bed of AA UA B6 etc?
I don't remember, as noted just above, it was booked far in advance. Probably a combination of the right departure time and not being EWR.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
If you restrict comments only to this route this is absolutely true. This is UA PS route ( SFO_EWR and LAX -EWR , I assume you include all NYC hubs) and you can't really compare products. It is apples and oranges, or should I say cider and champagne.
Right, but that’s what this thread is about. A customer paid full fare F to fly AS from JFK-SFO and is unhappy with the offering, and rightly so. It’s terrible. Now, the customer should have done better research beforehand, however it seems as though he or she knows that now.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Based on what, not getting PDBs? The pitch on AS is better than AA/UA/DL F on non-transcon routes. I've flown DL F with 36 inch pitch multiple times in the last year- the IFE is nice but if the seat in front of me reclines they might as well be in my lap. It's very similar to what AS F was before they extended pitch from 36" to 41".
First, this thread is about transcon routes.

DL is one product that I can't comment on, because I've never flown them. I have flown both UA and AA in paid F in non-lieflats and IMO the product is better than AS. Pitch is not worth much if the seat is uncomfortable.

And, yes, getting PDBs is important. So is getting a snack box from the back if you want one. In F I expect to be able to get something if it's on the plane. That's what I'm paying for. It's called "service". First class is more than just economy with wider seats.

I am not saying that at all. I am saying there is a vanishingly small chance that AS executives, having full access to VX financials (certainly more than you or I do), went "durr, we hate making money and we're going to make less money than we could, by not standardizing on VX's F product fleetwide".
Well of course, the race to the bottom is profitable. But that doesn't mean that if you don't join that race you are not sustainable.

It's amazing, isn't it, that everyone has copied DL's FFP but nobody has clued in that running an 8 person F cabin on SFO-SAN was the most amazing money making move ever, and that everyone would make more money running 60 inch pitch F (with no upgrades, ever) on 45 minute flights?
So you think that AS should copy DLs FFP? Or is the frequent flyer program sacrosanct and not subject to the same economic laws as the hard product?

Once AS destroys their FFP (it can't be long until the bean counters get their hands on it) they are done. They will be left with the same short-haul product and FFP as their competition, and a worse transcon/hawaii product, and a worse network. In other words, zero reason to fly them. It's going to be quite the show on this forum when AS goes to a revenue-based FFP and MVPGs start earning 1000 miles on those $127 transcons instead of 5000... get your popcorn ready!
jjmadison likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:06 pm

so many people say "full fare" on FlyerTalk when the just mean a "paid fare" as opposed to an "award ticket" or an "upgraded ticketed"
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Colin
so many people say "full fare" on FlyerTalk when the just mean a "paid fare" as opposed to an "award ticket" or an "upgraded ticketed"
Yeah, that was my interpretation of the OP’s post. The other week I was looking at SJC-BUR fares, and the delta between F and Y was $15 (e.g. $64 vs $49). At that price, I would not complain.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I wish i had enough money that i can just pay pay whatever without even a 2 second google search to see what i'm paying for.
tusphotog, bmvaughn and ashill like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
No, no, I paid what I usually pay for J on other transcons, about $650 -- that's what I mean by 'full fare.' I generally book quite far in advance so I get the lowest published J fare.
Ohhh.... that's not what "full fare" means

To avoid future misunderstanding, "full fare" generally refers to unrestricted (refundable) tickets. On AS, full fare first class is an "F" booking code. You got a ticket with a "P" booking code.

What you are referring to is usually just called "paid first class" (that is, you paid for a first class seat, as opposed to getting upgraded to one)

$650 is still too much to pay for AS F IMO, so I feel your pain, but not as much as if you had paid $2000.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The sad part is that, if they sold the tickets for $400, the product would probably get better, because people would buy them, and the cabin would be full of people who paid $400 instead of full of elites who got comp upgrades on $127 fares or applied GGUs to $250 fares. Maybe then they could use some of that extra revenue to buy pillows and pdbs.
Wait, where are there people who get to apply GGUs?

(I presume you know there is very poor availability)
I find it right now very often I get upgraded within that 24 hour period, but prior there was no availability with GGU period. Alaska is hoping people buy those tickets. I think they should look at their data and figure out that nobody buys it at the last minute, and just let people use GGUs
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:37 pm

So I just looked it up. Non-stop business from SFO to JFK for a random date in April is $700. AS $700 consistently for all times, DL, AA, B9 vary widely $700 to $1400+

If OP had just looked at a particular date/time it might have been the same price for AS and B9. But in general it is obvious AS is cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.