Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

On Alaska Airlines LAX-SFO When do the majority of these flights get booked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

I have booked 2 x tickets in First Class in late July and the flight looks pretty empty. Especially first class the tickets I booked are the only seats taken.

Seeing the flight is in late July, roughly when should I start seeing the majority of people book ?

Just asking out of curiosity..

Thank you,
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Aidan
I have booked 2 x tickets in First Class in late July and the flight looks pretty empty. Especially first class the tickets I booked are the only seats taken.

Seeing the flight is in late July, roughly when should I start seeing the majority of people book ?

Just asking out of curiosity..

Thank you,
It could be tomorrow, it could be the day before your flight. Lots of last minute bookings and same day changes in this specific market.

I have a flight on this route next week, and I'm currently the only one booked in F. It's also a flight I've taken many, many times before, and it always goes out full.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response.

I also noticed the economy section was also quite empty, I’m guessing it’s way too early to tell..
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's very early to be booking a ticket on a shuttle route like that. I would not book this early without being Gold or higher, unless the deal was very good, in case of fare drops.
Aidan likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:18 am
Original Poster

I’m not from US, suffer from serious FOMO and have no status with Alaska .

The price was quite reasonable ($152 usd for First Class per ticket), as we may carry more than 1 check-in each..
Im sure not the best deal in town, but I can sleep knowing all flights are booked and for my preferred seats..

Thanks for the tips about booking later in future..

Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Aidan
I’m not from US, suffer from serious FOMO and have no status with Alaska .

The price was quite reasonable ($152 usd for First Class per ticket), as we may carry more than 1 check-in each..
Im sure not the best deal in town, but I can sleep knowing all flights are booked and for my preferred seats..

Thanks for the tips about booking later in future..

Sounds solid. Sometimes it's worth it to secure the seat ahead of time ^ and if bags would now be included...good deal.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, that's not a bad first class fare at all. If you are going to have 2 bags with no status or CC, it's not much more than a cheap economy ticket. At that price I would bite. The best you are going to see is $50 in economy, plus 2 bags is another $60 for $110 total. And, there's no guarantee you will ever see it at that price.
pbelmore, allset2travel and Aidan like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be surprised if it was very booked more than a month out. Even then, that route is filled with people who decide a day or two out they need to fly it and want to be back home by dinner the same day.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:38 pm

Interestingly, my outbound on this trip (SFO-LAX this Sat. at 905am) was booked in M (P/F sold out) and I just got a call that the flight is so overbooked, they want to switch me to the 11am for $300 in wallet funds! Works for me, thanks AS!
Aidan likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Interestingly, my outbound on this trip (SFO-LAX this Sat. at 905am) was booked in M (P/F sold out) and I just got a call that the flight is so overbooked, they want to switch me to the 11am for $300 in wallet funds! Works for me, thanks AS!
That is pretty good compensation for a pretty minor change.

Were you even planning on flying at 9am or were you going to try to SDC your way into an upgrade? (that is my strategy on shuttle flights)
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

Were you even planning on flying at 9am or were you going to try to SDC your way into an upgrade? (that is my strategy on shuttle flights)
I was actually shocked that it was $300, I'm used to hearing $250 at the gate, so quite happy.

And yes, I was planning on flying it, but I've pushed back a lunch from 12p to 130p (15 minute Uber from LAX), so no worries on my end.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

I flew PHX-SFO-JFK last week. Last minute aircraft change prompted an email offer of $350. I didn't see it in time but needed to be in New York for an award continuation after a 2 month stopover anyway. Still got my upgrade despite a paper sign "do not occupy" duck taped to 2D. I was in 2F and used the blanket to cover the seat.

James in Puerto Vallarta

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.