Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-SFO award: F < Y!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
LAX-SFO award: F < Y!

More data for our continuing (fractious?) discussion on AS F revenue management. As discussed a few times, revenue F is sometimes cheaper than Y, with conjecture that it is because of fare buckets and getting corporate travelers to purchase upgradeable fares. Now I'm seeing this for award F as well... which I have only seen a handful of times in 25+ years of playing this game and >8 million miles redeemed. What do you all think?

Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SFOPeter
As discussed a few times, revenue F is sometimes cheaper than Y, with conjecture that it is because of fare buckets and getting corporate travelers to purchase upgradeable fares. Now I'm seeing this for award F as well...
Award fares are revenue fares too.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Yep - have definitely seen this before. Still comes down to fare buckets/overall cabin inventory. Not a great redemption value of miles either way, but if you've got a lot to burn or cash fares are really high, it's an option.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I've seen this on AA (Saver Y is gone, AAnytime Y there, Saver F there, Saver F is cheapest). It's also not THAT uncommon on AS in my experience where W (saver coach) and N (20k coach middle tier) are gone, Z @ 30K (fully refundable coach) and A (saver F) @ 25K exists, cheapest redemption is thus 25K and F.

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 5, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I think this falls into the "goose laying golden eggs" category ... just accept that AS RM and IT aren't 100% optimized, enjoy the opportunity to take advantage, and DON'T bring it to their attention (which, to a degree, includes yammering on FT)
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
I think this falls into the "goose laying golden eggs" category ... just accept that AS RM and IT aren't 100% optimized, enjoy the opportunity to take advantage, and DON'T bring it to their attention (which, to a degree, includes yammering on FT)
Well, here's the underlying cash fare for the exact same flights (3/7/19, so this is probably the walkup fare given we're inside of 48 hours).

From some quick looks, this flight is offering A1 U0. Uh, OK?

Anyways, I don't think AS has their revenue management 100% optimized on pmVX routes. I would expect they are still collecting data (and also their F cabins on pmVX equipment aren't what they will eventually be).
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
17.5k vs $179 is about par ($.01/mi) ... short-haul F for 15k isn't uncommon a couple months out, but I have to say it's highly unusual inside T-48 hrs
SFOPeter likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
17.5k vs $179 is about par ($.01/mi) ... short-haul F for 15k isn't uncommon a couple months out, but I have to say it's highly unusual inside T-48 hrs
What this seems to be is a case of A > U, since inside of 48 hours all the elites should have gotten upgrades (and U is indeed 0, no solid blue Us for any SFO-LAX flight that day).

Of course the U fare == the Y fare at this point, so any elite who buys the fare now will immediately clear into F when they open up U anyways as an immediate upgrade fare.

OMG, AS is allowing 1.72 CPM redemptions into F on a 50 minute flight! Alert the blogs!
be_rettSEA and socalgecko like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
...OMG, AS is allowing 1.72 CPM redemptions into F on a 50 minute flight! Alert the blogs!
uh, yeah, as I said ... :/
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Heh. It's, uh, not just SFO-LAX or shorthaul. I'll leave the rest as an exercise to the reader as opposed to drawing arrows and making red circles.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFOPeter
More data for our continuing (fractious?) discussion on AS F revenue management. As discussed a few times, revenue F is sometimes cheaper than Y, with conjecture that it is because of fare buckets and getting corporate travelers to purchase upgradeable fares. Now I'm seeing this for award F as well... which I have only seen a handful of times in 25+ years of playing this game and >8 million miles redeemed. What do you all think?

I actually see this a lot.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I actually see this a lot.
I see this a lot too on the WAS-SFO route. Y is often 50k while F is 25-40k.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Case in point

SFOPeter likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Just another data point, this for LAX-LAS on 3/26.

Saver X is available for $50, Main for $65 and P for $259 currently. Or you could 30k for that coach seat!

be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.