LAX-SFO award: F < Y!

Old Mar 5, 19, 1:39 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver
Posts: 463
LAX-SFO award: F < Y!

More data for our continuing (fractious?) discussion on AS F revenue management. As discussed a few times, revenue F is sometimes cheaper than Y, with conjecture that it is because of fare buckets and getting corporate travelers to purchase upgradeable fares. Now I'm seeing this for award F as well... which I have only seen a handful of times in 25+ years of playing this game and >8 million miles redeemed. What do you all think?

SFOPeter is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 1:53 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SEA
Programs: DL FO, Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 2,025
Originally Posted by SFOPeter View Post
As discussed a few times, revenue F is sometimes cheaper than Y, with conjecture that it is because of fare buckets and getting corporate travelers to purchase upgradeable fares. Now I'm seeing this for award F as well...
Award fares are revenue fares too.
jinglish is online now  
Old Mar 5, 19, 2:13 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: LAX
Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Posts: 697
Yep - have definitely seen this before. Still comes down to fare buckets/overall cabin inventory. Not a great redemption value of miles either way, but if you've got a lot to burn or cash fares are really high, it's an option.
be_rettSEA is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 2:18 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 17,284
I've seen this on AA (Saver Y is gone, AAnytime Y there, Saver F there, Saver F is cheapest). It's also not THAT uncommon on AS in my experience where W (saver coach) and N (20k coach middle tier) are gone, Z @ 30K (fully refundable coach) and A (saver F) @ 25K exists, cheapest redemption is thus 25K and F.

\_(ツ)_/

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 5, 19 at 2:25 pm
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 2:24 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 13,291
I think this falls into the "goose laying golden eggs" category ... just accept that AS RM and IT aren't 100% optimized, enjoy the opportunity to take advantage, and DON'T bring it to their attention (which, to a degree, includes yammering on FT)
jrl767 is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 2:34 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 17,284
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
I think this falls into the "goose laying golden eggs" category ... just accept that AS RM and IT aren't 100% optimized, enjoy the opportunity to take advantage, and DON'T bring it to their attention (which, to a degree, includes yammering on FT)
Well, here's the underlying cash fare for the exact same flights (3/7/19, so this is probably the walkup fare given we're inside of 48 hours).




From some quick looks, this flight is offering A1 U0. Uh, OK?

Anyways, I don't think AS has their revenue management 100% optimized on pmVX routes. I would expect they are still collecting data (and also their F cabins on pmVX equipment aren't what they will eventually be).
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 2:40 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 13,291
17.5k vs $179 is about par ($.01/mi) ... short-haul F for 15k isn't uncommon a couple months out, but I have to say it's highly unusual inside T-48 hrs
SFOPeter likes this.
jrl767 is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 2:47 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 17,284
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
17.5k vs $179 is about par ($.01/mi) ... short-haul F for 15k isn't uncommon a couple months out, but I have to say it's highly unusual inside T-48 hrs
What this seems to be is a case of A > U, since inside of 48 hours all the elites should have gotten upgrades (and U is indeed 0, no solid blue Us for any SFO-LAX flight that day).

Of course the U fare == the Y fare at this point, so any elite who buys the fare now will immediately clear into F when they open up U anyways as an immediate upgrade fare.

OMG, AS is allowing 1.72 CPM redemptions into F on a 50 minute flight! Alert the blogs!
be_rettSEA and socalgecko like this.
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 2:51 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 13,291
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
...OMG, AS is allowing 1.72 CPM redemptions into F on a 50 minute flight! Alert the blogs!
uh, yeah, as I said ... :/
jrl767 is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 3:00 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 17,284
Heh. It's, uh, not just SFO-LAX or shorthaul. I'll leave the rest as an exercise to the reader as opposed to drawing arrows and making red circles.
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 9:45 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,356
Originally Posted by SFOPeter View Post
More data for our continuing (fractious?) discussion on AS F revenue management. As discussed a few times, revenue F is sometimes cheaper than Y, with conjecture that it is because of fare buckets and getting corporate travelers to purchase upgradeable fares. Now I'm seeing this for award F as well... which I have only seen a handful of times in 25+ years of playing this game and >8 million miles redeemed. What do you all think?

I actually see this a lot.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 9:50 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Programs: AS MVPG75k
Posts: 269
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
I actually see this a lot.
I see this a lot too on the WAS-SFO route. Y is often 50k while F is 25-40k.
jjmadison is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 9:53 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Programs: AS MVPG75k
Posts: 269
Case in point

SFOPeter likes this.
jjmadison is offline  
Old Mar 21, 19, 12:00 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Posts: 1,511
Just another data point, this for LAX-LAS on 3/26.

Saver X is available for $50, Main for $65 and P for $259 currently. Or you could 30k for that coach seat!


be_rettSEA likes this.
NoLaGent is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread