Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Change fee for Gold/Non-MVP companion ticket

Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k; Hyatt Plat

Questions came up that my wife and I aren't sure of the answer on: If we put non-MVP family members on a companion fare with us (Gold and 75k) does the waiver of the change fee apply to both on the booking or is the non-MVP passenger subject to the $125 fee? Many thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by germangreenmtboy
Questions came up that my wife and I aren't sure of the answer on: If we put non-MVP family members on a companion fare with us (Gold and 75k) does the waiver of the change fee apply to both on the booking or is the non-MVP passenger subject to the $125 fee? Many thanks!
The change fee waiver only applies to the MVPG passenger. The non-MVP pax is subject to the $125 fee. Whether you will get an agent who waives that is very much YMMV. I have always been charged the change fee for Mr. Fink on a companion fare unless the reason for the change involved an AS schedule change, of course.
spamman808 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Unfortunately, the non-MVP family member we will still be subject to the change fee, even if on a companion ticket booking. The only workaround for no change fees for those family members is to book them on miles from the account of the gold or G75. If you do that though, you cant use the companion certificate
spamman808 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Yes, the non-Gold pax will pay the change fee. I've been bit by this with my spouse as the companion, especially since the 60+ day before flight date change fee waiver is no longer an Alaska Airlines benefit. Sometimes, if the trip isn't going to happen, I just abandon the companion cert and take the My Wallet credit for my ticket. The change fee often winds up being the same as what I paid for using the companion cert. Others, of course, may try to save it (but sometimes I don't have another use for it before it expires).
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Wait, really? I've never, ever, been charged a change fee for my companions, even those with no status. Am I just that smooth of a talker? :P
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by icelandman2
Wait, really? I've never, ever, been charged a change fee for my companions, even those with no status. Am I just that smooth of a talker? :P
apparently so. unfortunately that is AS's policy. Non-Gold/75k gets charged the change fee. I've had several generous (maybe oblivious?) customer service agents who have helped me out on several occasions in different ways. I try to keep that in mind when things don't go quite as I hope on other occasions.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.