SFO Check-In Question

Old Mar 1, 19, 9:11 pm
formerly Mdanner423
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
SFO Check-In Question

Going to be on two separate tickets. EVA to SFO and then Alaska to RDU. EVA comes into the international terminal. Can I check into the Alaska flight there even if it departs from terminal 2?
Old Mar 1, 19, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mdanner423 View Post
Going to be on two separate tickets. EVA to SFO and then Alaska to RDU. EVA comes into the international terminal. Can I check into the Alaska flight there even if it departs from terminal 2?
Yes, as long as you're not checking bags. With bags, your only option will be T2.
Old Mar 1, 19, 9:23 pm

You can check in from anywhere you want if you have your phone and an internet connection I assume you are talking about dropping off your bags, though? For that you will have to go to T2.

There is an airtrain that never seems to be running any more. It's not a very long walk if you don't have too many bags -- if you can comfortably roll your bags I would walk. Maybe a 10 min walk?

I think that the are shuttle buses or something while the airtrain is not running but it's really just easier to walk.
Old Mar 1, 19, 9:51 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
BR has an baggage interlining agreement with AS so theoretically you could just have BR check your bag all the way through--you'd still have to reclaim it at customs but could then just place it back on the belt when you exit. But I don't know how willing BR's check-in ages are to do so.
Old Mar 1, 19, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
You can check in from anywhere you want if you have your phone and an internet connection I assume you are talking about dropping off your bags, though? For that you will have to go to T2.

There is an airtrain that never seems to be running any more. It's not a very long walk if you don't have too many bags -- if you can comfortably roll your bags I would walk. Maybe a 10 min walk?

I think that the are shuttle buses or something while the airtrain is not running but it's really just easier to walk.
I agree with Vegas that the walk is just easier than a shuttle.

The walk takes about 12-15 minutes to go from the farside of the International terminal to the Alaska check in counter in terminal 2. The walk is all indoors and there are art displays at some points along the way if you have time to enjoy them. The airport has luggage carts you can use if needed.

The air shuttle when working doesn't save time but saves walking. It may be an interesting free ride but after a flight, I prefer to do some walking.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Mar 2, 19, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish View Post
BR has an baggage interlining agreement with AS so theoretically you could just have BR check your bag all the way through--you'd still have to reclaim it at customs but could then just place it back on the belt when you exit. But I don't know how willing BR's check-in ages are to do so.
On separate tickets? I guess it's worth a shot but I wouldn't count on it. Can they even pull up your reservation on AS metal with an AS ticket number and no leg on their own metal?

I couldn't even get Finnair to check my bags though when transferring Finnair-Finnair in Helsinki on separate tickets. Same airline!
Old Mar 2, 19, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by PaperGlider View Post
The airport has luggage carts you can use if needed.
Can you take those between terminals? I've never used one...
Old Mar 2, 19, 4:41 pm

Can you take those between terminals? I've never used one...
Yes. Often when descending the escalator from the check in level in the International terminal down to the walking route, I see a few abandoned carts at the bottom. I am sure there is an elevator nearby but I have never taken it.

The walk inside at that level is all level or maybe one slight down ramp.

The first part is barren. Once down the ramp and into the start of the domestic terminals it remains level.
Old Mar 2, 19, 5:07 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
On separate tickets? I guess it's worth a shot but I wouldn't count on it. Can they even pull up your reservation on AS metal with an AS ticket number and no leg on their own metal?

I couldn't even get Finnair to check my bags though when transferring Finnair-Finnair in Helsinki on separate tickets. Same airline!
​​​​​​I wouldn't count on it either, but it's possible as long as the two carriers have an interlining agreement. I've had AS check my bags through to a separate QF ticket before, and BA onto AA. OW has some fairly strict recommended guidances (though not all carriers follow them) on checking through across separate tickets (which were implemented the next day after I had BA check my bag through); not sure what *A says.
Old Mar 3, 19, 3:52 pm
formerly Mdanner423
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks for the answers! So I understand Alaska has a check in at SFO International terminal but for domestic flights you need to go to T2 right?
Old Mar 3, 19, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire Amb, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Mdanner423 View Post
Thanks for the answers! So I understand Alaska has a check in at SFO International terminal but for domestic flights you need to go to T2 right?

AS no longer operates a ticket counter or check-in facilities in the International Terminal at SFO.

If BR (EVA) is able to check your bags through on AS, you will reclaim them in SFO at customs and you can drop them on the belt before going to T2.

If BR (EVA) is unable to check your bags through on AS, you will reclaim them in SFO at customs and you'll need to take them to AS' ticket counter in T2.

If you're not checking bags, you'll exit customs, proceed to T2 and check-in w/AS there.

FYI: AS still notes on their website that some flights may depart from the International Terminal, but I haven't seen that happen in months. Instead, they're using a gate in T1 for overflow.

It also clearly notes that the only ticket counter is in T2.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...-San-Francisco

Search this Thread
Search Engine: