Community
Wiki Posts
Search

smell on Alaska Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

smell on Alaska Airlines

Does anyone know what caused the smell on the 2 Alaska Airlines planes? I was so close to booking a flight with them but now thinking I will cancel the trip because I'm traveling with an infant.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Have no idea...but after 40 years flying with them, never had an issue of smell except seat mates and the anonymous flatulent individual...you will be fine
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
Have no idea...but after 40 years flying with them, never had an issue of smell except seat mates and the anonymous flatulent individual...you will be fine
I'm sure the people that were hospitalized thought the same thing.... Just want to know the cause.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Welcome to FT daufoi!

Completely unhelpful, but the thread title made me think first of this, which AS has been promoting.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by daufoi
Does anyone know what caused the smell on the 2 Alaska Airlines planes?
Not sure anyone here would have access to that info...and if they did, they probably wouldn’t be posting it here.

That being said, fume events (as these things are called) are uncommon, when you consider the sheer number of flights around the world in a day. Here’s a list for your reading pleasure.

nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here are the "odor" events to which OP refers (would have been nice if some link had been provided in original post) --

https://komonews.com/news/local/anot...assengers-crew
spamman808 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
I've been told by one pilot and one FA that there are many more of these events that never make the news because they do not result in diversions. There is been a discussion of this on the private VX board for the last year. Apparently, the increase in odor incidents has been due to deferred Airbus maintenance schedules that Alaska mandated after taking over. To be fair to Alaska, this is partly because they have experience with Boeing planes and not Airbus which require more regular maintenance. I hope Alaska will soon move back to the maintenance schedules Airbus recommends.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Another sign its time to get rid of airbus, more maintenance means more money. OP has nothing to worry about if they are on Boeing.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by CDKing
Another sign its time to get rid of airbus, more maintenance means more money. OP has nothing to worry about if they are on Boeing.
Assuming the maintenance story is really true, which I find hard to believe from my arm chair:

Time to get rid of employees who make stupid decisions. Stupid decisions means more money. OP has nothing to worry about if they are on an airline that doesn’t make such stupid decisions.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by jjmadison
the increase in odor incidents has been due to deferred Airbus maintenance
On Tuesday it was flight 1506 and the plane was an Airbus A320 however on Wednesday it was flight 51 and a 737-900 that was diverted due to a smell.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: QF WP
I’d file this under things that are not worth worrying about. All airlines/aircraft have these events from time to time
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

How come the planes have returned to service? Isn't the company obligated to report an issue that made people sick?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: QF WP
I can’t claim an inside understanding of how the NTSB handles these things. But diversions, especially those that make the 6 o’clock news or result in multiple people being taken to hospital, don’t exactly go unnoticed by the regulator

However. If the NTSB are anything like CASA (Australia), unless anything new is expected to come from an investigation (and with something like this being such a frequent and known issue, I would suspect not), they’ll most likely not investigate individual occurrences. CASA did a mass review of multiple fume events a few years back FWIW
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:33 pm

It doesn't necessarily make it better but every large airline in the U.S. has had similar incidents. I don't know the cause, and I don't love knowing that it's a somewhat common occurrence but it's not something that is limited to Alaska Airlines. American, Spirit, Frontier, Delta.... they've all experienced similar incidents.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by daufoi
I'm sure the people that were hospitalized thought the same thing.... Just want to know the cause.
i did not mean to be flippant..there are events that happen on flights; bad service, turbulence, bad seat mates...my point was that in my experience I have not encountered anything other than what I mentioned. AS is a safe airline, you and your child will be fine. The cause for the diversion for “smell” is an oddity..even if it happened twice.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.