Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Search for International Awards That Only Show All Premium Segments? (No)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search for International Awards That Only Show All Premium Segments? (No)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:55 pm

I'm looking at Portland, OR to Venice in Oct. Business class would be great too but I have the same problem with those. Searches on Alaska's website return mixed fares and the one that is coach is always the shorter connecting domestic flight.

It's odd that Alaska's website can't sort for 1st or business class only legs. Unless as I said they want to make it harder to redeem miles. A few months ago I tried to find Australia flights, even a year out, and gave up.

Thanks for you reply!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS - MVP Gold, Bonvoy - Silver, Star Citizen - Concierge
I have found this infuriating as well. It is frustrating searching for business or international first award space then seeing that mixed icon and finding everything in coach with the exception of one 1 hour leg in domestic first!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bostonorr
I'm looking at Portland, OR to Venice in Oct. Business class would be great too but I have the same problem with those. Searches on Alaska's website return mixed fares and the one that is coach is always the shorter connecting domestic flight.

It's odd that Alaska's website can't sort for 1st or business class only legs. Unless as I said they want to make it harder to redeem miles. A few months ago I tried to find Australia flights, even a year out, and gave up.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts
BA may be your best(?) option.
You will not get all First class to Venice as BA do not fly first to VCE.
BA business class in Eu is the same as economy with the middle seat blocked
Only EK will/may have first class to VCE (but the long way).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice_Marco_Polo_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portla...tional_Airport

Look at starting from a large gateway, SEA, YVR, LAX, PHL or ?
Try for the long haul first then add on secondary flights (e.g. SEA LHR)

For any award to Eu look for a flight to anywhere in Eu half close to your final destination and then a train or airline (cash paid)
VCE is very much a popular leisure destination

Trans Altlantic premium seats (First - business) are very hard to get with any ffp.
And USA Australia much harder again - AS QF thread--->Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Consider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews

Best of luck for the hunt
DrAlex likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, HA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Think about going into Milan. You can go PDX to New York and try for EK to Milan. Nice train ride from Milan to Venice.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thepinenuts
Think about going into Milan. You can go PDX to New York and try for EK to Milan. Nice train ride from Milan to Venice.
Can JFK MXP on EK be booked as an AS award?
https://www.emirates.com/english/boo...john-f-kennedy

As AA is an AS ff award partner this AA thread may be of interest-->Where exactly does AA fly to Europe? Which routes have good business seats?
But there are endless complaints on the AA forum on the lack of premium awards USA Eu
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:49 am

Sorry to bump an old thread but I am looking for confirmation of something...

I am trying to book AA using AS miles on SLC-PHX-PVR and I see different availability on AA.com vs AS.com. I know that AA uses married segment control for awards. Does AS pull AA availability as an O&D or do they piece it together by segment? It appears to be the latter but I am looking for confirmation. If it is by segment, why does AA allow that?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thepinenuts
Anyone seen a biz or first seat on an American international flight for redemption? Lots of "Mixed Cabin" with the international leg always in coach. Used to see first and biz all the time, now nothing.
Basically the same question as this recent AS thread

Last edited by dayone; Mar 3, 2019 at 12:56 am Reason: Remove circular link after merge.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:23 pm

Thank you all very much for these suggestions and links. Searching from the gateway cities is identifying some opportunities.

Appreciate your help!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone have an effective way to search for international flights using miles (with multiple legs) so that the search results on Alaska include only first class flights? Whenever I search, the short domestic connecting flight is first class but the international leg (the one I care about) is economy. Finding a first class international fare to book is like searching for a needle in a haystack. Even when I search 8-12 months out, I can't find the needles.

Customer Care on the phone tells me they have to do it the same way. It's a MASSIVE waste of time for and for them. But maybe a great way to keep me from ever using a million+ miles.

Does anyone have a better way?

Thanks
Search segment by segment.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Does anyone have an effective way to search for international flights using miles (with multiple legs) so that the search results on Alaska include only first class flights? Whenever I search, the short domestic connecting flight is first class but the international leg (the one I care about) is economy. Finding a first class international fare to book is like searching for a needle in a haystack. Even when I search 8-12 months out, I can't find the needles.

Customer Care on the phone tells me they have to do it the same way. It's a MASSIVE waste of time for and for them. But maybe a great way to keep me from ever using a million+ miles.

Does anyone have a better way?

Thanks
If you uncheck the airline that never has business on the international leg (eg AA) then it simplifies the search. Also do a search on only the international long leg - that will tell u if the class of service you want is available on the date u want. Then search again for the whole trip - you'll know which airline to look for.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
If you uncheck the airline that never has business on the international leg (eg AA) then it simplifies the search. Also do a search on only the international long leg - that will tell u if the class of service you want is available on the date u want. Then search again for the whole trip - you'll know which airline to look for.
AA has business on international legs. I'm on AA metal SFO-LHR and return, booked with AA miles (saver business; same award inventory is available on AS)

I find that the best thing to do, if you know which gateways are options, is to search for the TATL/TPAC segments individually (one search for each gateway) and use calendar view, setting the CoS to what you want.

Then once you know which segments have availability, it should be easy to do a point-to-point search and connect it to an AS domestic flight.
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA, AS

Thanks for you reply!
If you are OK with large carrier surcharges you might be able to find something on BA. Use rewardflightfinder to identify availability from gateway routes (SEA-LON, SFO-LON) then build a trip around that. You can usually pick up LON-VCE on BA and getting from PDX to the US gateway on AS in Y might be doable.

Another tip is AS does not search for AA married segments on the website. I have seen some married segment awards on AA that do not show up on AS. You can use AA advanced search and limit results to AA only then use the calendar. If you can identify a married segment award on aa.com (AA metal) then hopefully AS agents could ticket it but you will not find it on the website.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
If you can identify a married segment award on aa.com (AA metal) then hopefully AS agents could ticket it but you will not find it on the website.
IME, AS agents can't pull inventory any differently than the website. If they could, the website would also show it.

This limitation makes AS miles significantly less useful for trips on AA.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Based on the pricing I'm seeing on AA for a J award on their metal (135K-180K) on a bad day plus APD taxes in some cities, the BA option is is much more appealing than in previous years. I'm flying FCO-LHR-SEA for 373 USD and 70K in miles v. 135K in AA miles plus 70 bucks in taxes for J and a lovely three to six hours in CLT or PHL on the way home.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
AA has business on international legs. I'm on AA metal SFO-LHR and return, booked with AA miles (saver business; same award inventory is available on AS)

I find that the best thing to do, if you know which gateways are options, is to search for the TATL/TPAC segments individually (one search for each gateway) and use calendar view, setting the CoS to what you want.

Then once you know which segments have availability, it should be easy to do a point-to-point search and connect it to an AS domestic flight.
Good point - I usually search to SE Asia and EVERY flight that has AA over the water that shows up as business or first has a 1 hour flight in F and all the rest in Y. That's why I gave up on AA - clearly it is different to Europe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.