Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Elite Status (MVP/MVPG) After Four/Eight Transcon Segments (Targeted CA/East Coast)

Elite Status (MVP/MVPG) After Four/Eight Transcon Segments (Targeted CA/East Coast)

Old Mar 1, 19, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, Marriott, Hyatt, TR Seven Stars

2 roundtrips (TCons) to MVP, 4 to MVPG...quite the promo.:

https://www.alaskaair.com/promo/AS19...ce=PROMOTIONAL
Old Mar 1, 19, 10:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
  1. Between March 6 and May 31, 2019, fly nonstop on Alaska Airlines between the cities listed below.
    • You'll earn MVP status after 2 round trips (4 qualifying flights)
    • You'll earn MVP Gold status after 4 round trips (8 qualifying flights)
Three months to do 4 round trips? Chances are if you're flying that often coast to coast you're gonna hit MVPG this year anyway. This just gets you there a little earlier.
Old Mar 1, 19, 10:40 am

Have to live in certain states to participate (or change your address in your account?). Status lasts til end of 2019. Would normal qualification during 2019 grant status through 2020?
Old Mar 1, 19, 10:48 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by WantOnlinePoker View Post
Have to live in certain states to participate (or change your address in your account?). Status lasts til end of 2019. Would normal qualification during 2019 grant status through 2020?
Good catch - normally, yes, you'd earn through the following calendar year, so pretty much useless for those Gold or higher. If MVP w/ lots of planned travel to/from eligible cities before June, could get you to Gold faster for the rest of the year (or at least until you'd normally qualify).

Given city pairs listed and eligibility requirements, looks to be an effort to pull traffic from UA/DL/AA on trans-cons (outside PNW where they already do well) by giving some perks and hoping those will be enough to convince them to stick w/ AS.
Old Mar 1, 19, 10:52 am

Programs: DL GM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Quick back of the napkin calculation to evaluate this in terms of $/mi (like a mileage run): Suppose you did for 4 weekends in a row the SFO->EWR Friday night redeye, coming back to SFO on Saturday afternoon. According to Google Flights for the next four weekends this itinerary costs $435, $405, $452, and $503, for a total of $1795. At the end of it you're awarded MVPG status, which is the equivalent of 40000 EQM (the amount you have to fly on AS metal to get Gold). So that comes out to $0.0448/mi, which isn't bad but also not amazing.

EDIT:
Looked at more routes on different dates, and came up with the following:
April 5-6: SFO <-> PHL, $311
April 26-27: SFO <-> RDU, $211
May 3-4: SFO <-> RDU, $211
May 10-11: SFO <-> JFK, $231

Thats a total of only $964, for a whopping $0.0241/mi!

Last edited by muaddib89; Mar 1, 19 at 11:36 am Reason: Additional info
Old Mar 1, 19, 10:58 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Peon
Originally Posted by muaddib89 View Post
Quick back of the napkin calculation to evaluate this in terms of $/mi (like a mileage run): Suppose you did for 4 weekends in a row the SFO->EWR Friday night redeye, coming back to SFO on Saturday afternoon. According to Google Flights for the next four weekends this itinerary costs $435, $405, $452, and $503, for a total of $1795. At the end of it you're awarded MVPG status, which is the equivalent of 40000 EQM (the amount you have to fly on AS metal to get Gold). So that comes out to $0.0448/mi, which isn't bad but also not amazing.
Also, you'd likely qualify for MVP or get very close in 2020 if doing 8 transcon segments. A "soft landing" of sorts...
NoLaGent, be_rettSEA and muaddib89 like this.
Old Mar 1, 19, 11:26 am

8 segments during this promo from any of the CA cities to NYC or BOS would get you 20K+ miles. Should grant 2019 MVPG and MVP the regular way through 2020.
Old Mar 1, 19, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, Marriott, Hyatt, TR Seven Stars

Agreed, it's a great fast track to MVPG for those it works for and an obvious attempt to grab tcon market share from the Big 3. Pretty smart of AS, I would say.
be_rettSEA and muaddib89 like this.
Old Mar 1, 19, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by muaddib89 View Post

EDIT:

And how much does the chiropractor, or physical therapist, cost?
Old Mar 1, 19, 11:54 am

Anyone have any idea if trips originating in FLL to LAX/SFO would qualify? It's not clear from the email. LAX-FLL and SFO-FLL are clearly listed, but not the other way around. Per AS via Twitter, trips originating in FLL would not qualify. So I'm not sure why they targeted me....

Also, is it really worth it if status is only good through 2019? I was all-in on AS/VX for the past 3 years, but the fares and schedules along with all the non-AS destinations I had planned for this year caused me to switch to *A. If AS status was good through 2020, I might do this so I'd have some flexibility for next year. But this year is all about the Gold Rush on *A.

Last edited by mccafferyr; Mar 1, 19 at 11:56 am Reason: Update from AS via Twitter
Old Mar 1, 19, 12:02 pm
Suspended

How worth is the MVPG compared to MVP?
My MVP expires end of this year. I'm sure I can earn MVP for next year as well since I have a trip to Australia planned in November.
I don't fly too much but barely enough to make MVP.
What interested me is the waived change fee/cancellation fee.
How helpful is this benefit? Is is worth burning $1000 to earn MVPG?
Companion F upgrades would be great but im not sure if there are no 2 upgrades available, the list would give a lower preference to me with companion?
Old Mar 1, 19, 12:09 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by godofchurning View Post
My MVP expires end of this year. I'm sure I can earn MVP for next year as well since I have a trip to Australia planned in November.
Companion F upgrades would be great but im not sure if there are no 2 upgrades available, the list would give a lower preference to me with companion?
You answered your own question. If you don't travel much then no it is not worth it to spend $1000 for status you will barely use. Are you going to cancel more than 9 flights this year to get the credit back? If not, then paying $1000 on the off chance you might want to save the $125 change fee makes no sense.
mccafferyr and williwaw like this.
Old Mar 1, 19, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat
do you get GGUs with the status? That would be a critical item for me. If not then I dont see a good reason to spend $$$ For mileage runs. Also not worth it just for 2019.
Old Mar 1, 19, 12:46 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by godofchurning View Post
I like the change waiver, but it's not worth anywhere near $1k (plus time spent, presumably), especially if you're "only" flying 20k miles/year. Companion F upgrades are not that great because, IME, they don't process reliably if the companion doesn't have elite status. I've found that it's possible to get the companion upgrade if 2 U spaces open during your elite upgrade window (which won't be that long for MVPG), but if the upgrade list is clearing at the gate, the non-status companion doesn't end up on it.
Old Mar 1, 19, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Looks like my wife’s AS account still has our old CA address since she got targeted with this promo. Not going to happen, though.

Search this Thread