Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Elite Status (MVP/MVPG) After Four/Eight Transcon Segments (Targeted CA/East Coast)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Status (MVP/MVPG) After Four/Eight Transcon Segments (Targeted CA/East Coast)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sudobuntu
And although the value proposition worked for me, I agree it would be hard to justify a full 8 of these flights solely for the promo. At least out of SAN.
I just finished #6 and will probably fly 7 and 8 at the end of next week and make gold at about 25K miles. Given my likely upcoming travel, I'll probably hit 40K miles by mid July anyway. Unfortunately it's been mostly LAX-BOS, which isn't bad on the outbound but the return flight gets long. I've also been 0-12 on upgrades this year (half transcon, half to PDX), but I think I've figured out why - all my transcon trips this year have started on monday mornings, and those are among the most crowded flights, where last year I think I did a lot of tues/wed trip starts.

I've also still seen almost nobody in boarding group A out of LA-- a few people per flight on the north/south route, and I think a total of 2 in six transcon to/from LAX flights.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
I like the change waiver, but it's not worth anywhere near $1k (plus time spent, presumably), especially if you're "only" flying 20k miles/year. Companion F upgrades are not that great because, IME, they don't process reliably if the companion doesn't have elite status. I've found that it's possible to get the companion upgrade if 2 U spaces open during your elite upgrade window (which won't be that long for MVPG), but if the upgrade list is clearing at the gate, the non-status companion doesn't end up on it.
My SO is MVP. What about such a case?
Old May 8, 2019, 9:36 pm

$250 4 RT SFO-PHL Saver Fares.
Done with 2 RT. 2 more this weekend.
You won't believe it but I did Friday night SFO-PHL, 1hr stopover, same plane back PHL-SFO. 10hr stopover SFO-PHL and PHL-SFO.
I slept the full 24hrs in the plane. did not have the time to do it over 4 weekends so had to squeeze in to just 2 weekends of 2 days each.
It wasn't that bad but i regretted booking saver. seeing literally the entire routing on Saturday was 0 MVPs and 0MVPGs. I am MVP from last year and i could have eaisly been in F for 3/4 flights.
A friend of mine gave booked me 2 RT for $200 (he had a voucher for $500 and gave it to me for just $200). He also had a $100 discount code.
I used the Ritz travel credit for $300. Ended up spending around $310 for 4 RT Transcon. will earn around 50k RDM and 20K EQM. Since im stacking this with the double miles promo.
simonsuo likes this.

Last edited by alaskaforlife; May 8, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Old May 8, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
You won't believe it but I did Friday night SFO-PHL, 1hr stopover, same plane back PHL-SFO.
Lucky and/or good planning that you had the same plane going back. I had a friend who last month did SAN-MCO, 45m layover, then MCO-SAN, except they weren't the same plane apparently, and when the outbound was delayed by an hour, he arrived in MCO to discover the return flight took off without him and none of AS' interlining partners had any seats remaining the day. Had to be moved to a flight MCO-SEA-SAN that left the following morning, making a 16 hour delay.

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Given my likely upcoming travel, I'll probably hit 40K miles by mid July anyway
Here's to the (hopefully) extra 4 GGUs we get on making "real" Gold through 2020?
Old May 9, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
My SO is MVP. What about such a case?
I have not had problems getting upgrades processed when traveling with a MVP. Of course, such a companion would always qualify for upgrades within the discussed timeframe anyway, albeit perhaps in a different order. As always YMMV.
Old May 18, 2019, 1:45 pm

Did anyone get the GGUs after qualifying for MVP Gold?
Old May 18, 2019, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think this promo gives you GGUs does it?
Old May 18, 2019, 2:26 pm

Yes, as soon as the status showed in my account, the codes showed up in a new "Upgrades" section on the website.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 5:13 pm

Yes, as soon as the status showed in my account, the codes showed up in a new "Upgrades" section on the website.
Oh, I see it. Awesome! Thanks!
Old May 19, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My recent run

Cost
Run 1 $290 in saver, Run 2, 3, 4, $200 each in saver. Parking and mileage, trains, etc, around $200? Run 1 and Run 2 is in conjunction with my business trip, so I kind of dipping into that too and save a few.

What I get
I did stop by at KAL lounge to get a shower and some food and drink before my each flights, and went to P.F. Chang to get some take out with my PP. I have 2 PP cards, and I double dipping them at P.F. Chang each time, just tip the server, not the host. Enjoy the sushi and salad very much. With a $7 evian I would never buy otherwise. The hosts are mean.

I called AS, they process this promo each day around 3 am PDT. So, once you finished your flight, you should be able to see your new status the next day. And I see my MVP, and MVPG exactly like that.

If you have other travel booked before your get your status, on the next night to the day of your status, you can choose elite seats / premium class free of charge if you are in certain fare class.
Once you get MVGP, you will see 4 Gold Upgrade in your account, valid until 12/31/2020.

With double miles on transcon routes, I end up with 45000 miles now. Eyeing on my trip to China with a stopover on Hainan J.
Seat Assignments
Run1, LAX-BWI-LAX
When I check in at the Customer Assistance desk at LAX, yes, those long lines in front of an agent, I asked to get both my outbound and inbound boarding pass. It was around T-3 for my outbound. I got assigned 6F, yay, premium class window seats. It sounds great, but the lady in the middle seat is super fat, her arm crossed over the arm rest and came on top of my arm a bit. And, the armrest is up a little because of her thigh. For my inbound flight, normal middle seat at back 29E. But moved up front a little to 10E at the gate.

Run2, LAX-PHL-LAX
Again, I went to the Customer Assistance desk at LAX to checkin, outbound get an 6B again, For inbound, I can't remember when the seat assignment showed up, but def. before T-24, assigned at 6B.

Run3, LAX-PHL-LAX
Now, I already have the MVP status thanks to the promo. However, my original routine doesn't work any more. Went to the Elite Check-in desk, and got assigned for 22F and 9A. Still, windows seats, not bad. ps, FA of outbound flight talked a lot and loud.

Run4, LAX-PHL-LAX
This time is a little different, normally my seat won't be assigned until I go to check-in (other than the 6B I got once), but it got assigned T-18 (around) to 27A and 9A. And I still haven't checked in yet. I don't know if they were assigned together, but happened overnight. I did go to the gate again, and get assigned at the exit row. And on my way back, I owned a whole exit row myself.

Overall, the experience is good. and Virgin's old fleet is comfy compared to others. Premium Class is really nice compared to Delta's Comfort+. And, with my cheap fare, I still got tons of miles.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by simonsuo
Once you get MVGP, you will see 4 Gold Upgrade in your account, valid until 12/31/2020.
Overall, the experience is good. and Virgin's old fleet is comfy compared to others. Premium Class is really nice compared to Delta's Comfort+. And, with my cheap fare, I still got tons of miles.
Don't forget that unless you requalify this year the normal way for MVPG (so that your card is "valid until 12/31/2020"), then you probably should use your GGUs by 12/31/2019. If a flight you used a GGU on is changed or cancelled in 2020 and you're no longer an MVPG, your GGU is forfeited.

...but on a slightly different note, since you mentioned Delta, you could probably now match/challenge your MVPG to Platinum Medallion and keep that status train running. Need a lot of MQMs fairly quickly and depends on your flight patterns if it's worth it, but it's effectively the same amount of flying as you just did in a similar timeframe.
simonsuo likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
...but on a slightly different note, since you mentioned Delta, you could probably now match/challenge your MVPG to Platinum Medallion and keep that status train running. Need a lot of MQMs fairly quickly and depends on your flight patterns if it's worth it, but it's effectively the same amount of flying as you just did in a similar timeframe.
The rules for DL say "Promotional or temporary elite status on other airlines will not be eligible for this promotion."
Old May 20, 2019, 5:13 pm

Don't forget that unless you requalify this year the normal way for MVPG (so that your card is "valid until 12/31/2020"), then you probably should use your GGUs by 12/31/2019. If a flight you used a GGU on is changed or cancelled in 2020 and you're no longer an MVPG, your GGU is forfeited.

I would argue that Alaska Premium seats are much better than Comfort Plus seats. Delta Plat is good for mostly domestic but Delta One upgrades are pretty low on most routes as a plat... Unless you fly like wednesday or something..
Old May 20, 2019, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The rules for DL say "Promotional or temporary elite status on other airlines will not be eligible for this promotion."
Yes, those are the written rules. Anecdotally there are some reports of people just showing the digital card/My Account website section, being approved, and not being asked for a mileage statement. (on statusmatcher and a Miles to Memories blog post today)
Since the AS digital card resulting from this promo doesn't look any different than the one earned via published guidelines, I wrote probably. Perhaps "possibly" is a better word. It's definitely YMMV.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Yes, those are the written rules. Anecdotally there are some reports of people just showing the digital card/My Account website section, being approved, and not being asked for a mileage statement. (on statusmatcher and a Miles to Memories blog post today)
Since the AS digital card resulting from this promo doesn't look any different than the one earned via published guidelines, I wrote probably. Perhaps "possibly" is a better word. It's definitely YMMV.
Sure. Just want folks to know what the rules are. It would be be better to match after July anyway, since the status would stick for all of 2020 if you met the challenge. Also note that DL has an MQD requirement for the challenge as well, so buying a bunch of cheap DL transcons and flying them won't work unless you have the spend waiver (easiest form: DL AMEX and spend a bunch, enjoy your SkyPesos).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.