Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Elite Status (MVP/MVPG) After Four/Eight Transcon Segments (Targeted CA/East Coast)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Status (MVP/MVPG) After Four/Eight Transcon Segments (Targeted CA/East Coast)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:43 pm
ftv

Programs: AS MVP 100K, F9 dirt Hilton damond, Choice Gold, Former DL Plat, UA 1K
Would this routing count? MCO-SFO-LAX (or another city pair that has valid city p[airs but continues on to another city, if I am being clear)
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by ftv
Would this routing count? MCO-SFO-LAX (or another city pair that has valid city p[airs but continues on to another city, if I am being clear)
I don't see anything within the terms that would exclude the additional leg, but obviously only the MCO-SFO segment would count toward the total "round trips". AS may be able to clarify or confirm, but would guess adding the LAX segment doesn't negate the transcon segment.
missydarlin likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
I don't see anything within the terms that would exclude the additional leg, but obviously only the MCO-SFO segment would count toward the total "round trips". AS may be able to clarify or confirm, but would guess adding the LAX segment doesn't negate the transcon segment.
I have an LAX-SFO-BWI and BWI-LAX booked. I called to see if it would count as a RT and they said the SFO-BWI and BWI-LAX would count as a RT, if that helps.

I have 3 transcon RTs to eligible cities already booked for work which were reimbursed, so basically I need 1 qualifying RT to earn MVPG. I can do LAX-BOS-LAX in one day for $271, with $200 being credited back to be with my Amex Plat card, so out of pocket for me is $71. My MVP expires 12/2019. Upping to MVPG by May for the rest of the year is totally worth it for me, right? I can't see the downside, but I'm also pretty new to M&P.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
The RTs are not required; it's just how they are advertising it. Ultimately you need 8 t-con segments; that's all.

To me the biggest G benefit is the companion upgrade + change fee waivers. e.g. I'm out $180 on some tickets I bought as a lowly MVP because the change fee is $125/person on those tickets so it makes no sense to try to "save" the ticket value on them.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
4RT = 20000 miles. If you could do 4 TCON RT in 3 month I think there's no problem to make MVPG by end-of-year anyway...
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by killrosejelly
I have an LAX-SFO-BWI and BWI-LAX booked. I called to see if it would count as a RT and they said the SFO-BWI and BWI-LAX would count as a RT, if that helps.

I have 3 transcon RTs to eligible cities already booked for work which were reimbursed, so basically I need 1 qualifying RT to earn MVPG. I can do LAX-BOS-LAX in one day for $271, with $200 being credited back to be with my Amex Plat card, so out of pocket for me is $71. My MVP expires 12/2019. Upping to MVPG by May for the rest of the year is totally worth it for me, right? I can't see the downside, but I'm also pretty new to M&P.
No question about it.

Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
4RT = 20000 miles. If you could do 4 TCON RT in 3 month I think there's no problem to make MVPG by end-of-year anyway...
No one here would argue with that, this is a fast track option made even more appealing by the GGUs you'll receive (MVPG status) earlier than earning the status the traditional way as confirmed by AS Twitter.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by killrosejelly

​​​I'd do it too. But careful how you are booking so you do get credit from AMEX. I'd book OW travel and start with a cheaper (under $100) city pair, then utilize your one free change to what you want so the statement credit appears for "these fees for MVPG" .

Good luck ^
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mccafferyr
Anyone have any idea if trips originating in FLL to LAX/SFO would qualify? It's not clear from the email. LAX-FLL and SFO-FLL are clearly listed, but not the other way around. Per AS via Twitter, trips originating in FLL would not qualify. So I'm not sure why they targeted me....
The website very clearly lists FLL-SFO and FLL-LAX as qualifying, under "east coast departures"
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 7K, MARRIOTT PLAT PREMIER WITH AMBASSADOR
I registered for this one for my wife, she flys with me about a third of my flights so last year she made mvp but not gold. Since she only flys with me she always gets my mvp 75k benefits except for the free cancellation fee. Lol my wife has a bad habit of having me cancel her tickets last minute so the free cancellations would be great. However I’m wondering if it’s worth it for me to spend $2k on us flying to the east coast for no reason so I can save maybe $800 on the flights she will probably cancel this year - any opinions on that does anyone have a price metric of the benefits outside of the free cancellations that can make it worth while for me to do that?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 7K, MARRIOTT PLAT PREMIER WITH AMBASSADOR
Originally Posted by muaddib89
Quick back of the napkin calculation to evaluate this in terms of $/mi (like a mileage run): Suppose you did for 4 weekends in a row the SFO->EWR Friday night redeye, coming back to SFO on Saturday afternoon. According to Google Flights for the next four weekends this itinerary costs $435, $405, $452, and $503, for a total of $1795. At the end of it you're awarded MVPG status, which is the equivalent of 40000 EQM (the amount you have to fly on AS metal to get Gold). So that comes out to $0.0448/mi, which isn't bad but also not amazing.

EDIT:
Looked at more routes on different dates, and came up with the following:
April 5-6: SFO <-> PHL, $311
April 26-27: SFO <-> RDU, $211
May 3-4: SFO <-> RDU, $211
May 10-11: SFO <-> JFK, $231

Thats a total of only $964, for a whopping $0.0241/mi!
are those fares that you’re quoting saver fares I don’t see those rates? I’m getting $119 or $129 each way on SFO to RDU
muaddib89 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The website very clearly lists FLL-SFO and FLL-LAX as qualifying, under "east coast departures"
They must have realized the error and added it. A friend (no status) and I have upcoming r/t LAX/FLL within the timing for this promo and looking at the list of cities, we realized he'd be one segment short because FLL as an origin wasn't included. It appears it was an error so this is good news!
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: Free agent; tend to fly DL and UA most
Ah good point, you're right! Those are indeed saver fares. Google Flights doesn't do a great job of surfacing whether a given fare is basic economy or not. I had to click through to AS's website to see that they were X fares.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by StephanP37

are those fares that you’re quoting saver fares I don’t see those rates? I’m getting $119 or $129 each way on SFO to RDU
that woukd add about an extra $250-$300 for all RT flights

the benefit of this promo us you are going to travel thus routes.

4 XC trips woukd get you close to MVP status on 2020 on their own.

if you do it right yiu can get MVP with 3.5 XC flightsand go,d with7. The ideal route is if you do something roughly like east-SEA-PDX-LAX-east.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I honestly don't see the value in this promo.

You have to fly 1/2 the miles in 1/4 of a year.
The status is good only til the end of this year (not til the end of next year)
You are restricted to earning the miles on specific routes only

This is worse than a "status match" type offer, where generally you have to fly 1/4 of the miles in 1/4 of the year, and can fly any routes that you want.

Honestly this just looks like something that marketing has thrown together that looks like a much better deal than it actually is.

In a few limited cases (if you are switching to AS, are not eligible for a status match, and fly a lot of transcon anyway) it would get you to your status a little faster, but for most people it doesn't look like a very good deal. I would certainly not alter my travel plans to get this. This is a MUCH harder way to get status than the "normal" way. 4 transcon RTs in 3 months is on pace for 75k.
milypan and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by muaddib89
Ah good point, you're right! Those are indeed saver fares. Google Flights doesn't do a great job of surfacing whether a given fare is basic economy or not. I had to click through to AS's website to see that they were X fares.
There's actually not a huge downside to X fares if you're not elite, especially if you have the credit card.
muaddib89 likes this.

Last edited by milypan; Mar 6, 2019 at 11:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.