Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Bag fees on American flight using award miles & Alaska CC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Looking to get some tickets LAX-DFW, and I see that I can use Alaska miles to obtain an American ticket, which is great since they are the top carrier and I have loads of Alaska miles. I also have an Alaska CC. If I purchase the ticket on Alaska using Mileage Plan miles and my Alaska BofA card, will I get free checked baggage?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jakers3200
Looking to get some tickets LAX-DFW, and I see that I can use Alaska miles to obtain an American ticket, which is great since they are the top carrier and I have loads of Alaska miles. I also have an Alaska CC. If I purchase the ticket on Alaska using Mileage Plan miles and my Alaska BofA card, will I get free checked baggage?
EDIT: never mind, didn't notice the AA part.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jakers3200
No.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...visa-signature

Free checked bag on Alaska flights
(emphasis added)

Nobody at American is going to care that you have an Alaska credit card. The people who matter are the ones who are flying your plane with the luggage on it.
jinglish likes this.

Programs: Alaska 100k
Unfortunately, no. The bag rules of the first operating carrier apply to domestic flights. AA doesn't provide a bag waiver for those who carry the AS visa.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. A bit of a bummer, but good to know. One-way flights on Alaska are double the points as American, so even paying for bags American seems the better option.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sturges
Unfortunately, no. The bag rules of the first operating carrier apply to domestic flights. AA doesn't provide a bag waiver for those who carry the AS visa.
It does not matter here, but your answer is incorrect.

US law since 2011 has required that the baggage allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment applies. However, that law does not apply to waivers for status, credit cards and the like.

Thus, on an AS-marketed ticket, OP gets the AS allowance, but not the AS waiver unless AA chooses to grant it (which it does not).

Again, not relevant to this particular set of facts, but for planning elsewhere, it can matter.
jakers3200 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by Often1
It does not matter here, but your answer is incorrect.

US law since 2011 has required that the baggage allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment applies. However, that law does not apply to waivers for status, credit cards and the like.

Thus, on an AS-marketed ticket, OP gets the AS allowance, but not the AS waiver unless AA chooses to grant it (which it does not).

Again, not relevant to this particular set of facts, but for planning elsewhere, it can matter.
ahh, interesting. I didn't realize it was marketing carrier.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:56 pm

At one time (first hand experience) you got "prefered" on AA when booking using alaska miles. This meant no bag fees! Huge YMMV/not sure if it's still true.
jakers3200 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by maniac78
At one time (first hand experience) you got "prefered" on AA when booking using alaska miles. This meant no bag fees! Huge YMMV/not sure if it's still true.
Not for years, the partnership was downgraded. Though if you book F with Alaska miles you get extra baggage (even if it's initial segment Y, next segment F).
jakers3200 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.