Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska's policy on flights departing EARLIER than the scheduled time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska's policy on flights departing EARLIER than the scheduled time?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by AS737
I'm not sure if your experience was Alaska, Horizon, or Skywest, but Alaska mainline flights are not allowed to post more than a 5 minute early ETD, as anything more than that would no longer be compliant with the flight attendant contract
Interesting. I also have had AS mainline flights where I was sent alerts 2 hrs out to leave 30 minutes early. Mostly for WX issues on several occasions. I guess they broke the contract.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
I'd be almost certain that had you not seen, or simply ignored the time change notification, and turned up at the gate at the last permissible minute for the scheduled 8.30am flight, they would be waiting there for you. I imagine, if the load is very light, they hope asking people to come early so they can leave early will work but would be fully prepared to wait until the scheduled departure time if someone didn't see the notification. There are many situations e.g. where someone could be driving from far away to arrive at the airport at 7.30am to make the 8.30am flight. I can see no situation where Alaska would be allowed to blame the customer for this. Recommending people arrive at the airport 2 hours before the flight is not the same as requiring.

And even if the above was not true, I am 100% sure they would rebook you at their expense an compensate you if they did leave without you in those circumstances.

I would not have rushed for this flight in your position as I do not think it is fair to do this to a customer last minute. Unless there was an impending hurricane or some other situation out of Alaska's control ofc.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:42 am

This happened to me last September on a LAX-SEA flight, but I never even received official notification. My app had an alert that boarding had started ridiculously early. Then they made an announcement in the lounge that this flight was departing early and it was final call for boarding, so we abandoned our bloody marys and went to the gate (fortunately next door) and were two of last people on the plane. We sat for several minutes after boarding and I think we ended up pushing back ~20 minutes early. They said it was because of the runway construction in Seattle, so they had to jump on a landing slot when they could get it. And it was not a light load. Kind of annoying, but also understandable because I know how runway closures cause delays that just worsen throughout the day. I do hope they put anyone that may have missed it on another flight without any grief, though.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by icelandman2
Never seen this - I usually arrive to the airport 45-60 mins before, and flew on about 50 AS flights last year.
Same. I've had >1000 flights since 2007 and this was a first for me too.

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I've had this happen to me twice. Once, in Juneau - can't remember the reason, was a milkrun flight and something about duty times for the crews. So we left about 25 minutes early (was posted as a "delay", though).

2nd time involved an approaching hurricane. That one was an hour early.
Weather I can understand. This was in Juneau as well, but it was just for JNU-SEA, AS66 (last flight of the night). There should have been no duty restrictions at play, unless the crew working our plane had last minute changed from another scheduled line.

Originally Posted by dayone
I had it happen once. Departure moved up 30 minutes and I, too, received the "update" two hours before the original scheduled departure.

No explanation. It was a very light load.
Yep, very light for us too. The gate agent was actually asking over the intercom for anyone with a birthday or anniversary or anything special since she had 3 open F seats.

I've emailed Customer Care to ask for an explanation. For us, the frustration came from the fact that I've taken this flight at least monthly for the past year and we have a regular schedule of having dinner right before going to the airport, so that was hurried and I had to actually leave early before we were done eating.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Same. I've had >1000 flights since 2007 and this was a first for me too.

Weather I can understand. This was in Juneau as well, but it was just for JNU-SEA, AS66 (last flight of the night). There should have been no duty restrictions at play, unless the crew working our plane had last minute changed from another scheduled line.

Yep, very light for us too. The gate agent was actually asking over the intercom for anyone with a birthday or anniversary or anything special since she had 3 open F seats.

I've emailed Customer Care to ask for an explanation. For us, the frustration came from the fact that I've taken this flight at least monthly for the past year and we have a regular schedule of having dinner right before going to the airport, so that was hurried and I had to actually leave early before we were done eating.
It looks like there is a lot of schedule padding for AS 66 in JNU (75 min scheduled on the ground). Assuming it was 2/27, AS 66 does show 24 minutes early leaving JNU...
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Legend717
HA, lucky you guys.
In my experience, Alaska lately boards at T-55 minutes, and then sits at the gate until 5-10 after departure time.
Meaning my posterior has been in their interior for an hour before we even push back.
It's actually one of my biggest gripes about Alaska, having moved from United.
And I'm happy with that; if my biggest gripe is that they board too early..... then clearly life ain't that bad!
at 20 min before my last flight they were calling final call door closes in 2 min, only to sit there a few min past departure time.
tusphotog likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Legend717
HA, lucky you guys.
In my experience, Alaska lately boards at T-55 minutes, and then sits at the gate until 5-10 after departure time.
Meaning my posterior has been in their interior for an hour before we even push back.
It's actually one of my biggest gripes about Alaska, having moved from United.
And I'm happy with that; if my biggest gripe is that they board too early..... then clearly life ain't that bad!
HA! That's what they did in Phoenix last summer, boarded way early and let us sit in a overly warm plane (120 outside, can't really keep fully loaded plane cool) for 25 minutes until the exact departure time though nobody else boarded the plane.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Heard back from Alaska Customer Care shortly after contacting, but forgot to provide an update here.

Here's the response, emphasis added
I am sorry to hear that your flight's departure time was advanced, and how this affected your plans. When you made arrangements to travel with us you had every reason to expect that we would depart at your the published departure time. Clearly, that did not happen and I regret that your flight was changed due to inclement weather that was moving into the Juneau area. While we will continue to strive for the highest levels of operational excellence and reliability as an airline, we will never compromise your welfare or the trust you place in us for the sake of reliability statistics. I appreciate your understanding of our steadfast commitment to your safety.

I apologize for the short notice of this change, and understand how frustrating this experience was for you. Unfortunately when a departure time is changed as it was in this case our notification system will still follow the normal notification timeline for a standard departure. I am sorry that your boarding notification was incorrect. Please know that your feedback has been shared with our mobile support team for further review.
There was no inclement weather. I'm letting it go though...
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG
While I can’t recall any early departure notices texted to me, I have had several late departure texts. Since most of these notifications were received at home, I felt sorry for those not receiving notifications having to sit at the airport an extra hour. One notable text announced something like a 90 minute delay. Later, it went to 60 minutes and ended up leaving near the original scheduled time, so technically it became an early departure. While not announced, Ketchikan is known for early departures. Flights routinely depart 10-20 minutes early. I think the main reason is if you miss the ferry, they won’t delay the flight for the next one.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
My flights tend to leave on-time with early boarding, if the plane is already there. For example, last summer in PHX, we boarded at T-45 and sat on a warm plane with insufficient A/C until the exact scheduled departure time. Why didn't we just board at T-30 in this case? I have no idea, but AS is all over the place.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Wed 24 Apr, AS436 SEA-SAN

through most of the day our 1850 departure was showing on time; when we left the lounge ~1820 I noticed that the board was showing 1906

the GA called Group A just as we got to the gate; 13 of the other 14 F seats were occupied when we got on board ... actual departure time was 1857

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.