Wiki Posts
Search

No flights from SF Bay to Houston?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP
No flights from SF Bay to Houston?

Got an upcoming trip from the SF Bay to Houston but can't seem to find any decent flights. Trying to stick with AS so I can millk the points. Has anyone done a decent flight for this route on AS?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Fly to AUS and drive?

Not very convenient, but you can stop at Franklin
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

I actually have to be in Beaumont, from AUS to there is a 4 hour drive. Not gonna be fun
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
Got an upcoming trip from the SF Bay to Houston but can't seem to find any decent flights. Trying to stick with AS so I can millk the points. Has anyone done a decent flight for this route on AS?
Nope, it’s totally infeasible. On the way there you need to fly through SEA...and on the way back you need to fly through SEA with an overnight stop, unless you’re willing to take an a** early flight from IAH.

If you really want to earn the AS miles (which doesn’t sound at all worth it in this case) you might try booking one ticket to LAX and another ticket from LAX to IAH on an AS-marketed, AA-operated flight. But keep in mind you’re not protected in the event of a misconnect.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:14 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

SFO/SJC-DAL and then WN to HOU?
hsum likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Feb 26, 2019 at 10:31 pm Reason: Add SJC option.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
SFO-DAL and then WN to HOU?
sorry but what's WN?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
sorry but what's WN?
Southwest’s IATA code, just like AS stands for Alaska according to IATA.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
What do AS flyers in the Bay Area keep as a backup airline for situations like this? Southwest? United?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by u2g0d
What do AS flyers in the Bay Area keep as a backup airline for situations like this? Southwest? United?
Whatever airline offers the best combination of flight times and price for the destination in question?

Regarding flying through LAX or DAL, since it’s “only” a ~4 hour drive from AUS, MSY, or DAL to Beaumont, I don’t think the connecting itineraries make much sense here, especially with extra padding for the unprotected connection. Bottom line is there are many, many areas of the country to which it doesn’t make any sense to fly AS ex-SFO/SJC, and this is one of them.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Tough route to compete on with United... 8 nonstops today, one of them on a 787
icelandman2 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:54 am
Original Poster

This kinda suck, any AS partners that do this route? I can even fly into AUS if need be to make this work. I'll have to be in Galveston so it's a little closer than originally expected.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
This kinda suck, any AS partners that do this route? I can even fly into AUS if need be to make this work. I'll have to be in Galveston so it's a little closer than originally expected.
Not any you'll get mileage for. AA is the only one, and that's only if you can plate it on a AS codeshare. As an AS MVP, you'll gain 4,500 RDM and 3,000 EQM by flying AS into AUS. Is that really worth the drive?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:59 am
Original Poster

I'll have to forecast what my travel is like for this year. that drive might be worth eliminating a mileage run.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:08 am

I'll have to forecast what my travel is like for this year. that drive might be worth eliminating a mileage run.
No offense, but if you're mileage running to get to MVP, how much value could you possibly be getting out of the program on flights you actually need to take? This sounds like a case of the tail wagging the dog, even by FT standards...
jinglish and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milypan
No offense, but if you're mileage running to get to MVP, how much value could you possibly be getting out of the program on flights you actually need to take? This sounds like a case of the tail wagging the dog, even by FT standards...
Over the 10 years, I've had to do 1 mileage run. But to answer your question, for me, it's totally worth it since all of my usual routes allows F upgrades. Just for that it's worth the one run for a whole year of F seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.