Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Getting drinks from the galley between drink service

Getting drinks from the galley between drink service

Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Arrow

Originally Posted by Often1
Even though FA's have downtime during TCON's, there is always one on duty. Presuming that they aren't tending to someone having a heart attack or something like that, this is a standard service request. If a lot of people are wandering the aisles looking to hydrate, that is a sign that it is time to make pass through the aisle.
on a flight last year with a VX crew a medical emergency kept the crew busy for
a hour or so on the flight
you wouldnt believe how many passengers
A were upset that they werent getting a second drink service
B trying to walk back to rear lavatory to use bathroom
when the mid cabin lav A 321 was available and told there is a emergency in the aisle
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by boycruz
on a flight last year with a VX crew a medical emergency kept the crew busy for
a hour or so on the flight
you wouldnt believe how many passengers
A were upset that they werent getting a second drink service
B trying to walk back to rear lavatory to use bathroom
when the mid cabin lav A 321 was available and told there is a emergency in the aisle
What does this have to do with a lazy FA not wanting to just hand over a drink on request in the galley? It's their job to do so.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by dhuey

Exactly what Ive done, on occasion. Youre asking for a favor. Smile, be super nice, and apologize for interrupting the FA. They have total discretion to say yes or no. Make them want to say yes.
See I don't think they are doing you a favor. I think they're doing their job. Sure you should always be pleasant but I do not think that is a prerequisite to obtaining a drink from the galley .
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
responding to this
What does this have to do with a lazy FA not wanting to just hand over a drink on request in the galley? It's their job to do so."Presuming that they aren't tending to someone having a heart attack or something like that, this is a standard service request. "

Last edited by boycruz; Feb 26, 2019 at 11:44 pm Reason: ok
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:30 am
Suspended

They days of proper customer service in air travel are long gone. American carriers need to adopt the Asian style of customer service..that is, jump to it and please the customer, get them what they want, never be critical or snarky, or get fired if you are.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:42 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
I was on a transcon in Premium a few months ago and only 2 drink services were offered. Pretty annoying.
Complained on Alaska Listens and received an apology and discount code. Nice gesture, I didnt expect them to respond.
Didnt even occur to me to go back and ask for a drink in the galley...but in retrospect I should have, so thanks for posting this thread.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
Is it ok to press call button for a drink between drink service?

I've read in various places that FAs are annoyed somewhat if you press the call button unless it's an emergency or quite important. I've seen entire articles written on call button etiquette. 25 years ago I had no problem pressing that button to get a drink; but, given comments that I've read recently from FAs or from travel bloggers like "One Mile at a Time", it seems like social norms have changed. Is it ok to punch the call button to ask for a drink? Perhaps maybe if you are stuck in a window or middle seat? What do people here think?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
I've read in various places that FAs are annoyed somewhat if you press the call button unless it's an emergency or quite important. I've seen entire articles written on call button etiquette. 25 years ago I had no problem pressing that button to get a drink; but, given comments that I've read recently from FAs or from travel bloggers like "One Mile at a Time", it seems like social norms have changed. Is it ok to punch the call button to ask for a drink? Perhaps maybe if you are stuck in a window or middle seat? What do people here think?
Personally, if I'm in a window seat, this what I do. I'm never denied and I don't really care how they perceive it; social norms or not it's part of their job. If I'm in an aisle, I meander to the back and just ask. Also never a problem.

YMMV, but I suspect that we're over thinking this very simple issue here...
williwaw likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I go back all the time when in the main cabin/premium to drain and get a refill.

As for call buttons- I generally don't push them unless there's a critical need. Even when in Premium Intercontinental products. I'd rather flag a FA down, or walk up and ask. But this has left me yearning for some water, tea, or other beverage. So I'm not sure its the best practice.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Well, to me it is a yes and no type of situation. I personally do not like pushing the button just for a drink as they may be attending to someone and leave them to answer my summons. Every time I hear a chime, all the FAs seem to look down the aisle to see whose button it is and usually they go there fairly quickly. That being said, if there were no FAs to be seen perhaps that is when I might consider pushing a button. However, as I said before, I am just as happy to go to the back, ask for a drink and use the facilities and pick the drink up on the way back. Luckily, I have been getting my upgrades to First, so not much of a problem for me currently,heh, heh.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether you choose to walk back to the galley or push the call button is 100% up to you.

Conversely, I don't think that complaining to AS about how many drinks runs there are is appropriate, unless you asked for an were denied a drink. If you want 3-4 drinks during the course of a flight, ask for them.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Often1
If you want 3-4 drinks during the course of a flight, ask for
Doubles.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do this regularly. I've never had a problem.

If it's easy to get a FA's attention I will flag one down but if not I'll just push the button. I don't see what the big deal is. It's no different than flagging them down when they walk by -- you're just getting their attention so you can ask for something.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
Well, to me it is a yes and no type of situation. I personally do not like pushing the button just for a drink as they may be attending to someone and leave them to answer my summons. Every time I hear a chime, all the FAs seem to look down the aisle to see whose button it is and usually they go there fairly quickly. That being said, if there were no FAs to be seen perhaps that is when I might consider pushing a button. However, as I said before, I am just as happy to go to the back, ask for a drink and use the facilities and pick the drink up on the way back. Luckily, I have been getting my upgrades to First, so not much of a problem for me currently,heh, heh.
I have used the button in F as well. As recently as this past Friday I was flying F to Hawaii from SFO on UA and I the cabin lights were off after dinner and some people were sleeping (I was playing video games). I wanted a cup of tea and the FAs were in the galley, so I pushed the button. An FA came out, I asked for a cup of tea, she brought it, and I thanked her. Pretty normal stuff, I think. Everyone was friendly and no one seemed upset in the slightest.

I think that some people are overly sensitive about this sort of thing. Just be polite (as you hopefully would be in any other situation) and there really shouldn't be a problem.
pbelmore likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:00 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by dayone
Doubles.
Correct, but what if you want 3-4 doubles?
UAPremierExec likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.