Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Getting drinks from the galley between drink service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:22 am
Original Poster

The other day I was on a transcon Alaska flight in "premium" and went to the galley between drink services to ask for a coffee and was told "just wait, we'll do another drink service later." (Which they did.... an hour later.)

I've never thought of this limited to 'services' but is that really a thing?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by bkojote
The other day I was on a transcon Alaska flight in "premium" and went to the galley between drink services to ask for a coffee and was told "just wait, we'll do another drink service later." (Which they did.... an hour later.)

Have definitely done this before in premium and standard main cabin seating and have always been served. I find being apologetic in terms of interrupting and gracious for serving outside of the standard cart service with big smiles to be effective in getting the refill. If they're busy working on something else, they can/may say no, though.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:27 am

Out of curiosity, how many drink services did they do on the flight? I feel like it is not unreasonable to go the galley or ring the call button to request a refill in premium.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium

I would write in your concerns to Alaska Listens to see if this is truly a thing or a "bare minimum only" crew that can't be bothered to provide customer service. :-:
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
I have had varied experiences with this in Premium. There has been a couple of times on a trancons or even flights near 3 hours in duration where the FA came by to check on drinks specifically in premium prior to the second service. Other times I have gone to the back between services and have asked (politely) for a drink and was happily served. Sounds like the OP had a FA on a bad day. What bothers me (a little, as these are first world problems) is in First where a passenger will engage a FA to the point where I have to wave to get their attention. Now, this is a FA as well as a passenger issue and luckily, for me, it has not happened often.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just push the button. That's what it's there for.

Going up to the galley has always seemed strange to me (I've never done it) but I guess a lot of people do it. At least when you push the button you know that when they come to your seat they are ready to handle your request (if you interrupt them in the galley they may be in the middle of something else)
SFO777 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I just push the button. That's what it's there for.

Going up to the galley has always seemed strange to me (I've never done it) but I guess a lot of people do it. At least when you push the button you know that when they come to your seat they are ready to handle your request (if you interrupt them in the galley they may be in the middle of something else)
But then they have to walk all the way back to get the drink. Yes, it’s part of their job. But I usually use the opportunity to stretch my legs or go to the lav and then get a drink (usually coffee) from the galley. I have never been denied. Sometimes they don’t have coffee ready to serve, in which case they deliver it shortly afterwards. I have never been denied the drink, though, on any airline, no matter what seat I was in.
JacksonFlyer and NYC Flyer like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:49 am

I wonder if this is specific to requesting coffee between service. I am guessing that a request for something readily available (soda, water, juice) would have been given. Not being a coffee drinker, so I don't know the process. Maybe there was no coffee available and they didn't want to make a pot for a single cup and then need to throw it out to make a new pot for the following service.

Last edited by arles; Feb 26, 2019 at 11:50 am Reason: what they said...
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would definitely send a note to AS. Even if they have to make a pot for one person, that is not unreasonable.

I know that some crews will ask you to return to your seat in the case of a hot drink and that is entirely reasonable, but that is not what happened to you.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, United MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I was on a mid-con flight in PC yesterday where a guy went to the back three times in between regular services and got alcoholic drinks for himself and 2 companions also in PC.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:06 pm

A) Send a note to Alaska - it shouldn't be a problem to just hand over a cup of coffee
B) going to the galley to get a drink in between carts is perfectly normal and acceptable. You can also ring your call button if you'd rather. FA's ARE there for safety primarily, but service is a HUGE function of the job. Safety first always, but service is a close second.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd

Out of curiosity, how many drink services did they do on the flight? I feel like it is not unreasonable to go the galley or ring the call button to request a refill in premium.
There were 2 services and an additional water service.

This was about an hour after the first service and an hour before the second. I was back in the galley having used the lav, so figured I'd ask before my way back while I was already back there. This particular FA was on her phone, though the rest seemed pretty on point throughout the flight.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
It has been my infrequent experience that providing service in the galley area is routine and a common expectation. That is across the non-discount airlines when the flight attendants aren't too busy doing something else. So, I would like to presume this was just one of those moments that didn't work out. I hope it is not a shift in standard practices.

Although, the reductions in flight services including the promptness and frequency of beverage and snack service has me a bit skeptical.

I'll wait to see what the airline's reply is about this one. To find out is this a simple anomaly in service or is this someone's new discovery that reduces work for flight attendants AND saves money on food costs? (Hey boss, I have an idea...)
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even though FA's have downtime during TCON's, there is always one on duty. Presuming that they aren't tending to someone having a heart attack or something like that, this is a standard service request. If a lot of people are wandering the aisles looking to hydrate, that is a sign that it is time to make pass through the aisle.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Have definitely done this before in premium and standard main cabin seating and have always been served. I find being apologetic in terms of interrupting and gracious for serving outside of the standard cart service with big smiles to be effective in getting the refill. If they're busy working on something else, they can/may say no, though.
Exactly what I’ve done, on occasion. You’re asking for a favor. Smile, be super nice, and apologize for interrupting the FA. They have total discretion to say yes or no. Make them want to say yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.