FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   A Cross-Fleeting Observation (Boeing vs. Airbus, pmAS FAs experience) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1957841-cross-fleeting-observation-boeing-vs-airbus-pmas-fas-experience.html)

ctporter Feb 24, 2019 11:35 pm

I flew on an airbus in FC with a pmVX crew for two legs of a trip FFL SFO and SFO SEA, each leg could not have been more opposite in terms of the level of service and professionalism. I have also flown on an airbus with an AS crew recently trained on the airbus series. Two of those three trips were awesome, very much the AS experience I expect. Also this year, I have flow 8 RTs on the E75s and been upgraded on all of them so I noticed how the QX FAs dealt with a FC cabin instead of the all one class Q400s. This just shows me that it will take time and a lot more flights to have everyone "settled" and familiar with the aircraft they will be working.

tusphotog Feb 25, 2019 9:11 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30817391)
[...] but I would have serious questions about whether they know how to open the emergency exits or operate the other safety-critical features of the plane.

Raising a stuck seat is quite a bit different than knowing you lift a handle and push to open an A320 door. In fact, the PMVX crews will likely have more trouble on the Boeing equipment because of the antiquated girt bar. Over under on when someone will forget and blow a slide?

The PMAS crews will have a lot of fun with controlling the cabin temperature and the Boeing pilots will be flooded with complaints from PMVX crews about cabin temps. :p

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson (Post 30817156)
Even several years or more after the United-Continental merger, there was still discussion in the UA forum about "exCO" crews and "exCO" planes. I guess we're in for several years of that in the AS forum!

Where have you been? We've had this "PMVX" and "PMAS" crew thing on here since the merger happened. They've just been stuck on their own pre-merger equipment.

MJMLBBtoCPH Feb 26, 2019 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 30815122)
Clearly this is a fantastic generalization on a data point of one. ;) Unless you attended the training and remembered 100% of the materials covered two weeks later when implementing the training live for the first time, I will politely dismiss your statement as speculation.

I had a mixed crew on an airbus from LAS to PDX last week, and the pmAS flight attendant was having trouble finding stuff in the galley (food, chocolates, etc) and kept having to come back and ask the pmVX FA where things were located. She finally just left her cart and went back to show him. I later talked to him briefly in the Galley and he said it was his first time on the airbus, and that he knew how to operate the emergency exits and safety stuff but was still familiarizing himself with where things are kept in the Galley.