Can I add a passenger to my reservation?

Old Feb 22, 19, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Can I add a passenger to my reservation?

I bought a ticket for Alaska flight; I also have their Visa credit card that gives free checked bag for me and "up to 6 other passengers traveling in the same reservation". Now if I buy a ticket for my friend to travel with me on the same flight - is there any way to add him to my reservation so that he could take advantage of a baggage fee waiver?
Old Feb 22, 19, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
no

you would have to cancel your existing reservation and book another one for two passengers ... that’s what “in the same reservation” means
Old Feb 22, 19, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
If you are still within 24 hrs of booking your own ticket, you should be able to cancel and rebook without fees. Or if you are MVPG or higher, you can also cancel without penalty.
Old Feb 22, 19, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
If you are still within 24 hrs of booking your own ticket, you should be able to cancel and rebook without fees. Or if you are MVPG or higher, you can also cancel without penalty.
Almost certainly not an MVP, Gold or otherwise; if they were, the credit card bag fee waiver would be irrelevant, and the OP would get two bags anyway.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Linking PNR's will not work. Cancel and rebook. Or just sign them up for the Visa- referring them for extra mile$
Old Feb 27, 19, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies! Unfortunately I can't cancel and rebook because it was a booking with my Companion Pass which is not valid anymore :/
Old Feb 27, 19, 10:59 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by vnau View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies! Unfortunately I can't cancel and rebook because it was a booking with my Companion Pass which is not valid anymore :/
OK. So you were hoping to add a third passenger to the reservation? Unfortunately, that wouldn't be possible anyway. A reservation ticketed using a companion pass must have precisely two passengers in it; no more, no less.
Old Feb 27, 19, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill View Post
A reservation ticketed using a companion pass must have precisely two passengers in it; no more, no less.
oh wow, I was not aware of that! Thanks for explaining
Old Feb 27, 19, 10:43 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP/Gold
If there was a chance that one of your six is not checking a bag, that person could check the bag for the new person. Or, if one of your six is a Gold or MVP, they get two bags.
Old Feb 27, 19, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

haha yes, I was thinking about these options! But unfortunately we are only three for this trip. One bag to pay - not a big deal actually.
Thanks again to all who gave info and advice!

Search this Thread