Search

GoGo internet on AS flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

GoGo internet on AS flight

Hi, I'm going to be flying SFO-PHL round trip in April. flight #'s are
Alaska 1138 (SFO-PHL) - Airbus Series and Alaska 1141 (PHL-SFO) - Airbus Series

I've never used internet inflight but want to this time to get some work done.

How do I know if they will offer GoGo internet?

Is there a risk in buying passes off ebay? (these are much cheaper than what I understand is the cost if you pay while on the plane).
take here for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pack-of-...e2f5%7Ciid%3A1

I also have an SFO-HNL flight on AS, but it says these will not work on those flights
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
There's always the risk that the wifi on that plane just won't be functioning that day, which happened to me once. But one risk of an AS Airbus flight is that a handful of those planes were delivered to VX with ViaSat wifi installed; if you're on one of those, which haven't had the system swapped out for Gogo 2Ku yet, your prepurchased Gogo pass will be useless.
AS737, jjmadison, T2A and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
737-900 Layout 2 Wifi?

Does the 737-900 (Layout 2, which has Premium Class) have GoGo 2ku? Usual UA flyer so rare AS trip.

Flying later, just wondering if I'm going to have UA like speeds or something workable...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by theboss7593
Does the 737-900 (Layout 2, which has Premium Class) have GoGo 2ku? Usual UA flyer so rare AS trip.

Flying later, just wondering if I'm going to have UA like speeds or something workable...
Only AS's most recent -900ER deliveries--I don't think any more than a handful.

EDIT: According to this page, it's up to eight of the seventy-eight in the fleet now.

Last edited by jinglish; Mar 14, 2019 at 12:35 pm
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Within 48 hours of your flight, you can look up the planned equipment with FlightRadar 24, then look at the list on Weebly to see if it's a 2Ku equipped bird (N288AK-N298AK). Otherwise, UA-like speeds are likely...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by DrAlex
Within 48 hours of your flight, you can look up the planned equipment with FlightRadar 24, then look at the list on Weebly to see if it's a 2Ku equipped bird (N288AK-N298AK). Otherwise, UA-like speeds are likely...
Nice link thanks, unfortunately it's not one of those...
DrAlex likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by kayexalate
Hi, I'm going to be flying SFO-PHL round trip in April. flight #'s are
Is there a risk in buying passes off ebay? (these are much cheaper than what I understand is the cost if you pay while on the plane).
take here for example:

Those are really great deals. Has anyone tried them before? How was the experience?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by scareya
Those are really great deals. Has anyone tried them before? How was the experience?
I bought them last month and they are working like a charm.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by DrAlex
The AS site now indicates 17 have it installed, more than that Weebly link indicates. But still the odds are low....
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...rtainment/wifi
DrAlex likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by williwaw
The AS site now indicates 17 have it installed, more than that Weebly link indicates. But still the odds are low....
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...rtainment/wifi
I'm not sure where that math comes from? I'd trust Weebly before the AS site..... There's 9 737-900ERs (including the brand new N214AK) + 3 A321s + N628VA (320) with 2Ku. Dunno. Technically, there are 15 more planes with ViaStat (10 320s, 5 321s), which is slower (but tolerable) satellite Wi-Fi.
williwaw likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Maybe the same system that counts planes with 2Ku is the system that produces the waitlist for upgrades.....
jjmadison, DrAlex and Manoa Chris like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If I were president of AS, the priority for 2Ku upgrades would be the 738 ETOPS used for Hawaii.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by dayone
If I were president of AS, the priority for 2Ku upgrades would be the 738 ETOPS used for Hawaii.
I believe the first ETOPS plane goes in for the upgrade this month
LIH Prem and williwaw like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by jjmadison
I bought them last month and they are working like a charm.
Can you still login? I bought one, was able to login, but when I tried to use it the account doesn’t exist anymore. I’ve reached out to the seller and may have some leverage since I didn’t leave feedback yet.

has anyone else tried this?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by scareya

Can you still login? I bought one, was able to login, but when I tried to use it the account doesn’t exist anymore. I’ve reached out to the seller and may have some leverage since I didn’t leave feedback yet.

has anyone else tried this?
yes, still working for me. Did you change your account password after the credits were applied? That’s the only way to ensure no shenanigans later on.

My seller reminded me to do that, which is smart for both buyer and seller—makes sure the seller cannot be blamed for any security issues later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.