Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS changes AA mileage plan credit page to exclude codeshares

Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:11 pm
_fx
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum

There have been several threads about receiving Mileage Plan credit when flying on partner airlines with different marketing/operating carriers. Many partner pages on alaskaair.com state the flight must be marketed *and* operated by the carrier to qualify. However, until veryrecently, the AA page did NOT carve out this exception. I took screenshot at the time: https://www.docdroid.net/q5W25ah/aa-as-partnership.pdf. It simply says that all international American flights qualify (and provides an earning tables).

They've since changed it to use the same language as the other pages to explicitly exclude codeshares.

Here is my question -- about a month ago, before AS changed the page, I bought an AA ticket ... all on JL metal. I read the AA page very carefully at the time, because I wanted to be sure I'd earn EQMs on AS. However, now it looks like my ticket is excluded and technically, I earn nothing. What do folks think is most likely:

1) AS gives nothing
2) AS credits according to the JL chart, but I'll have to request it manually
3) AS honors what they had originally posted when I bought the ticket, and credits according to the AA chart

I'm interested because if the answer is #1 , I might consider paying the change fee to rebook. Quite a few EQMs on the line.

I'm also curious if folks think it's worth contacting Mileage Plan ahead of time? Since the "official" answer is probably #1 , I'm a bit hesitant to do so.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by _fx
There have been several threads about receiving Mileage Plan credit when flying on partner airlines with different marketing/operating carriers. Many partner pages on alaskaair.com state the flight must be marketed *and* operated by the carrier to qualify. However, until veryrecently, the AA page did NOT carve out this exception. I took screenshot at the time: https://www.docdroid.net/q5W25ah/aa-as-partnership.pdf. It simply says that all international American flights qualify (and provides an earning tables).
The outlier nature of the AA partner terms has been brought up before, and I'd just assumed that it was an oversight when the page was being updated for the semi-divorce; looks like I may have been right. As you may have gleaned from the other partner codeshare discussions, it'll most likely be 2, though the terms do still say 1 and I wouldn't count on getting the credit.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jinglish
The outlier nature of the AA partner terms has been brought up before, and I'd just assumed that it was an oversight when the page was being updated for the semi-divorce; looks like I may have been right. As you may have gleaned from the other partner codeshare discussions, it'll most likely be 2, though the terms do still say 1 and I wouldn't count on getting the credit.
I think so too. Notice that on the OP's screen shot under Earning on American Airlines and before the Domestic Flights section it says "American-operated flights" not marketed flights. I don't believe there's a change here.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:28 pm

I'm not seeing this
"
  • You'll earn miles on domestic American Airlines flights with an Alaska Airlines (AS) flight number, and on all American marketed and operated international flights.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I'm not seeing this
"
  • You'll earn miles on domestic American Airlines flights with an Alaska Airlines (AS) flight number, and on all American marketed and operated international flights.
The most important stuff is still there though, it basically means the same thing.
For domestic flights
To earn Mileage Plan miles on flights within the United States and Puerto Rico, American-operated flights must be marketed by Alaska Airlines. This includes American Airlines operated flights purchased as Alaska Airlines flights (AS) 4000-4799, 6000-6999, 8001-8199, or 8201-8999.

Base miles and class of service bonuses earned are based on the Alaska Airlines earning chart.

View the Alaska Airlines earning chart.

Then for International AA it gives the chart. so that has not changed.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:51 pm

I mean, on AA marketed flights internationally you earn miles.
But if it is AA marketed on JL you usually have to submit, which means YMMV but most likely means you get credit. Particularly if you have status.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:41 pm

My experience is that you'll get JL credit if you submit.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
FWIW I called and asked about AA code share on JL metal - the rep said it credits based on the metal (eg JL rate)
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by estnet
FWIW I called and asked about AA code share on JL metal - the rep said it credits based on the metal (eg JL rate)
That is generally how codeshares are credited but will require a manual request after completing the flight(s). If you want something to fall back on I suggest texting them at 82008 rather than calling so you have record of the conversation should it be required later in an instance of "this what I was advised." Alternatively, you can email AS at [email protected] which will have a definitive answer and a reference number.

James on the Oceania Marina in Faa'a Tahiti.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
That is generally how codeshares are credited but will require a manual request after completing the flight(s). If you want something to fall back on I suggest texting them at 82008 rather than calling so you have record of the conversation should it be required later in an instance of "this what I was advised." Alternatively, you can email AS at [email protected] which will have a definitive answer and a reference number.

Thanks - always better to have it in writing
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:58 pm
_fx
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input (especially estnet for calling in). Feeling much less panicked. Slightly bummed the JL chart means half the EQM (booked into I, which is 150% on AA but only 70% on JL), but it's definitely better than 0%. And I am excited to try JL for the first time.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by _fx
Thanks everyone for the input (especially estnet for calling in). Feeling much less panicked. Slightly bummed the JL chart means half the EQM (booked into I, which is 150% on AA but only 70% on JL), but it's definitely better than 0%. And I am excited to try JL for the first time.
If you look in the first column it's 70% but there is a last column (forgot the label some kind of bonus) which says 100% so total 170% - I'll post when I get a response to my email - the bot response said 5-7 days.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:35 pm
_fx
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estnet
If you look in the first column it's 70% but there is a last column (forgot the label some kind of bonus) which says 100% so total 170% - I'll post when I get a response to my email - the bot response said 5-7 days.
The "additional bonus" only applies to RDMs, not EQMs. Base and class of service apply to both.

Appreciate you posting the follow-up when you get it.
estnet and TheDudeAbides like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

So I wrote to them and the answer I got referred me with a link to the partner page even tho I specifically asked about I fare on JL, then in a conversation with an agent I asked and was told something else so I replied to their email

"Thank you, however your chart shows I fare on Japan earns 70% base miles plus 100% bonus. I interpreted this as 70% counting toward status and mileage redemption and 100% counting toward redemption so total miles to redeem 170% mileage flown.
However when I spoke to one of your leads on the phone I was told that the 70% counts toward status, but only 100% counts for mileage redemption!
Can you clarify?"

Has anyone actually done this? My flight is sfo-kul about 8k miles each way, AA issued i* fare (JL metal) so AA tells me I'll get 35k, at 170 I'd get around 27k, but at 70 only 11k - all rt.

Last edited by estnet; Mar 1, 2019 at 5:25 pm
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:06 am
_fx
Original Poster

What the phone agent said makes no sense ... how is it "additional" or a "bonus" if it's not added to the base?

When I've flown AA I class in the past (on AA ticket/metal), I received 100%+50% for a total of 150% on both EQM and RDM, as you'd expect.

One takeaway here seems to be HUCA if you get your miles denied entirely, since there seems to be lots of variance on the messaging.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.