Wiki Posts
Search

MVP Gold - Charge for Exit Row Seating?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Marriott Platinum Elite
MVP Gold - Charge for Exit Row Seating?

As an MVP Gold I booked four flights last night for business travel. In each case the Alaska system both webpage & app ask me to pay for the Exit Row seat. To be clear I booked regular fares not Saver fares. Phoned the customer service line, and was told I simply need to phone them each time and they will correct? Really? Anyone have any insight?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Airbus or Boeing? The exit rows are Premium Class on the Airbus planes.
williwaw likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Two Airbus & Two E75
How would I have been aware of this?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
E75 doesn’t have exit rows; seat maps for A319/320/321 should show the exit row(s) as Premium Class (dark blue with white star)
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks jrl767
Yes, I was aware of both items you identified. My confusion comes from the customer service agent telling me it was an error and I should telephone each time I made a reservation.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:06 pm

Sounds like an IT issue.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:09 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Sounds like the agent was just confused, or was trying to resolve the situation quickly and agreeably in your favor. If you're on Airbus then jrl767 is correct that exit row is Premium so it's not always free (unless you purchased the right fare class).

That said -- *conspiracy hat on* -- AS did indicate in their latest investor release they were considering monetizing the exit rows. So *hopefully* this isn't some some pilot program or something.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wouldn't the easiest way to monetize boeing exit row seating be to just make them premium seats like they are on the airbus?

I have never understood why they are not premium. They are desirable seats so it makes sense to call them premium and include all the premium perks like VX did. My first choice is always row 6, but if a reclining exit row and row 7 were both premium, I'd take the reclining exit row as my 2nd choice every time.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:40 pm
_fx

I agree, it would be easy. Which is why as a non-75k, I hope they don’t do this.

One possible complication is it’s harder to generate a premium experience in the middle of the cabin surrounded by non-premium seats. It’s also harder to justify the minor negatives of the seats. For example, no recline in row 16, weird armrests in window seats, fixed ear flaps in all seats, etc.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by _fx
I agree, it would be easy. Which is why as a non-75k, I hope they don’t do this.

One possible complication is it’s harder to generate a premium experience in the middle of the cabin surrounded by non-premium seats. It’s also harder to justify the minor negatives of the seats. For example, no recline in row 16, weird armrests in window seats, fixed ear flaps in all seats, etc.
They already sell the non-reclining exit row seats on the Airbus planes as Premium, whereas Virgin America only sold rows 3 and 10 (bulkhead and reclining exit row) as Main Cabin Select.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Regardless, charging elites $45.00 for exit row seating seems steep.
91foxbody likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The more premium seats there are, and the more they charge for them, the better your chance of being able to move to one for free when your upgrade window opens.
be_rettSEA and jjmadison like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Gustav19
Regardless, charging elites $45.00 for exit row seating seems steep.
You mean they should have a sliding scale fee, based on your status?

I don't think any airline does it that way. And we all know Alaska IT is behind some other airlines'
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos

I don't think any airline does it that way. And we all know Alaska IT is behind some other airlines'
That's actually not a bad idea. In fare buckets that let MVPGs select a premium seat for free, they could offer it to MVPs for half price.

At least, it would have been a good idea last year when I was MVP. This year I'm MVPG so it's a terrible idea.
DrAlex, DaveH and jjmadison like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:25 am
_fx

Originally Posted by s0ssos

Pretty sure AA does this. Lower-tier elites can purchase premium or preferred seats at a discount (vs free for higher tiers).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.