No fresh food for a 4 hr flight :(

Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:35 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
No fresh food for a 4 hr flight :(

Uggggggggh. Alaska, why do you test my loyalty so?

4 hour flight out of MCI departing at 6am. Guess what? No fresh food available for purchase. That protein platter? Nope. Sunrise breakfast sandwich? Nah. Even though it clearly says on the menu "flights leaving 6am to 10am over 3 hours".

Yes, I know, bring my own food. Except MCI is probably the worst airport in the US to depart from and there is no food when your flight leaves at 6am.

Neil
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I would wonder if they have no catering arrangements out of MCI and just double-cater the xxx-MCI-xxx flights departing later in the day. I expect the early morning MCI-SEA/SAN flights sit overnight?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:38 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I would wonder if they have no catering arrangements out of MCI and just double-cater the xxx-MCI-xxx flights departing later in the day. I expect the early morning MCI-SEA/SAN flights sit overnight?
Almost certainly the case, and yes, the plane sat here overnight. Doesn't make me any happier about it. If Alaska's going to offer flights to/from a city and advertise meals on flights of a certain length they should find a way to provide it, especially when the airport is the craphole that is MCI.

Neil
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold 1MM (the unfriendly sky), Marriott Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz no longer
Yes, both flights (MCI-SEA, MCI-SAN) have their planes seating in MCI overnight. It might not be possible to double cater as the food would have to stay refrigerated overnight inside the plane.
I am flying to MCI and back this week, I'll update the forum with my own experience about MCI catering.

Catering failure has happened to me twice in the past couple years, both times were an early morning flight ~ 6AM out of RDU (my former base) to SFO, once with UA and once with pmVX (in the middle of AS IT merger). Both time they decided to leave on time without catering instead of waiting (great decision as lots of passengers had connections). By the way, AS apologized and provided compensation without asking while UA didn't even after making a formal complaint to the 1k voice service.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mike28
I am flying to MCI and back this week, I'll update the forum with my own experience about MCI catering.
Are you on the 6am return flight or the later one?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mike28
Yes, both flights (MCI-SEA, MCI-SAN) have their planes seating in MCI overnight. It might not be possible to double cater as the food would have to stay refrigerated overnight inside the plane.
Well, there is this thing called "dry ice", which does allow some airlines to cater certain foods at airports without catering facilities. Dry ice may not allow for the "normal" fresh meals, but they could come up with an alternative service.

That said, at a major airport like MCI, there are certainly catering options available. AS has chosen not to cater locally it seems.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Several carriers in addition to AS have aircraft that RON at MCI and then leave the next day on early morning trans-con departures to both coasts. In first class (on all that offer that cabin), a breakfast or continental breakfast is served on those routes. I would guess that the "breakfast" is double catered on the flight incoming from the night before and are left chilled/frozen (dry ice) in the carts on the plane overnight and might also consist of shelf stable ingredients, cereal, milk, fruit, pastries, etc. We have flown a very early morning DL service to LAX and the first class breakfast choices are typically cereal, shelf stable milk, pastry, banana, etc. or a warmed breakfast sandwich. We are on the early morning AS first class MCI-SAN for the first time in a few weeks and are expecting a cold breakfast option on the AS E175. So, if they can cater first class meals on aircraft that RON, they should be able to cater main cabin BOB menu options also.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The failure is in not notifying passengers. If AS lacks the logistical capability to properly cater its flights, it should not advertise availability or there should be a specific warning for the flights in question.

For what it is worth, MCI is a major airport with significant catering capability, including for early flights. What is in question is whether AS wishes to pay for the service.
bmvaughn likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:37 pm

Location: Seattle, WA & Red Lodge, MT (USA) and Cumbria, England
Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa
Well, there is this thing called "dry ice", which does allow some airlines to cater certain foods at airports without catering facilities. Dry ice may not allow for the "normal" fresh meals, but they could come up with an alternative service.
I flew ABQ-SEA on an early-ish (9am) flight a couple of weeks ago, and the FA mentioned the breakfast was different because there's no catering in ABQ, and everything comes on the flight from SEA the night before. They did have some refrigerated items on the tray, however. I'm not sure if they were packed in dry ice or stored in the airport somewhere, but the yogurt was frozen solid.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Red L
I flew ABQ-SEA on an early-ish (9am) flight a couple of weeks ago, and the FA mentioned the breakfast was different because there's no catering in ABQ, and everything comes on the flight from SEA the night before. They did have some refrigerated items on the tray, however. I'm not sure if they were packed in dry ice or stored in the airport somewhere, but the yogurt was frozen solid.
Definitely dry ice...
williwaw likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The failure is in not notifying passengers. If AS lacks the logistical capability to properly cater its flights, it should not advertise availability or there should be a specific warning for the flights in question.

For what it is worth, MCI is a major airport with significant catering capability, including for early flights. What is in question is whether AS wishes to pay for the service.
Which catering companies operate at MCI?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Which catering companies operate at MCI?
Doesn't LSG still operate there?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If we can believe FlightStats, AS had four flights from MCI today while Delta had 33 and AA had 27. Really, MCI has catering available. There were 12 flights across five carriers departing between 5:15 and 6:00am. I'm surprised nothing at the airport is open early to serve that traffic.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:54 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I'm surprised nothing at the airport is open early to serve that traffic.
Have you ever had the, ah, pleasure of flying out of MCI? It's a relic from the pre-9/11 era. The only food option at the Alaska gate (which it shares with a Delta gate) is a coffee cart that never opened before our flight left. Note that I'm talking about gates not terminals, as each set of gates (and by set I mean 2-5 gates) has its own security checkpoint.

I would write more about the qualities of MCI, but I fear I'll be banned by the mods for abusive language.

Neil
jjmadison, DrAlex, JeffP and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
The mess in the antiquated MCI should be solved by 2023 with its new 1.5B terminal. https://thepointsguy.com/news/kansas...lion-terminal/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.