Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Operations at Paine Field (PAE) - Inaugural Flight 3/4/2019

Operations at Paine Field (PAE) - Inaugural Flight 3/4/2019

Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
I called that Hilton Garden Inn a while back to see if they were planning on offering Park-n-Fly packages with shuttle service to PAE and they said no at that time. If that changes (has changed?) it would be a great option, especially for early flights.
Without going into details, we had a weird and disappointing stay at that property last fall, and it doesn't surprise me that they haven't considered a Park-n-Fly package. They didn't appear that well organized.

The airport's $20-per-day economy parking does seem a little steep.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globablist, Mlife Gold, Caesar's Diamond
Not only is the $20 parking a little steep but there is very limited space for the P4 lot. The lot was full this morning so....$30 it is.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by bosca418
Not only is the $20 parking a little steep but there is very limited space for the P4 lot. The lot was full this morning so....$30 it is.
Ouch!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:01 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tbau
Are there taxis on site?
I didn't see any on inaugural day.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:46 am

Any idea why Alaska has sent 2 A320s on SFO-PAE? https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/as9514

Interestingly one (Mar 4) was on the first day of PAE flights, but before SFO-PAE launched. The other (Mar 7) was about 1.5 hours after the first official SFO-PAE.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by jhurwitz
Any idea why Alaska has sent 2 A320s on SFO-PAE? https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/as9514

Interestingly one (Mar 4) was on the first day of PAE flights, but before SFO-PAE launched. The other (Mar 7) was about 1.5 hours after the first official SFO-PAE.
they do maintenance at PAE (engine overhauls), so it is likely unrelated.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
there was at least one at the hangar the morning of the inaugural
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:48 am

I did a round trip to LAX this weekend out of PAE. Airport is still lacking on some details but overall it's a great option. As another poster said, the economy lot is tiny and was jammed full. There was a parking attendant there who directed me to park illegally in the lot which I did (with misgivings but it was fine). On return I couldn't get my credit card to working and it was midnight. Pushing the help button did nothing. I was just about to remove bollards to drive out around the barrier to pick my family up in the terminal and see if I could pay up there when a parking attendant rolled up (with me clearly attempting to circumvent parking). Seems like this happened all the time though because he didn't bat an eyelid, checked the log and charged me less than he should have (I pointed out his error but he stuck to his guns).

Aside from the parking foibles (economy parking was not marked either, I only found it because I had looked at the parking map ahead of time), the airport was a fantastic experience. No lines, nice waiting area, friendly staff. Also small things like never a line up for take-off - as soon as you reach the runway you blast off and go. No 30 mile finals either so you save time there. For us, the drive to Seatac is almost exactly the same as PAE. We'll check prices for PAE for sure but for the time being you need to factor in either public transport or $30 a day parking as you will not be able to rely on the economy parking.
Fredd and missamo80 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:57 pm
BA

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Raymoland
I did a round trip to LAX this weekend out of PAE. Airport is still lacking on some details but overall it's a great option. As another poster said, the economy lot is tiny and was jammed full. There was a parking attendant there who directed me to park illegally in the lot which I did (with misgivings but it was fine). On return I couldn't get my credit card to working and it was midnight. Pushing the help button did nothing. I was just about to remove bollards to drive out around the barrier to pick my family up in the terminal and see if I could pay up there when a parking attendant rolled up (with me clearly attempting to circumvent parking). Seems like this happened all the time though because he didn't bat an eyelid, checked the log and charged me less than he should have (I pointed out his error but he stuck to his guns).

Aside from the parking foibles (economy parking was not marked either, I only found it because I had looked at the parking map ahead of time), the airport was a fantastic experience. No lines, nice waiting area, friendly staff. Also small things like never a line up for take-off - as soon as you reach the runway you blast off and go. No 30 mile finals either so you save time there. For us, the drive to Seatac is almost exactly the same as PAE. We'll check prices for PAE for sure but for the time being you need to factor in either public transport or $30 a day parking as you will not be able to rely on the economy parking.
Is there even a sidewalk/marked path from the economy lot to the terminal? I briefly swung by the area the day before the inaugural, and it didn't look like there was. They need to do some work in this area.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:00 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BA
Is there even a sidewalk/marked path from the economy lot to the terminal? I briefly swung by the area the day before the inaugural, and it didn't look like there was. They need to do some work in this area.
You just walk through the Premium lot. There's no real path.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:11 pm
BA

Originally Posted by missamo80
You just walk through the Premium lot. There's no real path.
You don't pass through the Premium lot on the way to the terminal when walking from the Economy lot.

Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: asMVPG
I'm sitting in the lounge area at PAE now. Nicer than any AS boardroom by a landslide!
PABE likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:30 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BA
You don't pass through the Premium lot on the way to the terminal when walking from the Economy lot.
Lol, my bad. On inaugural day they had the second small premium lot flagged as the economy lot. I assumed that was the economy lot going forward.

The economy lot being full is even worse then, since it's bigger than the lot I was thinking of...

Neil
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:17 pm
BA

Originally Posted by missamo80
Lol, my bad. On inaugural day they had the second small premium lot flagged as the economy lot. I assumed that was the economy lot going forward.

The economy lot being full is even worse then, since it's bigger than the lot I was thinking of...

Neil
This doesn't surprise me. On the Sunday before the inaugural, they hadn't installed any signage for the economy lot yet, just the premium lots. The only way you'd know its location is if you looked it up on the Paine Field Passenger Terminal website (at that diagram I posted) or just drove around trying to find it.

Last edited by BA; Mar 11, 2019 at 3:17 pm Reason: typos
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by BA

if we had given this some thought we could have banded together and just bought a nearby property to create our own flyer talk parking lot...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.