Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Airline Customer Satisfaction Index Results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya

AS bumps WN out of first place: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...ion-2019-04-30

Though the piece notes the role of the 737 MAX in customer perceptions - that seems like a weak reason to downgrade. But if the customer wants it, the customer gets it...
jinglish likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw
AS bumps WN out of first place: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...ion-2019-04-30

Though the piece notes the role of the 737 MAX in customer perceptions - that seems like a weak reason to downgrade. But if the customer wants it, the customer gets it...
I’m not sure I buy that argument. Depends on when the survey was conducted, since the grounding didn’t occur until mid-March. Also, I’m not sure the average survey respondent understands which carriers operate the MAX, given that AS claims they keep getting bombarded with passengers asking if their flight is on a MAX. One could also argue that all the snowstorm related cancellations and delays could have hurt Alaska’s scores for February, again depending on when the survey occurred.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
"The ACSI Travel Report 2018-2019 on airlines, hotels, and internet travel services is based on interviews with 12,873 customers, chosen at random and contacted via email between April 5, 2018, and March 27, 2019. Customers are asked to evaluate their recent experiences with the largest companies in these industries in terms of market share, plus an aggregate category consisting of “all other”—and thus smaller—companies.

The survey data are used as inputs to ACSI’s cause-and-effect econometric model, which estimates customer satisfaction as the result of the survey-measured inputs of customer expectations, perceptions of quality, and perceptions of value. The ACSI model, in turn, links customer satisfaction with the survey- measured outcomes of customer complaints and customer loyalty. ACSI clients receive confidential industry-competitive and best-in-class data on all modeled variables and customer experience benchmarks."
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
"The ACSI Travel Report 2018-2019 on airlines, hotels, and internet travel services is based on interviews with 12,873 customers, chosen at random and contacted via email between April 5, 2018, and March 27, 2019. Customers are asked to evaluate their recent experiences with the largest companies in these industries in terms of market share, plus an aggregate category consisting of “all other”—and thus smaller—companies.

The survey data are used as inputs to ACSI’s cause-and-effect econometric model, which estimates customer satisfaction as the result of the survey-measured inputs of customer expectations, perceptions of quality, and perceptions of value. The ACSI model, in turn, links customer satisfaction with the survey- measured outcomes of customer complaints and customer loyalty. ACSI clients receive confidential industry-competitive and best-in-class data on all modeled variables and customer experience benchmarks."
Thanks for finding that. So the MAX grounding would only have been relevant to the last two weeks of a year long survey period!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Thanks for finding that. So the MAX grounding would only have been relevant to the last two weeks of a year long survey period!
That's what I would assume, but they do mention it in the report.

"After leading a year ago, Southwest retreats 1% to 79, tied for second place with JetBlue (unchanged). Since 2012, the two airlines have taken the top spots in the ACSI ratings, joined by a steadily improving Alaska. Recent deadly crashes of the Boeing 737 Max (for Ethiopian Airlines and Air Lion) have left Southwest particularly vulnerable to safety concerns. It has more Boeing 737 Max models than any other airline. Approximately 9,400 Southwest flights were canceled the first quarter due to safety concerns and/ or bad weather."
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
That's what I would assume, but they do mention it in the report.

"After leading a year ago, Southwest retreats 1% to 79, tied for second place with JetBlue (unchanged). Since 2012, the two airlines have taken the top spots in the ACSI ratings, joined by a steadily improving Alaska. Recent deadly crashes of the Boeing 737 Max (for Ethiopian Airlines and Air Lion) have left Southwest particularly vulnerable to safety concerns. It has more Boeing 737 Max models than any other airline. Approximately 9,400 Southwest flights were canceled the first quarter due to safety concerns and/ or bad weather."
WN had a significant uptick in maintenance related cancellations starting in February which was a totally unrelated issue, but the grounding of the MAX fleet no doubt compounded those issues. And B6 has terrible on-time performance despite an otherwise great product. I could see a combination of those factors leading to AS (slightly) outperforming both WN and B6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.