Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

BA Award Tickets - Pick your seat, pay a fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond

Forgive me if others knew this, but it appears that as of late, if flying BA award tickets you now need to pay to select your seat in advance. I've never paid them in the past. We have a trip in June, trip home I booked 6 months ago in FC, outbound I booked 3 weeks ago in biz. Went to pick seats a week ago, and BA wants $180 per passenger to select biz seats in advance. The FC I had picked at the time with no fee. Called Alaska who had no idea about this policy. Unfortunately nothing they can do. She mentioned that BA just upped changed fees on them as well. So just realize that if you are redeeming on BA, it doesn't end with the fuel surcharges. :/
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
On BA even purchased tickets require extra fees to select a seat ahead of time. At 24 hours prior to departure (I think or 48), you can look and see your assignment and change it at that point. Not just with award tickets.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
Originally Posted by rune87
Went to pick seats a week ago, and BA wants $180 per passenger to select biz seats in advance. The FC I had picked at the time with no fee.
There's no charge to select F seats, there is for J. I don't believe this is anything new, although when I flew on a mixed itinerary F/J last October it was only $90 per passenger in J (which I didn't bother to pay).
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
BA has charged for advance J seat assignments for years. Doesn't make it any less of a travesty.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It’s not “as of late”, it’s been like this for years and years in J/Y+/Y (not F). Elites with sufficient status (BA or Oneworld) are exempted from the fees.
wrp96 and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Ive never flown BA in anything other than F award, so this was a new encounter for me. The Alaska rep had zero idea, even after consulting with a supervisor so I can only guess they dont encounter it too often. Its definitely a ridiculous fee, especially for J.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Ive never flown BA in anything other than F award, so this was a new encounter for me. The Alaska rep had zero idea, even after consulting with a supervisor so I can only guess they dont encounter it too often. Its definitely a ridiculous fee, especially for J.
You are correct, and this is a way that AS could arrange for more elite perks with BA, i.e., being able to pick a seat in advance.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It’s not “as of late”, it’s been like this for years and years in J/Y+/Y (not F). Elites with sufficient status (BA or Oneworld) are exempted from the fees.
And apparently tickets bought by certain corporate clients. One of my few business trips was on BA and I was surprised that I could pick a seat without paying for it. As I recall, I found some explanation either in the BA forum or on the BA site. Of course, that doesn't help with award tickets.
ijkh likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: AS
We have award travel also on BA next month.
Found that AS agents had no idea about a lot of BA policies. For example, transiting vs layover. Contributors here on FT had answers before AS award desk. (BA charges more if you stay over rather than just transiting .) We are doing a 1 week layover on the way home. Fees are substantial.
Found out same about seat. We have F award SEA - BCN. BA does not have F cabins on their European flights. So, SEA to LHR is in F and we were able to select seats. LHR to BCN is in Business and not able to select seat without fee. Found out they are regular coach seats with tray across middle seat. No extra pitch or recline for business class. We will wait until 24 hours before and just select then. We do not have status on BA , which does make a difference .

Last edited by pcoll; Feb 20, 2019 at 12:45 pm
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcoll
Found that AS agents had no idea about a lot of BA policies. For example, transiting vs layover. Contributors here on FT had answers before AS award desk. (BA charges more if you stay over rather than just transiting .) We are doing a 1 week layover on the way home. Fees are substantial.
Found out same about seat. We have F award SEA - BCN. BA does not have F cabins on their European flights. So, SEA to LHR is in F and we were able to select seats. LHR to BCN is in Business and not able to select seat without fee. Found out they are regular coach seats with tray across middle seat. No extra pitch or recline for business class. We will wait until 48 hours before and just select then. We do not have status on BA , which does make a difference .
Why would you expect AS reps to know about BA policies?

There is a departure tax in the UK. If you connect through the UK you don't have to pay it but if you originate travel there (including departing after a stopover) you do. This is not BA policy, it's UK law. The taxes are significant, and are much higher in premium cabins than in economy.

If you don't want to pay the tax, don't depart from the UK. There are other options.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
Found out same about seat. We have F award SEA - BCN. BA does not have F cabins on their European flights. So, SEA to LHR is in F and we were able to select seats. LHR to BCN is in Business and not able to select seat without fee. Found out they are regular coach seats with tray across middle seat. No extra pitch or recline for business class. We will wait until 48 hours before and just select then. We do not have status on BA , which does make a difference .
In BA's defence that is pretty much standard across all airlines inter-Europe..... I believe TK has some smaller aircraft with "better" Biz seats....but most are the same "EuroBusiness" type...
pbelmore likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Why would you expect AS reps to know about BA policies?
I (not the person you were asking) would expect AS reps to know BA policies as applicable to a ticket that AS is selling us, via miles or otherwise.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Its definitely a ridiculous fee, especially for J.
What do you think of fuel surcharges?
ijkh and QT31415 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trooper
In BA's defence that is pretty much standard across all airlines inter-Europe..... I believe TK has some smaller aircraft with "better" Biz seats....but most are the same "EuroBusiness" type...
IcelandAir has comfortable recliners (superior to domestic US non-lie-flat F seats) for J on all their flights, including within Europe. Also an AS partner...
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
It's been that way for years, whether mileage or purchased tickets; only F has been able to select seats. Imagine my shock when I purchased via Viking River Cruises this year and was able to pick a seat for no charge.

AS may not know anything about BA, but the same goes vice versa; tried to bring a guest into a Galleries lounge yesterday and was shot down, even after showing them the link from AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.