Search

NYC Based MVP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K MVP, Former United Premier 1K / American EXP
Question NYC Based MVP

Hi All,

Former United Premier Platinum and American EXP here. I'm a recent Alaska Airlines convert, after flying them to Seattle and Portland with flawless experiences and was given a status match to MVP Gold.

I don't fly as often as I used to but I will be flying cross country at least 4x this year, along with several jaunts down South (Houston, NOLA, MIA) and 3 trips out of country this year (Hong Kong, Italy, Colombia). The one problem is that I'm based out of NYC and it turns out Alaska doesn't fly to many places out of here. It's so bad that in order for me to get to MSY in NOLA, I'd have to fly to SFO and then to NOLA.

My question is: Is there anyone out there in a similar situation as me and what do you do? Simply fly partners to satiate the mileage? I'm really hoping to enjoy Alaska's loyalty program but I'm wondering if I'm doing it all wrong.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:40 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Sorry but you probably shouldn’t be flying Alaska as your main airline. Yes it has great service but NYC is not a hub. It’s an outstation. Unless you fly NYC-SEA/PDX on the super regular, you’re better served by another airline.

Personally I suggest Delta. Lots of nonstop NYC-SEA service including some lie-flats. And an excellent domestic and int’l network from JFK. If you only fly domestic, consider B6. Mint is dope.
jinglish and pbelmore like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by _fx
Sorry but you probably shouldn’t be flying Alaska as your main airline. Yes it has great service but NYC is not a hub. It’s an outstation. Unless you fly NYC-SEA/PDX on the super regular, you’re better served by another airline.

Personally I suggest Delta. Lots of nonstop NYC-SEA service including some lie-flats. And an excellent domestic and int’l network from JFK. If you only fly domestic, consider B6. Mint is dope.
DL has 3x/day, sometimes 4x, JFK<—>SEA; one, sometimes two, of those with lie-flats, and more often than not the second has standard domestic F service rather than the Delta One TCON “experience” ... other flights are generally 20F 757s or 739s, both of which are far more cramped than the 16F configuration on the AS 739s
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:16 pm

I was AS elite for a few years based out of BOS/PWM - back then it was easier to maintain b/c in addition to flying BOS-SAN quite a bit, I could credit all of my DL and AA flights. After that went away, I let status go, and only regained MVPG when I moved to SFO - and I've let that lapse as well.

It comes down to this - loyalty is harder and harder to justify. It makes sense if you would organically fly a lot with the same airline (either because you're hub captive, not spending your money, or for whatever reason your carrier of choice is always justifiably competitive on price and schedule). Out of NYC, you have so many choices that it probably makes more sense to fly on the price and schedule that you want, versus being loyal to anyone. DL and B6 are both very good. I had the same problem from BOS, and again at SFO - while they are hubs for at least one carrier, they are so well served that I just fly on price/schedule. I still prefer Alaska if the cost and schedule are in the ballpark, but, for instance, I'm not going to fly a redeye SFO-PHL on AS when AA has a better schedule. If it works out, it works out.

EDIT: One more thing worth saying is that the above applies assuming you'd be mid-tier. On the longer flights that you'd want to be upgraded on, you're not going to get upgraded at any significant rate on any carrier's mid-tier. If you can make top tier on some carrier, it might be a different story, but I have no experience there.
eponymous_coward and ashill like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:18 pm
_fx

Originally Posted by jrl767

DL has 3x/day, sometimes 4x, JFK<—>SEA; one, sometimes two, of those with lie-flats, and more often than not the second has standard domestic F service rather than the Delta One TCON “experience” ... other flights are generally 20F 757s or 739s, both of which are far more cramped than the 16F configuration on the AS 739s
I don’t get it, are you saying DL is a bad choice? With good timing you can get a lie flat. You will never get a lie flat on AS. If you’re inflexible sure you’ll get a recliner and the service might be sliiightly worse than AS but overall it’s perfectly fine. And most importantly, you can fly places that aren’t the west coast. Personally I don’t see why you’d fly an airline with minimal presence in your airport and no useful network for marginally better service.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by HungryNomad
The one problem is that I'm based out of NYC and it turns out Alaska doesn't fly to many places out of here.
Sure. But other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?
jinglish likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by _fx

I don’t get it, are you saying DL is a bad choice? With good timing you can get a lie flat. You will never get a lie flat on AS. If you’re inflexible sure you’ll get a recliner and the service might be sliiightly worse than AS but overall it’s perfectly fine. And most importantly, you can fly places that aren’t the west coast. Personally I don’t see why you’d fly an airline with minimal presence in your airport and no useful network for marginally better service.
You buy a lot of cheap fares that won’t earn sufficient MQDs for an equivalent status on DL,
and don’t have a taste for SkyPesos, plus even if you did send extra tribute in the form of MQDs, you will only make it to Gold Medallion unless you do a LOT of excess flying, and Gold would put you way down on the upgrade lists.

Whereas MVPG in an outstation for an airline not hubbed in your airport might work out OK.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 17, 2019 at 9:07 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
There are so many choices ex-NYC, and you don't necessarily have to be loyal to one carrier. Personaly, I am based out of of NYC, and I fly primarily on schedule and price, less so about status chasing.
eponymous_coward and PWMTrav like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by HungryNomad
My question is: Is there anyone out there in a similar situation as me and what do you do? Simply fly partners to satiate the mileage? I'm really hoping to enjoy Alaska's loyalty program but I'm wondering if I'm doing it all wrong.
It sounds like there are sufficient opportunities for you to earn status (Asia on CX, Italy on BA, etc) along with your planned cross country trips. The real question is whether you will then fly AS enough to enjoy the status...
milypan and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by _fx

I was simply taking literal issue with your saying DL has “lots” of NYC<—>SEA service, and making the point that the DL lie-flats which you seem to think are so important are only on half (and often less) of their flights ...
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:26 pm

I was simply taking literal issue with your saying DL has “lots” of NYC<—>SEA service, and making the point that the DL lie-flats which you seem to think are so important are only on half (and often less) of their flights ...
They don't have to be on every flight, just the one you want!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:05 pm
_fx

Ok, you’re right that it’s not like DL is offering flagship service on the route. But like you said, they offer 3-4x flights per day. And 1-2 is lie-flat. IMO that’s a legit alternative to AS.

I guess my point was just...it’s a nice option. It’s not like it’s AS vs WN where if OP choosees the latter the way they’re used to flying fundamentally changes.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: AS MVP
With 4x transcon on AS, 1x HKG on CX, 1x Italy on BA/AA, and 1x Colombia on LATAM, OP can still qualify for MVP Gold easily. You may need to take non-AS partner on your trips to MSY.

I'm west coast SFO/SJC based. I take AS as much as possible up and down the west coast and transcon as they've treated me very well over the years. I try to take AS partners transpacific and transatlantic. MVP is attainable for me. However I quite occasionally have to take other carriers to places like DEN/YYZ/YVR when AS is not a viable choice.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyingstudent
With 4x transcon on AS, 1x HKG on CX, 1x Italy on BA/AA, and 1x Colombia on LATAM, OP can still qualify for MVP Gold easily. You may need to take non-AS partner on your trips to MSY.

I'm west coast SFO/SJC based. I take AS as much as possible up and down the west coast and transcon as they've treated me very well over the years. I try to take AS partners transpacific and transatlantic. MVP is attainable for me. However I quite occasionally have to take other carriers to places like DEN/YYZ/YVR when AS is not a viable choice.
Why is YVR not a viable choice? No non-stops? Price? Just curious why as AS does fly to YVR via SEA/PDX and also codeshares with AA out of LAX. Even the AA coded flight LAX-YVR still accrues Mileage Plan Miles because it is international. Of course the AS codeshare earns 1:1 while the AA native will be based on class purchased.

James
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Why is YVR not a viable choice? No non-stops? Price? Just curious why as AS does fly to YVR via SEA/PDX and also codeshares with AA out of LAX. Even the AA coded flight LAX-YVR still accrues Mileage Plan Miles because it is international. Of course the AS codeshare earns 1:1 while the AA native will be based on class purchased.

James
no direct flights anymore, connects through SEA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.